Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 28   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Books Books Booksy Books  (Read 110921 times)
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday, April 6, 2010, 23:09:42 »

Child 44 is also very good!

Yes it is.  Follow it up with The Secret Speech (the second novel).

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #31 on: Wednesday, April 7, 2010, 05:59:38 »

If anyone is into a bit of old school warfare and history then I highly recommend the Warlord Chonicles by Bernard Cornwell. He is the guy who did the Sharpe Novels. It's a trilogy that starts with a book called The Winter King and is a quirky little twist on the King Arthur legend. It was so good I read the whole trilogy in four sessions.
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday, April 7, 2010, 08:56:59 »

If anyone is into a bit of old school warfare and history then I highly recommend the Warlord Chonicles by Bernard Cornwell. He is the guy who did the Sharpe Novels. It's a trilogy that starts with a book called The Winter King and is a quirky little twist on the King Arthur legend. It was so good I read the whole trilogy in four sessions.

Sounds just right for me, thanks.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #33 on: Wednesday, April 7, 2010, 09:05:20 »

Those three books got me hooked on history novels. I regularly read all sorts ranging from Roman times, The Chin Empire, The Mongols and British history which is by far my favourite. Cornwell has done another series of books covering the Kingdom of Wessex and King Alfred's gradual ascention to the throne of the whole of England, all the Norse invasions and everything. That series hasn't finished yet but the next one is out in about 3 weeks. I can't wait Smiley
Phil_S

Who changed my Avatar ?!

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday, April 7, 2010, 09:09:53 »

Conn Iguldssssssen's books are a good read. He's done 4 on Caesar & 3 on Ghengis Khan

From the Dark Side
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #35 on: Wednesday, April 7, 2010, 10:46:16 »

Conn Iguldssssssen's books are a good read. He's done 4 on Caesar & 3 on Ghengis Khan

Seconded. If he's the guy I'm thinking of, aren't the Caeser books a biogaphy of Caesars life? If so the bit where he gets marooned on the north African coast of the Med, and marches up and down the little villages raising an army to re-take his fleet is fucking ace!
Luci

Fatbury's Stalker

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Sunday, August 1, 2010, 20:00:53 »

Anyone got any new suggestions?

Going to order Robbie Savages aautobiography as looks like a good read but need some good relatively light hearted holiday reading!
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Sunday, August 1, 2010, 20:38:15 »

Try some Ibsen. He's, totally, like, the Shakespeare of Norway
jutty274

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Sunday, August 1, 2010, 21:01:38 »

I find Dean Koontz a good read for thrillers but if you like sci fi then you can't beat war of the flowers by Tad Williams.
Arch Stanton

Wallowing in negativity

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Sunday, August 1, 2010, 21:34:42 »

The City and The City by China Mieville is a truely fantastic book, unfortunately to mention anything about the plot would spoil the central premise of the story.

I wish I had read it without knowing the 'unique-ness' of the City (and the City), cos I imagine it'll be quite weird at first trying to understand whats going on. Unfortunately thats quite difficult to do because every review of it reveals all.

So if you want read a book about a different kind of city then buy this, read it, avoid all spoiler reviews.
thedarkprince

Hubba-hubba

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Sunday, August 1, 2010, 21:54:51 »

James Ellroy's American Tabloid trilogy. Re-reading it at the moment (on the second one Cold Six Thousand) and it's fantastic

I'm half-way through Blood's A Rover.  Very, very addictive.

Other recent books that are worth a read:
Jack Kerouac's On The Road - 1940's American road trip novel, largely autobiographical.
Andy Martin's Stealing The Wave - big-wave surfing rivalry between Ken Bradshaw and Mark Foo.
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Sunday, August 1, 2010, 22:24:38 »

Currently reading Armando Ianucci's the audacity of hype.  A collection of his columns and that sort of shite, but very amusing as you would expect.

Never knowingly overstated.
Rich Pullen

« Reply #42 on: Sunday, August 1, 2010, 22:40:52 »

I've got 'Audacity of Hype' and it is indeed very good.

Steve Martin's 'Born Standing Up' is brilliant.
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Monday, August 2, 2010, 05:19:22 »

I read anything and everything. Just finished 'The Count Of Monte Cristo' (For about the 10th time).

I've also got a Michael Connelly thriller on the go (Blood Works) as well as Eric Hobsbawm's 'The Age Of Extremes' (Another book I've read before).

For something that's easy to pick up and put down, you can't beat Bill Bryson.

It's All Good..............
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Monday, August 2, 2010, 09:07:15 »

I like Helen Forrester....just finished reading By The Waters Of Liverpool.
A great account of living in Liverpool/Bootle during wartime Britain........will endeavour to read more of her novels.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 28   Go Up
Print
Jump to: