Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 ... 25   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Missing people  (Read 52614 times)
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #165 on: Thursday, March 24, 2011, 18:51:24 »

I think its because its all a bit close to home
Freddies Ferret

« Reply #166 on: Thursday, March 24, 2011, 18:51:43 »

When it's in your own town it hits home harder! It's bang out of order for you to criticise people for being upset and shocked about the whole thing!
Don Rogers Shop

« Reply #167 on: Thursday, March 24, 2011, 18:52:08 »

I don't really like how people that didn't know her are making out as if they care. (judging from my facebook)

It's obviously dreadful, an horrific thing for anyone to go through, but I didn't see these people giving a shit about countless other people that have met a similar fate.
Do you know many people in Swindon who have met a 'simalar fate' then do you? Maybe they do care ffs
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #168 on: Thursday, March 24, 2011, 18:52:38 »

Time and place gents.......
DMR

« Reply #169 on: Thursday, March 24, 2011, 18:54:29 »

I don't really like how people that didn't know her are making out as if they care. (judging from my facebook)

It's obviously dreadful, an horrific thing for anyone to go through, but I didn't see these people giving a shit about countless other people that have met a similar fate.

I kind of agree although dont think you put it very tactfully, I think some people have got a bit swept up in it but then it's inevitable if its closer to home.

You can all abuse me if you like but the truth is this won't stop me sleeping tonight and I bet that's true of MOST of us who've expressed our grief and horror about it.

Edit; that sounds a bit cuntish but it's hard to articulate my sentiments properly without sounding like an insensitive bellend.
« Last Edit: Thursday, March 24, 2011, 18:56:50 by DMR » Logged
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #170 on: Thursday, March 24, 2011, 18:56:32 »

I kind of agree although dont think you put it very tactfully, I think some people have got a bit swept up in it but then it's inevitable if its closer to home.

You can all abuse me if you like but the truth is this won't stop me sleeping tonight and I bet that's true of MOST of us who've expressed our grief and horror about it.

That's a much better way of putting it, yes. I was struggling to think of the right way to put it, I must admit.

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
Forza_Swindon

Ignore
« Reply #171 on: Thursday, March 24, 2011, 18:58:28 »

I think it's a "community" thing.  I'm sure everyone thinks how horrible it is whenever it happens anywhere, but the fact that it's so close to home, with places mentioned that we've probably all been in several times over, somehow makes it ll the worse.

I don't know any of the people involved either, but it has chilled me to the core.  Speaking as a girl who's actually done a "disappearing act" after a nightclub (family and police called, etc) it's pretty shocking.  And I have relatives living in Ashbury Avenue, cannot imagine how weird they're feeling right now...

So rightly or wrongly, people in the local community will always show stronger reactions to this kind of thing I think.

RIP Sian

EDIT: Although it won't stop me from sleeping at night, perhaps it will encourage me to be a little more cautious in my day-to-day life...
« Last Edit: Thursday, March 24, 2011, 19:00:04 by Forza_Swindon » Logged
Don Rogers Shop

« Reply #172 on: Thursday, March 24, 2011, 18:59:05 »

Time and place gents.......
Very true BR sorry. DMR you are right and i know it won't affect many just thought as you said it wasn't very tactfull.
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #173 on: Thursday, March 24, 2011, 18:59:56 »

Very true BR sorry. DMR you are right and i know it won't affect many just thought as you said it wasn't very tactfull.
I'm genuinely sorry man, I didn't mean to cause any offence.

Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #174 on: Thursday, March 24, 2011, 19:02:18 »

I think it's a "community" thing.  I'm sure everyone thinks how horrible it is whenever it happens anywhere, but the fact that it's so close to home, with places mentioned that we've probably all been in several times over, somehow makes it ll the worse.

I don't know any of the people involved either, but it has chilled me to the core.  Speaking as a girl who's actually done a "disappearing act" after a nightclub (family and police called, etc) it's pretty shocking.  And I have relatives living in Ashbury Avenue, cannot imagine how weird they're feeling right now...

So rightly or wrongly, people in the local community will always show stronger reactions to this kind of thing I think.

RIP Sian

EDIT: Although it won't stop me from sleeping at night, perhaps it will encourage me to be a little more cautious in my day-to-day life...

True and it's not like I've not sat here and thought about it, I know a couple of people who are seriously cut up about this, having know the girl and I'll leave them to it.

Just found out that I've been in this guys taxi and he had my friends girlfriend and mother of his baby in his cab alone the night before - now that has chilled me.

Processed Beats

I drop beats from this processed meat.

Ignore
« Reply #175 on: Thursday, March 24, 2011, 19:04:34 »

Live like a minute from the house in Ashbury Avenue. Walked down the street thousands of times. In absolute shock.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #176 on: Thursday, March 24, 2011, 19:06:55 »

I think people are so cut up because they can relate to this terrible news in many ways. As DV said pages back, most people know someone who did know her, the family or her boyfriend. How many people have wandered alone after a boozy night out (or a non-boozy one for that matter)? Practically everyone will have done this themselves or witnessed others doing it and on the streets where this happened too. And then there's the age group too - a lot of youngsters will emotionally connect to this event because they would see Sian as 'one of them' but people slightly older who have kids, especially of that age, will be emotionally entangled for that reason.

When I read about other murders they can shake me up a bit but not like this, so in that respect I would agree with the points above. In the past there have been two murders around the corner from where I live and they haven't go to me like this one.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #177 on: Thursday, March 24, 2011, 19:38:11 »

Maybe it's a sign that there's still a sense of community in Swindon.  Nothing wrong with that.  I think there's nothing strange at all that people are more affected by a tragedy that has unfolded in their home town.  Swindon would be a poorer place if there was not a collective pulling together and reflection after events like these.

RIP.  My thoughts are with the victims' families and the people who knew them best.
joteddyred

Ignore
« Reply #178 on: Thursday, March 24, 2011, 19:47:23 »

What a sad, sad day.  The news that we had all been hoping we wouldn't hear, it's absolutely dreadful.  

I didn't know Sian or her family, but like the majority of people living in Swindon, this has affected me greatly for the reasons stated above.  A couple of my line reports at work knew her well and are completely devastated.  

It's often said after a tragic event, but it seems so true of this one 'you don't expect something like that to happen here'.  Murders in Swindon are rare anyway, but they're usually domestic cases or at least the person knew the killer.  I can't recall anything this horrific before.

Thoughts are with her family and friends and those of the unnamed victim.
Spencer_White

« Reply #179 on: Thursday, March 24, 2011, 19:55:46 »

Maybe it's a sign that there's still a sense of community in Swindon.  Nothing wrong with that.  I think there's nothing strange at all that people are more affected by a tragedy that has unfolded in their home town.  Swindon would be a poorer place if there was not a collective pulling together and reflection after events like these.

RIP.  My thoughts are with the victims' families and the people who knew them best.

I feel absolutely betrayed by this man. Maybe that isnt rational, but he has let everyone down in this Town.
« Last Edit: Thursday, March 24, 2011, 20:01:26 by Spencer_White » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 ... 25   Go Up
Print
Jump to: