Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 28   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Books Books Booksy Books  (Read 111198 times)
Spy

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday, August 3, 2010, 23:15:35 »

This has inspired me to watch the film Fatherland again. Maybe i should read the book first though. Is it long?

Basically the internet has ruined my motivation/ability to read books.
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: Wednesday, August 4, 2010, 00:05:31 »

This has inspired me to watch the film Fatherland again. Maybe i should read the book first though. Is it long?

Basically the internet has ruined my motivation/ability to read books.

Much better than the film and well worth it.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
land_of_bo

« Reply #62 on: Wednesday, August 4, 2010, 07:11:06 »

You should try some of the early Neal Stephenson if you like that kind of stuff.
Will look them out, cheers
Wotwot

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: Wednesday, August 4, 2010, 09:37:22 »

Always found that no matter how good or how utterly dire a film is, the book invariably does it far far better.... and doesn't miss huge chunks of important information out too!
Spy

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: Wednesday, August 4, 2010, 11:45:05 »

There's always exceptions - I started reading Silence of the Lambs and found it really boring. Same with Jurassic Park.

Admittedly I didn't read very much of either but yeah, those books were boring to me.
Arch Stanton

Wallowing in negativity

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: Saturday, September 4, 2010, 08:52:20 »

Just finished 'Bad Monkeys' by Matt Ruff.

Fantastic book, I can highly recommend it - think Phillip K Dick meets Chuck Palahniuk and you're somewhere near. There's copious drug taking, terrorist bombs, massive paranoia, cool guns, axe-wielding clowns and underage sex, seriously - it has it all.....

It’s quite a short book, so dependent on how quickly you read you could do it in a few days.

When I was halfway through I was thinking 'I wonder why the rights to this haven't been bought by the film industry, as it would make a great David Fincher-esque film' so on that basis I started getting worried that the end was going to be shit, it wasn’t....
Processed Beats

I drop beats from this processed meat.

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: Saturday, September 4, 2010, 09:36:22 »

Daemon by Daniel Suarez is a cracking read. Techno thriller and basically a "Matrix" of the book world. Just finished the follow up Freedom.

Read this on your advice and 100% agree. The bloke obviously has some intelligence in this area, and i enjoyed it alot. Now onto Freedom myself.

Also, had book one of the Millenium trilogy delivered. I've read its quite hard to get into to begin with, any reviews?
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: Saturday, September 4, 2010, 09:38:35 »

I'm reading Naïve. Super by Erlend Løe at the moment, excellent read so far
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: Thursday, October 21, 2010, 12:26:49 »

Just finished reading Christian Roberts book "Life is a Game of Inches".

Its a bit short but quite readable. He was obviously pretty messed up most of the time he was with City and us. At the worst point he claims to have drunks 15-20 Stellas a week day + shots inbeteen and more at the weekend.

Is there enough in there about what happened behind the scenes at Swindon. Probably not, but its not the point of the book really.

I won't say too much more in case others haven't read it yet. Suffice to say whatever you think of the man it seems he has turned his life around and is now seems to be doing a lot of good in the community.

Oh, and Crispy won't like it.

Ooooh Cristian Roberts,
he used to be agnostic, he's a muslim now!
juddie

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: Thursday, October 21, 2010, 12:30:44 »

the Millennium trilogy is immesne PB. It's a bit slow to get going because all the character and place names are in Swedish, but it's good. Very good. I've just finished the last one: immense. Stick with it, it's worth it...
jb

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: Thursday, October 21, 2010, 12:35:20 »

Just finished reading Christian Roberts book "Life is a Game of Inches".

Its a bit short but quite readable. He was obviously pretty messed up most of the time he was with City and us. At the worst point he claims to have drunks 15-20 Stellas a week day + shots inbeteen and more at the weekend.

Is there enough in there about what happened behind the scenes at Swindon. Probably not, but its not the point of the book really.

I won't say too much more in case others haven't read it yet. Suffice to say whatever you think of the man it seems he has turned his life around and is now seems to be doing a lot of good in the community.

Oh, and Crispy won't like it.

Ooooh Cristian Roberts,

Is he really?
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: Thursday, October 21, 2010, 12:39:35 »

yes he is

land_of_bo

« Reply #72 on: Thursday, October 21, 2010, 12:49:08 »

Read this on your advice and 100% agree. The bloke obviously has some intelligence in this area, and i enjoyed it alot. Now onto Freedom myself.

Also, had book one of the Millenium trilogy delivered. I've read its quite hard to get into to begin with, any reviews?

Glad to hear that...Freedom isn't as good but still a page turner & thought provoker.

TGWTDT is good, takes about 100 or so pages for the first one to get going but it's all good after the slow start.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: Thursday, October 21, 2010, 12:52:32 »

Ooooh Cristian Roberts,
Ha ha ha, that's brilliant if true
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #74 on: Thursday, October 21, 2010, 13:07:05 »

This means that he definitely wants to bomb people.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 28   Go Up
Print
Jump to: