Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Beckham....  (Read 6789 times)
Doore

« Reply #60 on: Thursday, March 18, 2010, 23:46:12 »

Moving to LA was a mistake if he wanted, as seems pretty obvious now, to prove he was still a top class performer.  This was never going to be possible in the piss-poor league he went to.  Inarguably it was not a financial mistake, nor did it harm his public profile, but from the moment he moved there doubts over his credibility as a top class footballer arose.  From a footballing perspective, he would have been better off proving he wasn't past it at another european club, maybe a club with a lower profile than ManUre or Real, but still playing in a top league.

And yes, quarter final exit for England once again.
iffy

« Reply #61 on: Friday, March 19, 2010, 00:19:46 »

In his contract, he has an option to buy a franchise of an expansion team in the MLS. It suggested he might get a New York franchise. He is integral to the league there and totally locked in with Anschutz and AEG. MLS franchises are becoming licenses to print money.

At best, his alternative would have been an additional 18 months pissing around on the bench at Milan or Tottenham "proving himself at the top level".

Some mistake. I'd like to be making mistakes like that.
Doore

« Reply #62 on: Friday, March 19, 2010, 22:55:09 »

In his contract, he has an option to buy a franchise of an expansion team in the MLS. It suggested he might get a New York franchise. He is integral to the league there and totally locked in with Anschutz and AEG. MLS franchises are becoming licenses to print money.

At best, his alternative would have been an additional 18 months pissing around on the bench at Milan or Tottenham "proving himself at the top level".

Some mistake. I'd like to be making mistakes like that.

I don't disagree that he did well personally out of the move.  My point was that, from a footballing perspective, he shot himself in the foot, so to speak.  He couldn't prove he still had the ability to cut it at the highest level in the MLS, hence the debate over his abilities.  If, as you infer, he ended up on the bench at Tottenham, it would have proved that his days at the top were over.   If he went there and took Tottenham to the Champions League, he would have answered his critics.  By going across the Atlantic, he lost the chance to prove himself after serious doubts had been cast.

Furthermore, going on what he has since done with the moves to Milan and the commitment to England, I think he has pretty much admitted through his actions that this move was a mistake for his football career.
Leggett
Do you like popsicles?

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: Friday, March 19, 2010, 23:38:14 »

he wont get a New York franchise, they already have the New York Red Bulls playing out of the Giants stadium, and the way American franchises work Beckham would have to pay ALOT of money to the Red Bulls to locate another franchise anywhere near NY.

jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: Friday, March 19, 2010, 23:46:18 »

I don't know, I was just reading up on it and apparently there is a chance there will be another New York franchise using the New York Cosmos name. Though I'm sure there was talk of Beckham's franchise being in Las Vegas.

How do the teams make a decent profit in the MLS?

Most attendances / capacities seem to be around the 20k level so it can't be from ticket sales. Is it the merchandise and TV rights? Must be some money coming from somewhere when there is a $40m fee for a new franchise before any of the other costs. Makes most of our PL, and even Championship, clubs look cheap in comparison and a far better investment.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: Saturday, March 20, 2010, 13:07:29 »

he wont get a New York franchise, they already have the New York Red Bulls playing out of the Giants stadium, and the way American franchises work Beckham would have to pay ALOT of money to the Red Bulls to locate another franchise anywhere near NY.

Hes being lined up for the Louisana Loafers, or the Pennsylvania Pricks
adje

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: Saturday, March 20, 2010, 13:14:45 »

Cincinatti Show Ponies

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: