Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 [26] 27 28   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Books Books Booksy Books  (Read 110189 times)
Richie Wellen-Dowd

« Reply #375 on: Wednesday, June 5, 2019, 05:53:32 »

This year Ive read a few things.  Haruki Murakamis latest 'Killing Commendatore', Johnathon Coe's 'Middle England', Max Porters 2 books 'Grief is a feathered thing' and 'Lanny' (Weird but excellent), Chuck Pahlaniuks 'Adjustment Day',  Kate Tempests collection of poetry and Brian Bilstons poetry as well.

Next up is Brian Bilstons novel, 'Diary of a somebody'.

How was the Murakami one? I've read a few of his and nothing has really come close to The Wind-up Bird Chronicle.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #376 on: Wednesday, June 5, 2019, 10:32:56 »

I'm going through a spell of reading books that I probably should've read a long time ago but never did. Recently finished Jurassic Park (very different from the film) and currently part-way through Dune.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #377 on: Wednesday, June 5, 2019, 10:47:51 »

I just read 1984 for the first time.

quite enjoyed it. didn't end as I thought. which is also good.

its great to be able to think about the imagination it took from when it was written. must have been even better to read it at that time though
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #378 on: Wednesday, June 5, 2019, 11:21:37 »

How was the Murakami one? I've read a few of his and nothing has really come close to The Wind-up Bird Chronicle.

Enjoyed the Murakami.  Ive read an awful lot of it and always enjoy them whilst I read them but find myself slightly bemused about what it was all about in the end.  Rewarding nonetheless.

Never knowingly overstated.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #379 on: Monday, November 25, 2019, 22:24:24 »

Has anyone got any recommendations for a crime based novel. I get bored while reading so need something that starts well.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Richie Wellen-Dowd

« Reply #380 on: Monday, August 24, 2020, 06:24:48 »

Finally finished The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell at the third time of asking. I'd normally give up on a book in this case but I realised it was other distractions rather than the book this time. Not his favourite book of my, though it kept me intrigued as he's such a masterful storyteller, and the ending had me gripped.

Next is Neither Wolf Nor Dog by Kent Nerburn.

It actually is this time.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #381 on: Monday, August 24, 2020, 07:09:18 »

this Mike Tyson 'autobiography' is not bad but it's starting to drag a bit
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #382 on: Monday, August 24, 2020, 07:19:30 »

I'm reading I am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes at the moment after a couple of recommendations. Its a real page-turner!

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
molepar

Ignore
« Reply #383 on: Monday, August 24, 2020, 07:39:47 »

The wind up bird chronicle was good (very long too). I liked Kafka on the shore and Norwegian Wood. I am pilgrim was a great read too. I think they are in the process of making a film version.
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #384 on: Monday, August 24, 2020, 08:22:47 »

The wind up bird chronicle was good (very long too). I liked Kafka on the shore and Norwegian Wood. I am pilgrim was a great read too. I think they are in the process of making a film version.

Oh really? I think it would make a great film based on the 38% I have read so far!

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
molepar

Ignore
« Reply #385 on: Monday, August 24, 2020, 10:41:44 »

Oh really? I think it would make a great film based on the 38% I have read so far!
I’m not sure how far into the process they are. I think the rights have been purchased and any further progress has probably been scuppered by coronavirus.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #386 on: Monday, August 24, 2020, 12:34:36 »

Has anyone got any recommendations for a crime based novel. I get bored while reading so need something that starts well.

You ever read The Night Stalker. Interesting take in that one.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Barry Scott

« Reply #387 on: Monday, August 24, 2020, 12:55:13 »

I'm reading I am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes at the moment after a couple of recommendations. Its a real page-turner!

I read this some time back and just had to go and read numerous reviews to remind myself.

I enjoyed it, but it reminded me of a Michael Bay film, ridiculous, but enjoyable nonetheless (although most Michael Bay films aren't that enjoyable). I think I recall being mildly annoyed by massive strokes of luck and coincidences.
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #388 on: Monday, August 24, 2020, 13:01:10 »

I read this some time back and just had to go and read numerous reviews to remind myself.

I enjoyed it, but it reminded me of a Michael Bay film, ridiculous, but enjoyable nonetheless (although most Michael Bay films aren't that enjoyable). I think I recall being mildly annoyed by massive strokes of luck and coincidences.

Yeah I get where you are coming from. I am probably going to read the last section of the book shaking my head and thinking 'that's just ridiculous'

Thanks for spoiling it for me Barry!! Wink

Barry Scott

« Reply #389 on: Monday, August 24, 2020, 13:17:21 »

Haha, sorry. I should've been more thoughtful, as once I noticed certain things, I then seemed to notice them on almost every page, which detracted from my enjoyment a touch!  Girl Giggle
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 [26] 27 28   Go Up
Print
Jump to: