Poll
Question: Which would be best for the club, promotion via the playoffs or automatic promotion?
Automatic promotion
Playoff final win

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Promotion - Playoffs or Automatic?  (Read 6557 times)
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday, April 21, 2010, 17:08:30 »

I'm pretty sure a play-off final win would be the best way in terms of finances and publicity, so I voted for that.

I'm hoping for 2nd place though - from a fan's point of view the play-offs are very uncertain, nerve wracking and rather expensive!
crystall Tips

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday, April 21, 2010, 17:11:20 »

Auto for me.  Nerves already completely shot, would like the team to earn the right via points.   

Also, Jimmy Hill once said 'well the Swindon fans had a nice day out'  - that was after Wembley and demotion in 1990. So I don't hold with nice days out being alright, they are only good if you win and that's not guaranteed.
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday, April 21, 2010, 17:58:17 »

Put that in the special 69er edition!

It would make me laff!!

What makes it funnier is that the holiday's a present. And I'm supposed to be fucking grateful!

It's All Good..............
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday, April 21, 2010, 17:59:22 »

Automatic all the way. Let's face it you have a 1 in 4 chance in the play-offs. I still have very bad memories of the last time. I don't care if it's glamourous. It's fucking nail biting and depression when you lose.
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday, April 21, 2010, 18:18:45 »

What makes it funnier is that the holiday's a present. And I'm supposed to be fucking grateful!

I've already told the wife that anything I agree to in May is under the strictest of understanding that I can and will drop it based on playoff matches.  Auto for me, as it gives us an extra two/three weeks to get players in.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday, April 21, 2010, 18:20:50 »

I've already told the wife that anything I agree to in May is under the strictest of understanding that I can and will drop it based on playoff matches.  Auto for me, as it gives us an extra two/three weeks to get players in.

And out.
Spy

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday, April 21, 2010, 18:24:10 »

OK it seems like at least half of the people in this thread didn't grasp the fact the idea was not to choose between playoffs and automatic promotion but between a playoff final win and automatic promotion.

Blow Up
mexico red

Demasiado no es demasiado

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday, April 21, 2010, 18:25:28 »

depends if win the play offs or not
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday, April 21, 2010, 18:26:09 »

OK it seems like at least half of the people in this thread didn't grasp the fact the idea was not to choose between playoffs and automatic promotion but between a playoff final win and automatic promotion.

Blow Up

I'd still take automatic.
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday, April 21, 2010, 18:28:44 »

depends if win the play offs or not

Cheesy

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday, April 21, 2010, 19:50:11 »

But that is silly. Of course a playoff final win is better than second place. If only it was that easy.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday, April 21, 2010, 19:55:02 »

But that is silly. Of course a playoff final win is better than second place. If only it was that easy.

Not necessarily. I would say it is more of an achievement to finish second in this division of 'big teams' than to go up via the play offs. For that reason, I would actually take automatic.
Doore

« Reply #42 on: Wednesday, April 21, 2010, 19:58:37 »

Not necessarily. I would say it is more of an achievement to finish second in this division of 'big teams' than to go up via the play offs. For that reason, I would actually take automatic.

Second is more of a long-term achievement and you can look back on a whole season of success.  The play-offs offer a more instant "glory day" feeling where you end up remembering a couple of special days.

Of course, I'd be bloody delighted with either.  How times have changed that we can actually have this amusing debate.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday, April 21, 2010, 20:09:51 »

But Spy asked which would be better for the club, not which is the better achievement. The press, the extra £££ and the chance to take some potential new fans to Wembley outweigh anything else.

Personally I'd settle for second Smiley
Spencer_White

« Reply #44 on: Wednesday, April 21, 2010, 20:19:57 »

Automatic.

We need a new challenge. Weve had too much apathy and not enough enthusiasm from the fans for the past couple of seasons. Hopefully new grounds, new clubs, bigger clubs would get the fans going a bit again.

Play offs give you a no better chance than 1 in 4.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: