Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Austin to Stoke  (Read 28241 times)
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: Wednesday, April 14, 2010, 19:01:19 »

Paynter has actually scored the most penalties in the league.

To be fair, he still has to put the ball in the net and he does a good job of that. I certainly would discount them and then use it as reason to bash him.

Whether it suits your argument or not - penalties still count.

OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: Wednesday, April 14, 2010, 19:05:20 »

Paynter has actually scored the most penalties in the league.

To be fair, he still has to put the ball in the net and he does a good job of that. I certainly would discount them and then use it as reason to bash him.

Whether it suits your argument or not - penalties still count.

Strangely enough, I was just about to post something like..."it's not as though the penalty taker just stands back and watches whilst the ball propells itself into the net under its own steam"..or something along those lines Cool
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: Wednesday, April 14, 2010, 19:08:09 »

...thats how Darth Vader would take a penalty. If he actually played football, was real, had real jedi powers and wasnt dead.
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: Wednesday, April 14, 2010, 19:08:29 »

Seems stupid discounting pens. He's obviously got a bit of a knack with them. Hence him being our penalty taker and scoring a shit load of them.

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: Wednesday, April 14, 2010, 19:25:06 »

My comment was in response to a post suggesting Paynter was a better striker, pointing out the obvious fact that Austin has a better goal ratio. Even with the penalties on current goal ratio to minutes played, if Austin had played the same amount as Paynter he'd have scored 30 (5 more than Paynter).

I wasn't trying to slate Paynter as he's been more than impressive this season but Austin had been at least equally impressive. More so in my opinion, there is just something about him that says class.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: Wednesday, April 14, 2010, 19:28:03 »

Austin is a better finisher, no doubt about it. He's the most natural finisher I've ever seen in a Town shirt.

However, I think Paynter is the better player all round - but thats down to 10 years as a pro.

Austin is probably better than Paynter was at 20 and when Austin gets to 25...
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #81 on: Wednesday, April 14, 2010, 19:30:18 »

Paynter has been fantastic and so has Austin. Paynter causes more havoc outside the box than Austin and vice versa.

I can't believe there are still people out there who don't rate Paynter after the season he's been having (not aimed at Jonny because I don't think that's quite the context of his post). He's looked quality for the most part, look at the Leeds game...Paynter at his best - two goals, no penalties and possibly the pass of the match to set up Austin too. Austin only managed one goal and missed a couple of very good chances. That's football.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: Wednesday, April 14, 2010, 19:37:47 »

I didn't rate Paynter that highly last season nor at the beginning of this season but since Austin came along he has been outstanding, he hasn't been reliant on Austin either the way he was on Cox last season - he's standing on his own. I reckon the penalties show the difference in his game, the first few I thought he was going to miss (and he came very close to fucking them up) but now he looks as safe at taking them as Le Tissier was.
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: Wednesday, April 14, 2010, 19:39:06 »

Si, I've watched that little dink over and over again, it was just so fucking good.

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
Oaksey Moonraker

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: Wednesday, April 14, 2010, 19:41:03 »

I think it might be worth Billy looking at what happened earlier in his career. He started well at Port Vale and then had the big move to Hull before being shipped off to Southend which turned out to be another bad move. In his time at Swindon he has effectivly rebuilt his career again and is now producing the goods and well respected by the fans and management. How many times have we seen players have relative success at Swindon to not replicate that elsewhere in their careers.

With Charlie, I think he needs another season at this level or hopefully in the Championship with us. Look how Coxy benefitted from his second season with us banging in goals. There is bound to be dip at some point and if he makes the big Prem move then when this happens he will be either stuck in the stiffs (which is a terrible standard at all levels, bring back the old Football League Combination I say) or shipped on loan. Next season he can benefit from a full pre-season and build his strength, conditioning, fitness and maybe add a bit more pace that he will need at the next level.

I also think that maybe Colin Calderwood is watching Cuthbert and as a former defender been sent to assess him. Cuthbert is very much in the same mould as the Fridge
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: Wednesday, April 14, 2010, 19:43:44 »

Paynter has been fantastic and so has Austin. Paynter causes more havoc outside the box than Austin and vice versa.

I can't believe there are still people out there who don't rate Paynter after the season he's been having (not aimed at Jonny because I don't think that's quite the context of his post). He's looked quality for the most part, look at the Leeds game...Paynter at his best - two goals, no penalties and possibly the pass of the match to set up Austin too. Austin only managed one goal and missed a couple of very good chances. That's football.

Just my opinion like, but I think Billy Paynter is the closest thing we've had to a Sam Parkin replacement (be nice to see him back Saturday!) yet the crowd have never, seemingly fully taken to him.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #86 on: Wednesday, April 14, 2010, 19:44:15 »

Si, I've watched that little dink over and over again, it was just so fucking good.

It's almost on a par with the ball Igoe played through to Parkin at Elland Road in the cup a few years back. Austin did so much better than the Leeds players (ok they didn't do anything) that he thought he was offside.

That was liquid football Smiley
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: Wednesday, April 14, 2010, 19:45:23 »

Austin only managed one goal and missed a couple of very good chances.

He was more than unlucky with the chance at the end of the 1st half though, it was only the spin on the ball that stopped it from going in.
axs
naaarrrrrppppp

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: Wednesday, April 14, 2010, 20:29:27 »

Hmmm, I like Billy Paynter, but then I like Charlie Austin, which one is better? There's only one way to find out..........FIIIIIIIIIGHT!
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #89 on: Wednesday, April 14, 2010, 20:37:04 »

Hmmm, I like Billy Paynter, but then I like Charlie Austin, which one is better? There's only one way to find out..........FIIIIIIIIIGHT!

But please wait until the season is finished
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to: