Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Nasty Virus  (Read 2886 times)
stfcinbmth

« on: Sunday, May 16, 2010, 18:18:50 »

On my grand-daughters PC running Win 7 Ultimate

I suspect it's something to do with KIWE9 toolbar which I think she got via MSN
If you try to go online the two browsers IE and Firefox just redirect you to a router login page, tho I can still access the $ly router.

So basically there is no internet access, it is not hard wired but wireless

I've tried all the usual suspects Malwarebytes, Spybot etc but as they can't be updated it's a bit of a pain. Also tried scanning in safemode to no avail
Also tried GMER and combofix

I still have a Kaspersky scanner to try

And yes I could reinstall it, but that's just too easy

Any suggestions?

juddie

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, May 16, 2010, 18:20:29 »

si pie's your man for this...
stfcinbmth

« Reply #2 on: Sunday, May 16, 2010, 18:26:12 »

si pie's your man for this...

I thought he might be, thanks juddie
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #3 on: Sunday, May 16, 2010, 18:29:09 »

Have you looked for any associated programs and tried to remove them?

I've not used win7 but I assume there is a system restore function like in other previous versions. Likewise I assume the 'run as administrator' is like Vista.

Make sure that system restore is turned off (yes you will lose your restore points but it's the only way to remove a stubborn virus etc.). Log in under safe mode and run all your scans as administrator (right click and run as admin).

Then log in normally and do the same, making sure you run under administrator.

« Last Edit: Sunday, May 16, 2010, 18:32:06 by Si Pie » Logged
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, May 16, 2010, 18:29:37 »

just redirect you to a router login page

You mean a router other than your own. Some routers redirect to an "internet not available" page when the external (e.g.  ADSL) connection is down. I assume this is not the case here .
Barry Scott

« Reply #5 on: Sunday, May 16, 2010, 18:35:04 »

Could this be a hosts file issue? I'm only throwing that out there because it's the one thing i know of and want to look clever if it is. Smiley
stfcinbmth

« Reply #6 on: Sunday, May 16, 2010, 18:43:17 »

Have you looked for any associated programs and tried to remove them?

I've not used win7 but I assume there is a system restore function like in other previous versions. Likewise I assume the 'run as administrator' is like Vista.

Make sure that system restore is turned off (yes you will lose your restore points but it's the only way to remove a stubborn virus etc.). Log in under safe mode and run all your scans as administrator (right click and run as admin).

Then log in normally and do the same, making sure you run under administrator.

Yep there is a system restore which I've tried. No worries if I lose the restore points as I will reinstall if I get completely desperate.  So I'll knock system restore on the head and run all scans as Admin. Thanks for that.

@Batch, it's a non existent router, the connection is alive and well, as stated I can actually still access the $ly router, should I need to

If she's not a bit more careful I'll have to block MSN with OpenDNS, bless her. She's not allowed on youtube after her friends started showing scary vids which gave her bad dreams. It's a friggin minefield out there for kids
stfcinbmth

« Reply #7 on: Sunday, May 16, 2010, 18:44:23 »

Could this be a hosts file issue? I'm only throwing that out there because it's the one thing i know of and want to look clever if it is. Smiley

Guess I could update the hosts file for you Barry
stfcinbmth

« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, May 18, 2010, 16:47:58 »

Hosts file not needed Barry sorry

si kaspersky scanner worked a treat many thanks for your help and advice
Barry Scott

« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, May 18, 2010, 20:22:57 »

Sad Kaspersky is the bollocks. People who compile spyware, adware and viruses even say it's the best and that's all the recommendation i needed to use it before windows went in the bin. Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: