Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 ... 28   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Books Books Booksy Books  (Read 110927 times)
Processed Beats

I drop beats from this processed meat.

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: Saturday, January 8, 2011, 09:45:42 »

I have also just finished reading the third book, The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest. It's kept me from revising these last few weeks. But agreed, it was brilliant, and i found it really difficult to put it down. Such a pity that the author never got to witness his international success.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: Friday, February 11, 2011, 09:43:07 »

I'm reading Burmese Days by George Orwell.  Brilliant book.  I have read a lot of his others, but this one (Orwell's first) has more of a story to it than the others.  A proper page turner.  And like his other books...a powerful message as well.
DMR

« Reply #122 on: Friday, February 11, 2011, 17:38:04 »

I'm getting stuck in to Football and Gangsters by ex Sunday Mirror editor Graham Johnson - not exactly intellectual and no doubt mostly a load of hearsay and cobblers, but quite entertaining.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: Thursday, February 24, 2011, 21:24:31 »

Bit of a random one, this.  I didn't read this the whole way through (not my kind of book, really).  But someone recommended Robert Goddard's 'Never Go Back' to me on the strength of the opening chapter being set in Swindon...and some places I'm familiar with in particular.  I found this extract on the web:

Never Go Back

Actually mentions my two favourite pubs in Swindon in the space of a few paragraphs.
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: Thursday, February 24, 2011, 21:33:41 »

Just re-reading Raymond Chandlers The long Goodbye.  Marvellous.  Beautifully written hardboiled detective fiction.  You cant read it without picturing Boggart.

Never knowingly overstated.
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: Friday, February 25, 2011, 13:34:01 »

Bit of a random one, this.  I didn't read this the whole way through (not my kind of book, really).  But someone recommended Robert Goddard's 'Never Go Back' to me on the strength of the opening chapter being set in Swindon...and some places I'm familiar with in particular.  I found this extract on the web:

Never Go Back

Actually mentions my two favourite pubs in Swindon in the space of a few paragraphs.

There are a few of his books that mention Swindon - one of the charcters has a business there. A good if not great read.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: Friday, February 25, 2011, 17:14:06 »

A lot of the Dick Francis horse racing books had Swindon and the surrounding areas in them.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: Friday, February 25, 2011, 17:51:35 »

Its Ok but not much more. He's got a few facts wrong re Town scores - ie we beat the Arse 3-2 when  it was 4-3. Some of it is "unbelievable" as well. I wouldn't go out of my way to buy it but it would be OK to get it as a present.

Aye-he also says we lost 5-1 at Newcastle in the betting "scandal" game and completely re-invented the League cup semi-final v Wolves.Its not that good a read to be honest unlike Christian Roberts' tome,which is an impressive read.
« Last Edit: Friday, February 25, 2011, 20:06:41 by adje » Logged

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
PigFarmer

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: Friday, February 25, 2011, 23:44:25 »

Never Go Back

Found the pot, but my lazy scan read couldn't find t'other.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: Saturday, February 26, 2011, 12:40:25 »

It was the Beehive.
london_red

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: Thursday, March 3, 2011, 10:52:38 »

World Book Day today.

Just finished reading 'Moneyball' by Michael Lewis (excellent); now going to finally start reading the Millenium Trilogy I think.
jimmy_onions

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: Thursday, March 3, 2011, 11:00:53 »

am halfway through Patrick o Brien's series on Jack Aubrey and Stephan Maturin (Master and commander etc)...

they are sometimes hard going and wont be everyones cup of tea but i feckin love em...the suspense of the sea chases and battles is great...

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: Thursday, March 3, 2011, 11:26:38 »

just finished mick fleetwoods book.not a bad book at all,but at 21 years old now could do with an update.
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: Thursday, March 3, 2011, 13:55:18 »

"Bounce" by Matthew Syed is a superb book - just finished it - focusses on the theory that winners are made, not born and looks at a lot of the sports physcology behind world class performance (or lack of it). Gives some insight into where this season may have gone wrong - and also why manager's post-match interviews can get so repetitive....

Honestly, buy it.
Boeta

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: Thursday, March 3, 2011, 14:10:56 »

"Bounce" by Matthew Syed is a superb book - just finished it - focusses on the theory that winners are made, not born and looks at a lot of the sports physcology behind world class performance (or lack of it). Gives some insight into where this season may have gone wrong - and also why manager's post-match interviews can get so repetitive....

Honestly, buy it.

yep top quality book - you read dan coyle's the talent code? just as good if not better
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 ... 28   Go Up
Print
Jump to: