Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 28   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Books Books Booksy Books  (Read 110253 times)
Barry Scott

« Reply #105 on: Saturday, November 20, 2010, 08:44:37 »

Which leads me to my next point. I think it was a a waste of time trying to teach such classic texts to the majority of GCSE aged schoolboys. If it doesn't have football, guns, cars and grils in it then it wont work 75% of the time. At least I avoided The Bard.

Well said. I absolutely loathed English. I hated reading To Kill a Mockingbird, I despised Tess of the d'Urbervilles with a passion and Shakespeare was dull.

Expecting teens to read those books and get anything from them is a joke. I didn't finish any books in GCSE English.
bigbobjoylove

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: Wednesday, December 1, 2010, 10:22:08 »

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pay-As-You-Play-Success/dp/0955925339

Don't suppose anyone has got this? Would be nice to know what Swindon's Premier League transfers worked out to in today's money.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: Wednesday, December 1, 2010, 10:25:54 »

Around 7p would be my guess. Interesting reading the synopsis and the reviews that managerial ability is decided by how much you spend. That must make Lee Clark a completley crap manager.
land_of_bo

« Reply #108 on: Wednesday, December 1, 2010, 14:07:57 »

Just finished the new CJ Sansom - Heartstone. Love the Shardlake series of books.

Now moved on to book 13 of the Wheel of Time (Robert Jordan/Brandon Sanderson).
oxford_fan

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: Wednesday, December 1, 2010, 21:03:38 »

After seeing him interviewed on the BBC by Paxman the other night, I have ordered Christopher Hitchens' 'Letters to a Young Contrarian'.

Was after something Dawkins-like, but without the guff, to edge me toward atheism. Hitchens seems to fit the bill perfectly.
ibelieveinmrreeves
Should've gone to Specsavers

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: Wednesday, December 1, 2010, 23:22:26 »

Bought 'Ham on Rye' again, some 5 years after having bought and read it originally and left it in a hostel somewhere. Saw it in hmv for £3 so going to crack on with that tonight

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.
oxford_fan

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: Wednesday, December 1, 2010, 23:52:46 »

is that the one about his childhood? along with post office it's his best novel.

never got round to pulp, it didn't really appeal to me.
Barry Scott

« Reply #112 on: Wednesday, December 1, 2010, 23:58:55 »

After seeing him interviewed on the BBC by Paxman the other night, I have ordered Christopher Hitchens' 'Letters to a Young Contrarian'.

Was after something Dawkins-like, but without the guff, to edge me toward atheism. Hitchens seems to fit the bill perfectly.

I haven't read the above, but "God is Not Great - How Religion Poisons Everything" is very good. (By Hitchens of course.)
A Gent Orange

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: Thursday, December 2, 2010, 07:47:06 »

is that the one about his childhood? along with post office it's his best

100% true fact.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #114 on: Thursday, December 2, 2010, 09:46:34 »

You're going to love him. A lot of his debates are on youtube too. Check them out. The one between him and Tony Blair is brilliant.
Barry Scott

« Reply #115 on: Friday, December 10, 2010, 15:40:16 »

Just finished The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Found it OK. Wouldn't recommend it and didn't find the twist, which many mentioned to me, anything of note. I think it's reputation and the fact everyone thinks it's brilliant might have meant I expected more, but I found it incredibly slow up until about the final 1/4 and even then it wasn't particularly sprightly. Very average.

Now I'm going to plough through the other 2 as I bought them all at once. Hopefully they improve.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #116 on: Friday, December 10, 2010, 19:00:02 »

Just finished The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Found it OK. Wouldn't recommend it and didn't find the twist, which many mentioned to me, anything of note. I think it's reputation and the fact everyone thinks it's brilliant might have meant I expected more, but I found it incredibly slow up until about the final 1/4 and even then it wasn't particularly sprightly. Very average.

Now I'm going to plough through the other 2 as I bought them all at once. Hopefully they improve.

I really enjoyed it and could see what the fuss was about. Books 2 and 3 pretty much run into each other but well worth a read. 
bigbobjoylove

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: Friday, December 10, 2010, 19:33:57 »

Chris Kamara 'Mr Unbelievable' worth a read anyone? Heard it had quite a bit about his time at Swindon.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #118 on: Friday, December 10, 2010, 21:17:01 »

Chris Kamara 'Mr Unbelievable' worth a read anyone? Heard it had quite a bit about his time at Swindon.
Its Ok but not much more. He's got a few facts wrong re Town scores - ie we beat the Arse 3-2 when  it was 4-3. Some of it is "unbelievable" as well. I wouldn't go out of my way to buy it but it would be OK to get it as a present.
Barry Scott

« Reply #119 on: Saturday, January 8, 2011, 01:48:27 »

I really enjoyed it and could see what the fuss was about. Books 2 and 3 pretty much run into each other but well worth a read. 

Keep meaning to up date this to agree with you. After finishing all 3 I liked the first a bit more. I absolutely loved 2 and 3 - they should really be one book. On several occasions 3 kept me up until 5am because I kept saying that I could read just a little bit more and was almost unable to put the thing down.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 28   Go Up
Print
Jump to: