Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Upgrading Video Cards etc.  (Read 2802 times)
STFC_Gazza

« on: Wednesday, May 5, 2010, 14:04:17 »

Are there any computers taht people know of where you cannot upgrade the video/graphics cards or processors? Someone told me I cant on my computer but I am pretty sure I could and dont see any reason why I couldnt?
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, May 5, 2010, 14:08:14 »

Are there any computers taht people know of where you cannot upgrade the video/graphics cards or processors? Someone told me I cant on my computer but I am pretty sure I could and dont see any reason why I couldnt?
A lot of PCs have the graphics chip built in on the motherboard, but you can just add another graphics card and switch to using that. Some of the newer Atom PCs/nettops I think have the CPU also built in, but they're more in the "device" category than regular PCs anyway and aren't really designed for long lifecycles via upgrades etc.
I am pretty sure I could and dont see any reason why I couldnt?
Simple incompetence is the main reason, I'd have thought Smiley
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, May 5, 2010, 14:08:30 »

PM me Gaz and I will let you know, or txt me.

But yes on some computers you cannot upgrade either it is true.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
STFC_Gazza

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, May 5, 2010, 14:10:03 »

Brilliant I think there is a graphics chip built in. i did not know you can by-pass this.. Ill get a new graphics/video card and then a processor later on. i have 3GB Ram memory anyway but cant run many games in 3D due to the graphics card! Also can use Windows Aero on Windows 7 if I get a new video card!
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, May 5, 2010, 14:19:54 »

I'd PM jj the details first, he'll be able to tell you whether you can upgrade before you lash out any money. And unlike me, he actually knows what he's talking about
sheepshagger
Suburban Capitalist........

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, May 5, 2010, 14:33:37 »

It really depends what PC it is (actually the motherboard).....

If it has a free slot you can upgrade.  However you need to find out what "slot" it has - usually these days it will be PCI-Express - this means you can add a specific PCI-Express card and it will usually take over from the built in graphics - and just work once the software drivers are loaded....

However if it is pretty old it may be a PCI or an AGP slot which means you will need a different card altogether.....

What make is the PC ?  What model etc.... ?

Wise men say........
STFC_Gazza

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, May 5, 2010, 14:40:32 »

is there a programme to see what spec my PC is??? I havent a clue really it is an old shitty e-systems or e-machines. Running Windows 7 fine but not with Aero as graphics card is shit but apaprently you can bypass this? Also it is Celeron so upgrading to Pentium 4 as got a free chip.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, May 5, 2010, 14:47:06 »

is there a programme to see what spec my PC is??? I havent a clue really it is an old shitty e-systems or e-machines. Running Windows 7 fine but not with Aero as graphics card is shit but apaprently you can bypass this? Also it is Celeron so upgrading to Pentium 4 as got a free chip.

http://www.cpuid.com/download/cpuz/cpuz_154_setup.exe

run that and pm me the details of the motherboard make and model and I can tell you exactly what chip/graphics card you can use.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
stfcinbmth

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, May 5, 2010, 14:49:39 »

Whip the side of the case off and have a look to see if there is an AGP slot they are usually brown/blue compared to a pci slot which is usuall white

This proggy will give you your specs

Download green button top right

http://www.filehippo.com/download_everest_home/
STFC_Gazza

« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, May 5, 2010, 14:52:18 »

Thanks for your help. I would think there is someway. Even if it means getting a new motherboard I suppose... The PC runs fine but when I bought it I didnt want games etc. Now I do!
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, May 5, 2010, 21:32:27 »

Pentium 4 is pretty old technology now. You might struggle in some games still.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: