Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Windows 7/Vista advice please!  (Read 3347 times)
Barry Scott

« on: Friday, February 19, 2010, 23:28:33 »

Please help oh wise TEF.

My old man uses Vista, his network keeps going tits up, reseting itself to public, disallowing internet access and all mapped drives stop working. He'll call me for help, i go around and Vista is so far removed from what i'm used to, it becomes like walking through treacle to try and fix. At least networking was simple in XP.

So, he's been told that as he has Vista Basic on 3 machines they need a clean install to run Windows 7 and the other runs Home Premium which apparently can be done as an upgrade.

I don't know how much of this is right and if i'm going to help him with this i want it as simple as possible.

So, can i get the internet and mapped drives working easily as things are? And remain working? (I spent hours a few months ago getting it going, but forget how i did it and now it all fails. Again.)

Will Windows 7 make the networking bollocks simple?

Will i be alright for drivers and everything if i get copies of 7 and i have to do clean installs on all machines?

I'm so fucking angry at this shit. Why does everything suddenly go fucking mental and what on earth makes a computer suddenly decide a network is public and therefore using the internet and any mapped drives is not permissable?  Frustration

Thanks, beers on me to any problem solvers. Smiley
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Friday, February 19, 2010, 23:47:56 »

I've upgraded a vista basic PC to Win7 and found no issues whatsoever, the only problem was that it took bloody forever!!

I think most manufacturers do windows 7 drivers now, but definately make sure if/before you do a clean install.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Barry Scott

« Reply #2 on: Saturday, February 20, 2010, 10:46:56 »

Cheers Sippo. My big issue though, is does Windows 7 act like a retard when it comes to networking? Because i don't want to talk my old man into upgrading to Win 7 only to find nothing changes! Smiley
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, February 20, 2010, 10:50:38 »

I tried to network my laptop and desktop on W7 and it was a bit of a cunt to get setup, but worked well in the end.
Barry Scott

« Reply #4 on: Saturday, February 20, 2010, 11:12:09 »

Oh, that's a bit shit then, because Vista makes me want to commit Hara Kiri.

After playing with my Dad's computers, I can't believe Vista was ever even unleashed on the public. I swear my Dad would've murdered Bill Gates if he happened to walk past him yesterday.
sheepshagger
Suburban Capitalist........

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, February 20, 2010, 11:13:36 »

I have 3 desktop PC's here, and I upgraded all of them to 7 - along with a NAS drive and 2 printers on the network...

It all worked SO easily compared with Vista - I get the feeling 7 is just Vista done right !

I went to PC World (I usually hate that place!!) and picked up a Win 7 Home Premium copy that had 3 licences on for about £129.99 from memory - so all the PC's now run on it - see the network, see the printers and see the NAS very easily.

My PS3 also sees the NAS without any issues and I can stream content to any of the PC's through the network....All works really well....

Wise men say........
Barry Scott

« Reply #6 on: Saturday, February 20, 2010, 11:21:01 »

That sound's promising. Because my Dad's NAS and any mapped drives just disappear. Along with the permission to use the internet. Just thinking about it makes me angry. Smiley
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, February 20, 2010, 11:28:19 »

Like others have said, don't think it could get worse than vista!!

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #8 on: Saturday, February 20, 2010, 13:28:26 »

Windows 7 networking is much much easier to set up than XP or Vista, mine found my networks and file sharing is a piece of piss to set up, most of it is totally automatic.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Jimmy Glass is an Alien

« Reply #9 on: Thursday, January 12, 2012, 08:53:03 »

Sorry to hijack the thread. This appears to be the most relevant thread rather then starting a new one.

In short I had a partitioned hard drive, which I wanted to merge the partitions. In short I fucked it up. I kindly was lent a copy of Windows 7 and managed to restore the PC, however all my files were put into a file called 'windows.old'.

The problem I have is that I tried copying the windows.old file into the restored windows folder but it hasn't restored all the short cuts. What I am doing wrong?
stfcinbmth

« Reply #10 on: Thursday, January 12, 2012, 14:11:20 »

Sorry to hijack the thread. This appears to be the most relevant thread rather then starting a new one.

In short I had a partitioned hard drive, which I wanted to merge the partitions. In short I fucked it up. I kindly was lent a copy of Windows 7 and managed to restore the PC, however all my files were put into a file called 'windows.old'.

The problem I have is that I tried copying the windows.old file into the restored windows folder but it hasn't restored all the short cuts. What I am doing wrong?

It won't reinstall the programmes, you'll have to install those again. You should be able to get your files etc out of it though

@Barry, Networking with 7 is a piece of piss, usually finds everything with no problems. I've got three PC's running 7 Pro and Ultimate, one running XP and one running Ubuntu, all networked and sharing one printer

Vista was basically a pile of shit, that's why Microsoft replaced it so soon
Jimmy Glass is an Alien

« Reply #11 on: Thursday, January 12, 2012, 14:46:46 »

It won't reinstall the programmes, you'll have to install those again. You should be able to get your files etc out of it though

So basically go into the folder and copy and paste each individual folder into the new folder? i.e. itunes into itunes?
stfcinbmth

« Reply #12 on: Thursday, January 12, 2012, 15:12:23 »

So basically go into the folder and copy and paste each individual folder into the new folder? i.e. itunes into itunes?

Your itunes backup will be probably be in Users-My Music(you might have to hunt around for it), go into the Music folder and copy the itunes folder into your new Music folder. Your new iTunes installation should find it
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: