Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 ... 28   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Books Books Booksy Books  (Read 111634 times)
A Gent Orange

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: Thursday, March 3, 2011, 14:44:32 »

Just reading Me Cheeta (sic) a fictional tale of the life of the chimp from the Tarzan films. Actually it's very good and probably much better if you know something of the Hollywood stars of the 50s. Really well written too and the device of the monkey perspective doesn't get in the way of the gags.
Lumps

« Reply #136 on: Thursday, March 3, 2011, 21:44:02 »

Just reading Me Cheeta (sic) a fictional tale of the life of the chimp from the Tarzan films. Actually it's very good and probably much better if you know something of the Hollywood stars of the 50s. Really well written too and the device of the monkey perspective doesn't get in the way of the gags.

Loved that. Weird as it sounds it had a really authentic tone. Reminded me of David Niven's "The Moon's a Balloon", also a top read.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: Tuesday, March 22, 2011, 19:44:01 »

Having a bit of a physics fest at the moment. Currently about halfway through Brian Cox's "Why Does E = mc˛?". An interesting read if a little challenging.

Spied an interesting book in Waterstones today called "Elephants on Acid: and Other Bizarre Experiments" which is next on my list.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: Tuesday, March 22, 2011, 20:05:57 »

Spied an interesting book in Waterstones today called "Elephants on Acid: and Other Bizarre Experiments" which is next on my list.

Looks interesting. I looked on Amazon and its available on Kindle so may well have a look at some point.

I liked this review
This book attempts to make light of a series of sick and disturbing experiments carried out on both animals and people....

But then they only gave it one star. Make your mind up FFS.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: Tuesday, March 22, 2011, 20:10:29 »

Amazon reviews are a lot like the comments section on the Adver site. A combination of complete thickos saying "Yeah, it was gert good!" or "It was shit, I couldn't understand nuffink" and then your dick waving types who like to flame the authors and try to rubbish their ideas/theories/writing style with absurd posturing.
london_red

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: Tuesday, March 22, 2011, 20:26:24 »

Having a bit of a physics fest at the moment. Currently about halfway through Brian Cox's "Why Does E = mc˛?". An interesting read if a little challenging.

After watching the first few "Wonders" episodes I was also spurred to check out Prof Cox's book. Definitely worth it if you're interested in that sort of thing, although I'm not sure I've had to go back and re-read so many bits of a book before to make sure I had the ideas right.

In conclusion, very interesting but made my head hurt.
Coca Fola

« Reply #141 on: Tuesday, March 22, 2011, 20:30:34 »

Recently read The Days Of The Consuls by Ivo Andric. Was a bit meh tbh, never really got going.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #142 on: Thursday, March 24, 2011, 16:36:17 »

After watching the first few "Wonders" episodes I was also spurred to check out Prof Cox's book. Definitely worth it if you're interested in that sort of thing, although I'm not sure I've had to go back and re-read so many bits of a book before to make sure I had the ideas right.

In conclusion, very interesting but made my head hurt.

Me too. Must have read it cover to cover about 5 times before I got it all.
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: Thursday, March 24, 2011, 23:20:29 »

Just picked up a new Jasper fforde book.  One of our thursdays is missing.  So far so good.

Never knowingly overstated.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: Sunday, March 27, 2011, 02:31:58 »

Although not overly baptised n the way of written literature as an entertainemnt form, I have read a few of the jasper fforde books, and I found them average. Do they class as genuine good books, or do people just read them because of the swindon references?

Things get better but they never get good
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #145 on: Sunday, March 27, 2011, 07:50:49 »

I think they just class as a bit of fun, a pleasant diversion from life not works of high literature.

Never knowingly overstated.
Processed Beats

I drop beats from this processed meat.

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: Sunday, March 27, 2011, 15:31:53 »

About to start A Week In December by Sebastian Faulks.

Any reviews/comments?
A Gent Orange

Ignore
« Reply #147 on: Sunday, March 27, 2011, 20:53:14 »

Finished Me Cheeta now, it was rather good and remarkably touching at the end - for a book based on the principle that you can't libel the dead.

Just started David Goldblatt's The Ball Is Round. So far it is superb -extremely interesting and so thoroughly researched and considered. The only problem is that it might take a while to finish.
« Last Edit: Monday, April 25, 2011, 21:01:27 by A Gent Orange » Logged
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #148 on: Thursday, June 9, 2011, 13:00:39 »

Without ploughing through 10 pages of posts has anyone read any of Jonathan Wilson's books such as "Inverting The Pyramid: The History Of Football Tactics" or "Why England Lose: And other curious phenomena explained"

If so are they worth a read ?
china red

« Reply #149 on: Thursday, June 9, 2011, 13:02:21 »

Any one know where I can download books for the ipad for free?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 ... 28   Go Up
Print
Jump to: