Author Topic: WiFi  (Read 2537 times)
Charlie Henry

Ignore
« on: Wednesday, March 24, 2010, 17:21:47 »

I'm not sure if anyones covered this already

our old friend Rikki (unt is back to exploit unify us all with a free wifi
project which is using half a million of our council tax

loads of interesting dodgy stuff going on with the tory council

check out talkswindon dot org everyone in the town should be aware of this as the advertiser seems to be involved with the cover up
Barry Scott

« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, March 24, 2010, 18:19:12 »

Cover up? Please elaborate. We all know our incompetent council are throwing money at this, but I'd rather that than roundabouts and traffic lights.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, March 24, 2010, 18:29:55 »

Not really relate, but is the UK equivalent of NASA now in swindon?

Things get better but they never get good
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, March 24, 2010, 19:36:36 »

Yes (or rather it will be soon).
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, March 24, 2010, 19:41:08 »

I'm not sure if anyones covered this already

If you mean someone bashing Swindon Council over the Wifi network business, based on a complete misunderstanding of the facts then yes, its been covered. The Adver being involved in a cover up conspiracy with the Tory led Swindon Council is new though, feel free to elaborate on it. I'm always up for a laugh.
Charlie Henry

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, March 24, 2010, 19:48:24 »

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/5077013.MP_calls_for_urgent_probe_into_wifi_scheme/

http://www.talkswindon.org/index.php?topic=5449.0

if you're having trouble reading jonny....

michael
The Dude Abides

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, March 24, 2010, 19:49:31 »

re. the UK Space Agency being based in Swindon: Does anyone agree that the big diving board at Coate Water would serve as an ideal launch pad for UKSA space ships?

It isn't used for anything else anymore.

Also, the lake would act as a moat of-sorts to keep people a safe distance. In addition to that the shape of Coate Water very much lends itself to an amphitheater with the diving board being the centre-piece (I believe that is how it was designed to be like in fact).
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, March 24, 2010, 20:10:26 »

I don't have any problems reading, I'm just not dumb enough to take everything politicians say at face value. Would Anne Snelgrove be kicking up over this if it was a Labour run council and if there wasn't an election coming up?

Her complaints don't even make any sense. How does a tendering process come in to it? I'm not aware of other companies being interested, they went to Swindon Council with a proposal and they did a deal. Not sure why a fuss is being made over £2 per Swindon citizen being spent / risked on a project to provide city wide Wifi. Pretty laughable when you compare it to the £6 a household tax the Labour government are bringing in to provide national broadband coverage and that won't come anywhere close to covering the total costs involved in that.

Swindon is a shit hole and we should be doing a lot more things like this. Its not surprising the council don't though when people kick up over nothing. Obviously if there is something dodgy going on then something should be done, but all you've got at the moment is a Labour MP trying to win votes to safeguard her job.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, March 24, 2010, 20:11:46 »

if you're having trouble reading jonny....

So here's a suggestion - if you're looking to plug your point of view, it might help if you didn't come on and patronise the regular posters. Surely you politicos know about not alienating the electorate?

Oh, and that website is impenetrable btw - I'd guess it only makes sense to half a dozen local council politics anoraks.

So instead of patronising people and redirecting us to page after page of "he said, she said" stuff, why don't you try summarising whatever you think this great scandal is? I assume it's the stuff that's already been in the Adver that SBC apparently didn't put this Digital City thing out to proper tender, yes? Or is there some actual meat on the bone of this great cover up?
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, March 24, 2010, 20:12:56 »

Not really relate, but is the UK equivalent of NASA now in swindon?
What? There's a space program in Swindon? Are we going to put roundabouts on the moon?

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, March 24, 2010, 20:15:40 »

Did anyone see that programme on bbc one a while back where some residents were moaning that the wi-fi radiation is going to harm them?

Every scientific opinion said it wouldn't but they still insisted it would. They also took a measurement of the radiation in Highworth and compared it to that omitted by a router inside the home. There wasn't any difference. The irony of this was that the residents in question were shown using wireless internet in their own home. Even learning this, I think they were still upset about the situation.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, March 24, 2010, 20:16:34 »

What? There's a space program in Swindon? Are we going to put roundabouts on the moon?
If anyone's going to, it should be us. Or maybe a big fuck off contraflow past Saturn
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, March 24, 2010, 20:18:07 »

Turn the moon into a roundabout
Charlie Henry

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, March 24, 2010, 20:19:53 »

My post was supposed to be more of a "have a read of this and make up your own opinion"

Jonny -me being rubbish sarcastic didn't really clarify this position Embarrassed

Just to add, I'm not bashing the council. There are elected representatives acting in a way which appears to be very dishonest, these councillors are linked to our 2 potential tory MPs. I know there's lots of dishonesty all over politics at the moment but surely we have a duty to bring all elected representatives to account.

The council are purely dancing to the beat of the (seemingly) corrupt councillors. Its time Tomlinson and Buckland state their position. If they can't be straight with us in local politics we're on a highway to hell if they get a national voice.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, March 24, 2010, 20:23:43 »

From what I just read, it sounds like they've just stuck a sign saying "UK Space Agency" on someone's door at the North Star Research Council offices and didn't tell anyone about it. Including the owner of the door.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: