Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 ... 28   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Books Books Booksy Books  (Read 110229 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #195 on: Wednesday, February 13, 2013, 22:10:16 »

Thanks! That explains York then..and also why when I asked her where things were she didn't know - she's been down here too long. She swears the Three Legged Mare was a bistro last time she looked.

And yes it was the Berwick Kaler panto (she refuses to acknowledge the other one), she hasn't missed one of his - she's been going since she was a nipper and she was 40 this year!

Good to see Amazon give access to the Kindle store to all, its how it should be. Wouldn't mind writing one myself one day, I wouldn't expect any sales but its something I reckon most of us have thought about at one time or another. I'll add it to the list of things to do after doing a marathon.

I'll let you know when I finish the book and how I found it.

red sheldon

Ignore
« Reply #196 on: Wednesday, February 13, 2013, 22:44:06 »

At the start of each chapter I have put a Barnum statement that could apply to most people, and one of the comments is that yu have thought about or started writing a book.

You should give it a go, I read somewhere that if you write 250 words a night it will only take you 200 days to write your novel...

But back to the panto, have you ever got a wagon wheel??

jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #197 on: Wednesday, February 13, 2013, 22:48:57 »

Good to see Amazon give access to the Kindle store to all, its how it should be.

Its pretty simple getting books and music on iTunes, imagine it's the same with Amazon and Google. I'd guess they all love people that self publish as it's taking the middle men (distributors, labels, publishers etc) out of the loop which is good for them and the authors / musicians.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #198 on: Wednesday, February 13, 2013, 23:56:52 »

But back to the panto, have you ever got a wagon wheel??

Oh yes, three - this year, the 25th Anniversary panto  and one in between -technically my son got two of them. But he's not allowed to eat them, the Mrs swapped it with him fro, an entire pack of wagon wheels. No, I don't get why she wants to keep it either.

Never the Newkie Brown though..

You should give it a go, I read somewhere that if you write 250 words a night it will only take you 200 days to write your novel...

The trick is having some sort of idea as to what to write about...All I need is one brilliant idea a-la Harper Lee! Oh, wait, I need some talent too, damn.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, February 13, 2013, 23:59:31 by Batch » Logged
adje

Ignore
« Reply #199 on: Thursday, April 4, 2013, 19:38:51 »

Anyone read the latest Jon Ronson book.I love his stuff but its got a chapter about Robbie fucking Williams,which makes me a bit reluctant to buy it

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
jutty274

Ignore
« Reply #200 on: Thursday, April 4, 2013, 20:04:44 »

I love reading the free books on the kindle, some of the best books i have read on it have been peoples first attempts. The only downside is that you have to wait ages for the next book. I have found people who have wrote their first book find the next one a lot easier. I will one day start writing a novel but until that day i will continue to read these new writers books.
fuzzy

A Bastard apparently

Ignore
« Reply #201 on: Tuesday, October 15, 2013, 07:58:27 »

A couple of books I have read in the last week-

Seven Deadly Sins: my pursuit of Lance Armstrong by David Walsh. This is the Sunday Times sports journalist who co wrote L.A. Confidential in 2004 I think it was, detailing his case against Armstrong for doping. Armstrong and his legal team denied his allegations in the strongest terms and sued. They won. The Sunday Times has since turned the tables in their favour. The book made me realise what a complete mug I was for a) failing to recognise the clues and b) sticking up for the doping cunt.

It's all about Treo, about the experiences of Royal Army Vetinary Corps dog handler Dave Heyhoe and his Arms and Explosives Search Dog Treo during a 6 month tour in Sangin, Afghanistan. A cracking book that had me smiling or chuckling in places and trying not to embarrass myself by blubbing in front of SWMBO in others. Find the book if only to look at the photo of Treo smiling for the camera whilst wearing his protective doggles to keep sand out of his eyes Cheesy Treo was subsequently awarded the Dickins medal (Doggie VC) for his work.
DarloSTFC84

Twittah.. @DarloJAG84

Ignore
« Reply #202 on: Friday, December 6, 2013, 20:56:34 »

Clarke Carlise's book...just starting the last chapter. Fascinating read, really really good.

Roaming the land while you sleep..
Baggins

Ignore
« Reply #203 on: Friday, December 6, 2013, 21:31:12 »

Everybody - and I do mean everybody - should read Lord of the Rings at least once. 

Barack Obama's Dreams From My Father is pretty inspirational - agree with his politics or not, the man has an interesting history and can write well. 

Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #204 on: Friday, December 6, 2013, 21:32:25 »

Everybody - and I do mean everybody - should read Lord of the Rings at least once. 

Read it before Peter Jackson even got the rights to the films. The films, whilst good, aren't a patch on the book. As is the case with most novels turned film.
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #205 on: Friday, December 6, 2013, 21:45:26 »

Seven Deadly Sins: my pursuit of Lance Armstrong by David Walsh. This is the Sunday Times sports journalist who co wrote L.A. Confidential in 2004 I think it was, detailing his case against Armstrong for doping. Armstrong and his legal team denied his allegations in the strongest terms and sued. They won. The Sunday Times has since turned the tables in their favour. The book made me realise what a complete mug I was for a) failing to recognise the clues and b) sticking up for the doping cunt.

I read this on holiday, gripping stuff and like you I was both (a) and (b).

Also recently read "Cycling Home from Siberia", a light-hearted and entertaining read.
« Last Edit: Friday, December 6, 2013, 23:28:36 by Bewster » Logged
jutty274

Ignore
« Reply #206 on: Friday, December 6, 2013, 22:39:08 »

I have just got into the Thursday Next series if books by Jasper fforde. I found the first one in the library & have now just started the second one in the series.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #207 on: Friday, December 6, 2013, 23:36:30 »

Tales from the secret footballer
A Gent Orange

Ignore
« Reply #208 on: Saturday, December 7, 2013, 18:21:09 »

The Dennis Bergkamp biography, Stillness and Speed is very good - so long as you aren't expecting a standard biography. If you've read Brilliant Orange, David Winner's other book on Dutch football, you'll know what to expect but it takes a bit of a broader view and mixes interviews with comment.

Luc Nijholt gets a mention though - as the full-back Dennis destroyed on his full Ajax debut in a 5-nil win.
yeo

Ignore
« Reply #209 on: Saturday, December 7, 2013, 22:23:11 »

Jon Ronson - Lost at Sea

short stories/articles about odd stuff like Deal or No Deal contestants and People doing the "Alpha" Christian course

/
W56196272
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 ... 28   Go Up
Print
Jump to: