Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 28   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Books Books Booksy Books  (Read 110202 times)
ibelieveinmrreeves
Should've gone to Specsavers

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Monday, April 5, 2010, 23:19:07 »

Last book I read was one of the 33 1/3 series - on Pixies' Doolittle record. Fantastic read, for me. I have Neutral Milk Hotel's In The Aeroplane Over The Sea from the same series to read next.

I second the recommendation of The Miracle of Castel di Sangro, and would add Tim Parks' A Season With Verona.

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #16 on: Tuesday, April 6, 2010, 10:37:48 »

I have a copy of To Kill a Mockingbird. I think I managed the first chapter before getting in a rage. I fucking hate books that are written in dialect. I might give it another go soon.

I am waiting for my next four books to arrive, hopefully they'll be here today. I order A Brief History of Time (Hawking), The Origin of the Species (Darwin), some other sciencey type book which I can't remember and another Culture novel by Iain M Banks, Consider Phlebas I think it's called.

In the mean time I'm reading a James Patterson novel for the fifth time. I need more books!
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday, April 6, 2010, 10:48:26 »

I really hated To Kill a Mockingbird, partially for the GCSE reasons and partially because it was possibly the worst concealed allegory of all time and contained virtually no characters of any depth or interest. I consider this to be one of things that I'm right and everyone else is wrong on, much like the Arctic Monkeys.

I'm recently started working my way through the Discworld novels, which are excellent.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday, April 6, 2010, 11:36:06 »

I am waiting for my next four books to arrive, hopefully they'll be here today. I order A Brief History of Time (Hawking), The Origin of the Species (Darwin), some other sciencey type book which I can't remember

Good luck with them, I couldn't get my head round either of them and gave up pretty quickly. Really need to give Origin another go as it's one of those books I feel I need to read. I'd keep away from Richard Dawkins as well, I've tried a few of his books and none of them made any sense whatsoever.

Found Steve Jones' books a lot easier going, especially The Language Of The Genes which is one of my all time favourites.
land_of_bo

« Reply #19 on: Tuesday, April 6, 2010, 11:39:04 »

I read quite a lot. Just finished the Millenuim Trilody (Girl with Dragon tattoo etc) which are very good.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday, April 6, 2010, 11:46:18 »

I think the last book I read for the first time was Provided You don't kiss me, the Brian clough biog (very good it is), but that was over a year ago!

I need to get into reading, but it's just so dull

Things get better but they never get good
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday, April 6, 2010, 11:53:42 »

In the mean time I'm reading a James Patterson novel for the fifth time. I need more books!

Try the library by the Town Hall...there's shed loads of books in there  Book Read
Doore

« Reply #22 on: Tuesday, April 6, 2010, 15:03:06 »

I need to get into reading, but it's just so dull

Reading a good book is just about the best way to relax on your own (steady on, I said just about) - its only dull if you are reading a dull book.  Try another one, there's quite a few of them you know.
nochee

« Reply #23 on: Tuesday, April 6, 2010, 15:22:28 »

I read quite a lot. Just finished the Millenuim Trilody (Girl with Dragon tattoo etc) which are very good.

These books are fantastic. The first book takes 100 pages to get going but after that its really addictive. Shame he (Steig Larsson) died without knowing how popular the books have become.
juddie

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday, April 6, 2010, 15:33:47 »

some cracking suggestions on here.

I'd mirror those footie suggestions, and would add Damned United, obviously.  And if you can put aside the fact he plyed for reading, there's a good book about Robin Friday, too.

David Simons books also good, although they're f*cking massive!

I would also add anything by PJTracy, Elmore Leonard or in particular, Carl Hiassen for high octane comedy thriller.

Also Ben Mezrich. His books are cool.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #25 on: Tuesday, April 6, 2010, 15:49:29 »

Good luck with them, I couldn't get my head round either of them and gave up pretty quickly. Really need to give Origin another go as it's one of those books I feel I need to read. I'd keep away from Richard Dawkins as well, I've tried a few of his books and none of them made any sense whatsoever.

Found Steve Jones' books a lot easier going, especially The Language Of The Genes which is one of my all time favourites.

I've read a Brief History of Time before, I just wanted to have a copy for myself. I love geeky shit like that.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday, April 6, 2010, 18:02:53 »

Reading a good book is just about the best way to relax on your own (steady on, I said just about) - its only dull if you are reading a dull book.  Try another one, there's quite a few of them you know.

It's not so much the quality of books, i just have a short attention span when it comes to trying to focus on how a story is developing. I don't really watch many films or TV series' either for that very reason

Things get better but they never get good
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday, April 6, 2010, 20:20:45 »

Just read 'The Falls' which is a Rebus novel. Rankine's novels are always a good read.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Talk Talk

« Reply #28 on: Tuesday, April 6, 2010, 21:04:12 »

Fixed it for you.

It's not so much the quality of books, i just have a short attention span when it comes to trying to...um...what was I saying?
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday, April 6, 2010, 21:04:49 »

Fixed it for you.

Cheesy Good work TT
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 28   Go Up
Print
Jump to: