Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 ... 28   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Books Books Booksy Books  (Read 110226 times)
Amir

« Reply #75 on: Thursday, October 21, 2010, 13:13:21 »

I'm reading Naïve. Super by Erlend Løe at the moment, excellent read so far

Great book.  Completely different, but have you checked out Knut Hamsen?

I'm currently reading Shantaram, which is spellbinding so far.

I have the freedom to be a book-reading machine at the moment, the most compelling to mind being The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami.  I fucking love that book.
jb

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: Thursday, October 21, 2010, 13:28:28 »

Great book.  Completely different, but have you checked out Knut Hamsen?

I'm currently reading Shantaram, which is spellbinding so far.

I have the freedom to be a book-reading machine at the moment, the most compelling to mind being The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami.  I fucking love that book.

Same here! Immense isn't it!!
Amir

« Reply #77 on: Thursday, October 21, 2010, 13:37:18 »

I'm enjoying it so much I really hope the film never sees the light of day!

Having been travelling through India a couple of months ago, it almost makes me want to plunge back into the dirty, smelly, corrupt, unique place that it is.  As with all books like this however, it grinds me that I'll never know how much of it is actually true.
jb

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: Thursday, October 21, 2010, 13:47:03 »

I'm enjoying it so much I really hope the film never sees the light of day!

Having been travelling through India a couple of months ago, it almost makes me want to plunge back into the dirty, smelly, corrupt, unique place that it is.  As with all books like this however, it grinds me that I'll never know how much of it is actually true.

Agreed on every account.

It's making me really want to go back there, makes it so much better I imagine having been to the country. Where abouts have you been in India?

I was saying this to someone earlier this week that there is no way that he can remember such fine details. However I still like to believe that it is true. I think he's already stated it is a story based on his life and not so much an autobiography.

Have you been on GDRs website? Inspirational guy.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: Thursday, October 21, 2010, 14:09:22 »

This means that he definitely wants to bomb people.
It means Crispy's been funding the jihad!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: Thursday, October 21, 2010, 16:14:59 »

Always found that no matter how good or how utterly dire a film is, the book invariably does it far far better.... and doesn't miss huge chunks of important information out too!

About a year ago, I read Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. A massive 800 page tome which had been sat on my bookshelf for ages. It was ace.  It's now been serialised on the TV, C4 I think, but don't think I'll bother watching, it can't be as good as the book.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: Thursday, October 21, 2010, 18:21:18 »

Ha ha ha, that's brilliant if true

He definitely converted to be Muslim. The guys at the Mosque call him "Kareem".   I don't know if he was previously agnostic, I made that bit up.

Apparently he got into it as he quite liked smoking the Shisha pipes in a cafe in Cardiff called Mazza.  The owners there were Muslims and as he got to know them and their religion it seemed right to him.

I'm not one for religion in any form myself, but if he finds good and peace from it then good luck to him.

shuffler

« Reply #82 on: Thursday, October 21, 2010, 18:45:20 »

I'm reading Kill Your Friends by John Niven. It's brutally brilliant.

Just finished The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay. I can't recommend that book enough. Easily one of the best books I've ever read.
Lumps

« Reply #83 on: Thursday, October 21, 2010, 19:26:35 »

Always found that no matter how good or how utterly dire a film is, the book invariably does it far far better.... and doesn't miss huge chunks of important information out too!

Doesn't always work. The TV series of "Oranges are not the only fruit" was really good and the book was dull as fuck.
Weasel

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: Thursday, October 21, 2010, 19:33:21 »

He definitely converted to be Muslim. The guys at the Mosque call him "Kareem".   I don't know if he was previously agnostic, I made that bit up.

Apparently he got into it as he quite liked smoking the Shisha pipes in a cafe in Cardiff called Mazza.  The owners there were Muslims and as he got to know them and their religion it seemed right to him.

I'm not one for religion in any form myself, but if he finds good and peace from it then good luck to him.

Oh for fuck's sake. I was just getting to that bit and you've ruined the twist for me now.

Going to watch The Sixth Sense in a bit too, got anything on that have you?!
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: Thursday, October 21, 2010, 19:41:20 »

Going to watch The Sixth Sense in a bit too, got anything on that have you?!

What has The Sixth Sense and Titanic got in common? I see dead people.

Nah, it works better as a spoken joke that one.
nochee

« Reply #86 on: Thursday, October 21, 2010, 19:59:37 »

I'm reading Kill Your Friends by John Niven. It's brutally brilliant.

Just finished The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay. I can't recommend that book enough. Easily one of the best books I've ever read.

I've read that twice now, brilliant book. A true cunt of the highest order.

Just finished Conn Igguldens final book in the Genghis Khan series, Empire of silver. Highly recommended.

Just about to start Ben Eltons Meltdown.
cavpete

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: Friday, October 22, 2010, 08:42:55 »

Just finished Erich von Danikens Gift of the gods. Not a bad read if you like alternative theories to how man established himself on earth.

jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #88 on: Friday, October 22, 2010, 09:20:38 »

Just finished Conn Igguldens final book in the Genghis Khan series, Empire of silver. Highly recommended.

Didn't realise that was out yet, cheers!
Barry Scott

« Reply #89 on: Wednesday, October 27, 2010, 16:24:05 »

Daemon by Daniel Suarez is a cracking read. Techno thriller and basically a "Matrix" of the book world. Just finished the follow up Freedom.

Finished this before bed last night. Didn't like the ending at all, but really enjoyed it up to that point and loved the book overall. In fact I felt the whole of part 3 was quite weak, but will still download Freedom, to hopefully close that extremely open hole - after I've read the next in my queue! Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 ... 28   Go Up
Print
Jump to: