Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 15 years on...  (Read 6888 times)
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday, March 23, 2010, 19:58:51 »

Yes  Yes  Yes

Made worse by the fact that we
1) didn't sign a replacement & 2) had turned down a bigger offer (from Birmingham) earlier in the season.

That was the day that we gave up an accepted relegation.

The comparason would have been selling Simon Cox a couple of months before the end of last season, and I still can't help thinking that if we had kept Fjortoft, his goals might have kept us up.

But, surely if Fjortoft was that good we wouldn't have been in that position.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday, March 23, 2010, 20:08:22 »

Yes  Yes  Yes

Made worse by the fact that we
1) didn't sign a replacement & 2) had turned down a bigger offer (from Birmingham) earlier in the season.

That was the day that we gave up an accepted relegation.

The comparason would have been selling Simon Cox a couple of months before the end of last season, and I still can't help thinking that if we had kept Fjortoft, his goals might have kept us up.

also made worse by the fact we spunked 340k on jason fucking drysdale.
Oaksey Moonraker

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday, March 23, 2010, 20:23:13 »

But, surely if Fjortoft was that good we wouldn't have been in that position.

The team was good enough to have stayed up, given the games we won in the League Cup run to the semis against teams in our own division, Charlton Derby, Millwall and the home game against the Bolton if we had replicated in the league games we would have stayed up. That was also a year when 4 teams got relegated rather than 3.

To this day, I will think that much of this was to do with McMahon's ego/insecurities. He hated the past at Swindon and any mention of the Macari, Ardiles & Hoddle days. He bombed all the history out of the club treating legends like John Trollope, Andy Rowland, Shaun Taylor, Paul Bodin and Fraser disgracefully. The antagonisim at the end of the McMahon/Hunt era hung over us for a long, long time
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday, March 23, 2010, 20:28:56 »

I wondered if anyone would get the reference...I was quoting Ray Hardman when he tried to justify the sale.  I'm as bitter, if not more, than Dave.  Oaksey you're correct. Smiley

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday, March 23, 2010, 20:37:28 »

The antagonisim at the end of the McMahon/Hunt era hung over us for a long, long time

Runt and McMuck the scousers that suck. And take legal action against fanzines.
iffy

« Reply #20 on: Tuesday, March 23, 2010, 21:08:42 »

£1.3m for Fjortoft was a crime, but £340k for Drysdale was a crime against humanity.
I still think £600k for Mark Robinson was just about the worst value deal we ever did.
Rich Pullen

« Reply #21 on: Tuesday, March 23, 2010, 21:10:51 »

Over 300 appearances and Mark Robinson is considered poor value for money! I would argue that he wasn't that bad Smiley
Summerof69

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday, March 23, 2010, 21:17:51 »

I think paying about a mill for Joey Wingebag is definately the worst ever buy...

BAZINGA !!

Join the Red Army Fund and donate at www.redarmyfund.co.uk

Join the Football Supporters Federation for FREE at www.fsf.org.uk/join.php
Oaksey Moonraker

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday, March 23, 2010, 21:23:03 »

I think paying about a mill for Joey Wingebag is definately the worst ever buy...

And then pulling out of the deal to sign Simon Barker from QPR as a result of signing Beauchamp made it doubly worse. I still recall with glee the Oxford game at home a couple of years later where a stray Mark Walters boot caught Joey in the face so much anger of Mr Beauchamp (and a standing ovation from the South Stand)
Summerof69

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday, March 23, 2010, 21:27:46 »

I still recall with glee the Oxford game at home a couple of years later where a stray Mark Walters boot caught Joey in the face so much anger of Mr Beauchamp (and a standing ovation from the South Stand)

Now that was a great day, when the ref told Beauchamp to shut up and get on with it despite just about every Town player tackling him late, and Mark Walters' boot in the face was the 'coup de grace'.

BAZINGA !!

donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday, March 23, 2010, 21:33:38 »

Now that was a great day, when the ref told Beauchamp to shut up and get on with it despite just about every Town player tackling him late, and Mark Walters' boot in the face was the 'coup de grace'.

The great Gurnam Singh, I believe.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

Summerof69

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday, March 23, 2010, 21:35:05 »

The great Gurnam Singh, I believe.

In one of the best refereeing displays at the CG....

BAZINGA !!

JanAageisGod

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday, March 23, 2010, 21:36:21 »

Yes, Fjortoft was my fucking hero when I was 9 as well!

He's still my hero now.

4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday, March 23, 2010, 23:50:22 »

You're a year or two younger than me aren't you DV. Wouldn't you have been like 9 or something?

Blimey, call me gramps.... I was about a year or two younger than DV is now  Sad
One F In Fitton

« Reply #29 on: Wednesday, March 24, 2010, 23:14:52 »

I still recall with glee the Oxford game at home a couple of years later where a stray Mark Walters boot caught Joey in the face so much anger of Mr Beauchamp (and a standing ovation from the South Stand)

He got that and much more - the treatment he got was near perfection (a serious injury would've been the icing);

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: