Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Books Books Booksy Books  (Read 110254 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #360 on: Thursday, November 2, 2017, 12:01:35 »

I stood mo my kindle this morning and broke the screen Sad
StfcRusty

Ignore
« Reply #361 on: Friday, November 3, 2017, 08:40:21 »

David Squires' new book of football cartoons is out. The only reason for not buying this is if you haven't yet bought the first one, in which case you should buy that and then buy the new one once you've read the first. Sample here:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2017/nov/02/david-squires-on-socrates-and-the-corinthians-democracy-movement

Should be straight on the Christmas list for anyone who likes football or laughing. Which now I think about it, probably excludes most people on here, as being a Swindon Town fan you don't get much of either. Just buy the damn thing anyway and enjoy yourselves for once you miserable sods.

I loved the first book, brilliantly satirical. The niche references to Swindon made it all the better. I imagine the “Cairo’s in the 1990s” would have confused his wider audience.  Lives in Australia now and his cartoons are mainly about the Aussie league. Hopefully he can still slip in mentions of Terry Fenwick in a Burmah Town shirt ...
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #362 on: Friday, November 3, 2017, 12:04:28 »

Lives in Australia now and his cartoons are mainly about the Aussie league.
He still does a weekly cartoon on (usually) English football in the Graun:
https://www.theguardian.com/football/series/david-squires-on
Barry Scott

« Reply #363 on: Tuesday, October 23, 2018, 06:10:31 »

I'm trying to get through 26 books this year. Currently at 17, but in danger of falling behind schedule because a couple have taken me a while to get through.

As a bit of a completionist, once I've started a book I can't not finish it even if it's a slog to get through.

Completely missed this post from Barry which was in follow up to mine. I've actually read through all of these books in the last 18 months. As a serial procrastinator, Now Habit was probably my favourite out of the list.

In an almost exact repeat of you, I completely missed this post!

I’ve just read two of the best “self help” books ever. In fact, they’re so good I feel like I don’t really want to read another. I say that, I’ll read Cialdini’s new book, “Pre-Suasion” as his last book is one of my favourites ever, and also Hal Elrod’s miracle morning.

Anyway, the 2 books.

- Atomic Habits by James Clear
- Unscripted by MJ DeMarco (who’s other book was also great once you get over the title).

They’re both amazing, superb in fact. I’m going to read them both again straight away and now also have them both on audible.

Depending on your personal feelings towards money and society though, you might not like the tone of the first part (some definitely won’t) of DeMarco’s book. It’s a bit shouty and down on society, but it’s not entirely at odds with many of my thoughts.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #364 on: Saturday, October 27, 2018, 15:08:11 »

Cheers Barry, I've stuck them on my ever growing list of stuff to read.

32 read so far this year against my target of 39 (+50% from 2017).

It's surprisingly easy to get through a lot of books in just 30 to 60 minutes of reading a day.
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #365 on: Saturday, October 27, 2018, 18:38:08 »

Currently reading this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Russian-Roulette-Deadly-British-Thwarted/dp/1444737023

Superb, really brilliant. And all true.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #366 on: Monday, November 5, 2018, 13:21:22 »

- Unscripted by MJ DeMarco (who’s other book was also great once you get over the title).

They’re both amazing, superb in fact. I’m going to read them both again straight away and now also have them both on audible.

Depending on your personal feelings towards money and society though, you might not like the tone of the first part (some definitely won’t) of DeMarco’s book. It’s a bit shouty and down on society, but it’s not entirely at odds with many of my thoughts.

Just started reading this. There'll be a lot of people that dismiss it as nonsense, but I'm hooked after the first few chapters. Good recommendation Bazza.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #367 on: Monday, November 5, 2018, 13:27:40 »

Controversial putting this in a 'book' forum ( Smiley ), but my Kindle has revolutionised my reading. Instead of reading maybe a Christmas prezzie autobiography/funny book every now and again I read all sorts of stuff. Usually look around for a <£5 book that takes my fancy and go with it.

Zombie Apocalypse, Detective/Whodunnit, Space adventure, supernatural, a bit of everything really.

Viva the Kindle.
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #368 on: Monday, November 5, 2018, 13:48:14 »

It took me a while to move over from books to Kindle, now I find it hard to read a proper book.

I like the fact that I can pick up on my phone where I left off yesterday whilst sat waiting for something.
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #369 on: Monday, November 5, 2018, 14:51:43 »

Almost all of my reading is done on Kindle. But if I enjoy a book I've read on Kindle, I'll generally buy a paperback version to stick on the bookshelf for future reference.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #370 on: Monday, November 5, 2018, 14:55:42 »

I’ve just offloaded almost all my books to the Prospect shop in Wroughton, so if anyone is into American thrillers grab a bargain.
Barry Scott

« Reply #371 on: Monday, November 5, 2018, 18:12:48 »

Cheers Barry, I've stuck them on my ever growing list of stuff to read.

32 read so far this year against my target of 39 (+50% from 2017).

It's surprisingly easy to get through a lot of books in just 30 to 60 minutes of reading a day.

Wow, impressive. I do loads of driving at the moment, so "read" loads on Audible! Good ones I also buy on Kindle and then have them synced so I can move seamlessly between the 2.

Just started reading this. There'll be a lot of people that dismiss it as nonsense, but I'm hooked after the first few chapters. Good recommendation Bazza.

I'm glad you like it. It's very anti a lot of things, but get over some of his tone and the message is very strong. I think its changed me in a small way. I don't read or look at many subjects the same anymore.

I'm curious as to how you'll view his take on finance, as I felt that was written very well.

Almost all of my reading is done on Kindle. But if I enjoy a book I've read on Kindle, I'll generally buy a paperback version to stick on the bookshelf for future reference.

This. Although now I get many on Audible (normally first), many on Kindle, some on both and then good stuff (that'll require referencing and referring back to) in paper form.
Balthazar Impresario

Ignore
« Reply #372 on: Tuesday, June 4, 2019, 18:10:58 »

Anyone read anything good recently? Currently reading 'In our Mad and Furious City'. Good read so far, had to get past the London estate talk (ennit, breddren etc) from some of the characters. Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy is the next one on my list, read The Road earlier this year, bloody brilliant book.

In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind
Richie Wellen-Dowd

« Reply #373 on: Tuesday, June 4, 2019, 19:10:11 »

Woke by Titania McGrath was very amusing, but I've been finding the joke is wearing a bit thin since reading it.

Next is Neither Wolf Nor Dog by Kent Nerburn.
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #374 on: Tuesday, June 4, 2019, 22:14:02 »

This year Ive read a few things.  Haruki Murakamis latest 'Killing Commendatore', Johnathon Coe's 'Middle England', Max Porters 2 books 'Grief is a feathered thing' and 'Lanny' (Weird but excellent), Chuck Pahlaniuks 'Adjustment Day',  Kate Tempests collection of poetry and Brian Bilstons poetry as well.

Next up is Brian Bilstons novel, 'Diary of a somebody'.

Never knowingly overstated.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28   Go Up
Print
Jump to: