Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Chris Kamara  (Read 7231 times)
Power to people

Ignore
« on: Thursday, April 29, 2010, 12:57:54 »

Interesting extract in today's SUN from Chris Kamara's new book talking about how in 1988 he broke Shrewsbury's Jim Melrose's cheek bone, after a midfield tussle and then Melrose scoring the winner and celebrating in front of the fan's Chris sprinted the length of the pitch to hit him, x rays showed Jim had a depressed fracture of the cheekbone it ended his relationship with Macari and he missed the season waiting for the court case and was convicted of GBH.

Anyone remember this game ?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, April 29, 2010, 13:28:09 »

i didn't witness it but remember when it happened.the rumour that did the rounds at the time was that a racist comment was made about kamara's son,and he hit him because of that.no idea how true that is though
yeo

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, April 29, 2010, 13:55:13 »

Yes I was there,though all I rememeber are the Swindon fans hanging off the fencing  singing "Swindon agro"

/
W56196272
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, April 29, 2010, 16:15:30 »

I was there, my memory is the incident was at the end of the game. Kammy wacked Melrose as the players walked off....breaking his jaw.

Town suspended him, FA suspended him, local beak fined him. Triple whammy.
Oaksey Moonraker

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, April 29, 2010, 19:10:22 »

I was there, my memory is the incident was at the end of the game. Kammy wacked Melrose as the players walked off....breaking his jaw.

Town suspended him, FA suspended him, local beak fined him. Triple whammy.

Melrose was rumoured to have hit Kammy first and Kammy responded 'My son could have hit me harder'. Melrose response was racist along the lines 'Is he and ugly black c**t like you'. A few years later I worked with Kammy's brother in law and it had could have been proved that that Melrose held more racist views than that but basically the whole thing ended up getting swept under the carpet and Kammy took the wrap.

In some ways it worked quite well for him as he never played for Swindon again, went to Stoke and then the bigger move late in his career to Leeds in 1990 which gave him the wider profile for his media career.
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, April 29, 2010, 19:18:31 »

Says in that bit in the paper that the worst bit of abuse he got was off of a Pox fan whilst in charge of Bradford.

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #6 on: Thursday, April 29, 2010, 19:31:11 »

I was at the game and saw the incident. Kammy claimed racial abuse but then detracted the comments. I was glad it happened at Shrewsbury and not Leeds where Melrose was on loan from.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, April 29, 2010, 19:38:16 »

I talked to Kamara about it a few years later while at Cheltenham races...he made it quite clear to me that he felt Macari and the club didnt stand by him....in fact he seemed to dislike Macari intensly!
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, April 29, 2010, 20:32:09 »

I was there too. I remember looking away at the moment that Kamara threw the punch. I looked back and saw him running off down the tunnel. I too remember the 'Swindon aggro' chants! ;0)

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
wokinghamred

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, May 2, 2010, 19:06:41 »

I got in a punchup in the carpark after the game becasue of that elbow
One F In Fitton

« Reply #10 on: Thursday, May 6, 2010, 21:40:12 »

I was in the away seats that day & it happened pretty much right in front of me. I remember it was sudden, violent & over very quickly. All the players were doing the usual handshakes at the end of the game, & all of a sudden I noticed Kammy was sprinting up the pitch, I thought he was heading for the Town fans behind the goal, but then he stopped, walloped the racist (alleged - not doubting you, Kammy, but I've got to cover myself), & sprinted down the tunnel in what looked like a blind panic (which it probably was).

Definitely one of those WTF moments.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: