Pages: 1 ... 1178 1179 1180 [1181] 1182 1183 1184 ... 2661   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Trivial things you don't understand/mildly annoy you  (Read 5240643 times)

Ignore
« Reply #17700 on: Saturday, October 4, 2014, 17:52:01 »

At 13/14 maybe. Not at 10. There's a lad that used to play with my eldest, they both played in the same U9s team in the bottom division and played in the same team until the lad moved on to another team at U12s. At U9s, he'd have been one of those you'd have written off as a "loser". Had a text from his Dad this morning to say he'd just accepted a two-year contract with a professional club Academy. Good job his coach didn't write him off.
I doubt I would have written him off as a loser. Maybe wouldn't stand out as one for the future as there are always surprises,maybe could have,but would definitely see something in a kid that age if it is there. 13/14 is too late more often than not.
That said my son would still be playing if he wasn't picked up so young. I'm absolutely certain of that.
No right or wrong answer I suppose. Just my opinion
« Last Edit: Saturday, October 4, 2014, 17:54:12 by arriba » Logged
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #17701 on: Saturday, October 4, 2014, 17:52:53 »

13/14 is too late more often than not.
For what? To tell a kid he's shit?

Ignore
« Reply #17702 on: Saturday, October 4, 2014, 17:56:14 »

For what? To tell a kid he's shit?
To see if they are good enough to step up. IE the example you gave
Flashheart

« Reply #17703 on: Saturday, October 4, 2014, 17:59:12 »

I know little to nothing about kid's football.

But I do know that statistically speaking, depending on the number of players available, it could be pretty much impossible to keep everybody happy.

Ignore
« Reply #17704 on: Saturday, October 4, 2014, 18:03:17 »

On the local football subject. Has anyone had their kid invited to train with Southampton or know of some who have?
I saw their scout last week whilst I was watching a local kids game.
He told me they have centres at futsal here in Swindon and another in calne.
They are looking predominantly for 7,8,9 year olds. They train with them and still play for their local clubs. At 9 you then are talking contracts for those they want to take on.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #17705 on: Saturday, October 4, 2014, 18:04:19 »

Southampton have a satellite academy in Bath so not too surprising

Ignore
« Reply #17706 on: Saturday, October 4, 2014, 18:06:04 »

Southampton have a satellite academy in Bath so not too surprising
Yeah I knew of that one. Didn't know they'd come into Swindon though.
Their local scout is an ex stfc cofe coach.
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #17707 on: Saturday, October 4, 2014, 18:08:41 »

Our fucking retard fans who decide to throw flares at today's game.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #17708 on: Saturday, October 4, 2014, 18:17:17 »

Our fucking retard fans who decide to throw flares at today's game.

Someone got kicked out by the old bill and they had to stop the game didnt they?

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #17709 on: Saturday, October 4, 2014, 18:18:39 »

To see if they are good enough to step up. IE the example you gave
Fair enough, although there will be exceptions. I was talking to the case raised in the thread though - of a 10 year old included in a squad, taken to a game then left to sit on the bench and watch his mates having fun playing while he's left to get the not very subtle message that the coach doesn't think he's good enough. That's not a case of "winners and losers", "life lessons" etc, that's just flat out wrong.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #17710 on: Saturday, October 4, 2014, 18:19:23 »

Yeah I knew of that one. Didn't know they'd come into Swindon though.
Their local scout is an ex stfc cofe coach.
Just started this September arriba.

Ignore
« Reply #17711 on: Saturday, October 4, 2014, 18:33:47 »

Fair enough, although there will be exceptions. I was talking to the case raised in the thread though - of a 10 year old included in a squad, taken to a game then left to sit on the bench and watch his mates having fun playing while he's left to get the not very subtle message that the coach doesn't think he's good enough. That's not a case of "winners and losers", "life lessons" etc, that's just flat out wrong.
Yes there will be exceptions. No disputing that.

I can only guess the game was tight and the coach didn't want to gamble on bringing the lad on. If not then that is not nice and understandably frustrating. Did the manager explain himself? That's what he should have done.
When you think of it football is the same at any age or level. People get left out. They travel, turn up etc and often don't play, manager doesn't fancy them for whatever reason. It is a harsh reality of the game.
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #17712 on: Saturday, October 4, 2014, 18:43:02 »

Someone got kicked out by the old bill and they had to stop the game didnt they?

Yes, and his mates decided to sing his name so he made a bolt for it. Got nicked on the side of the pitch

One of the flares just missed my daughter.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #17713 on: Saturday, October 4, 2014, 18:43:50 »

Yes there will be exceptions. No disputing that.

I can only guess the game was tight and the coach didn't want to gamble on bringing the lad on. If not then that is not nice and understandably frustrating. Did the manager explain himself? That's what he should have done.
When you think of it football is the same at any age or level. People get left out. They travel, turn up etc and often don't play, manager doesn't fancy them for whatever reason. It is a harsh reality of the game.
They lost 5-2. And no it's not the same at any age or level, once they get a bit older maybe but this was an U11s game, 1st/2nd round of the cup between an U11 Div 2 and Div 3 side. Even if they had been in with a shout of winning, makes no odds. If, as a coach, you're that desperate to win an U11s game, that you'd leave a 10 year old to just sit and watch his mates playing, humiliating him in front of his team-mates, you need to have a long hard look at why you're coaching. Because it sure as shit isn't for the good of the kids in the team.

EDIT: this may of course be a bit harsh on the particular bloke in question. I've no doubt he gives up huge amounts of his own time for no reward to coach kids and without people like him, loads of kids wouldn't get to play any football. But to extract the issue into the hypothetical, I'd still say it's wrong to take a 10 year old kid to a game and not let him play.
« Last Edit: Saturday, October 4, 2014, 19:40:00 by pauld » Logged
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #17714 on: Saturday, October 4, 2014, 18:48:08 »

Yes, and his mates decided to sing his name so he made a bolt for it. Got nicked on the side of the pitch

One of the flares just missed my daughter.

Ouch, she was lucky then.

That chap will get a banning order probably and then spend the next couple of years moaning how hard done by he is i bet
Pages: 1 ... 1178 1179 1180 [1181] 1182 1183 1184 ... 2661   Go Up
Print
Jump to: