Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New ground  (Read 10989 times)
Freddies Ferret

« Reply #15 on: Thursday, February 18, 2010, 14:34:59 »

Im off to see Hamburger SV this weekend, cant wait gonna be ace!
(.)Boobies(.)

« Reply #16 on: Thursday, February 18, 2010, 14:35:57 »

I don't mind the Madejski as a stadium.  I was there quite recently for a London Irish game and remember thinking that even after 10+ years it still looked quite smart.  There are also a few nice touches there like the Maurice Evans plaque that establishes a link with the Elm Park days.  My only problem with the Madejski is its location...in a pretty soulless part of Reading that really does nothing for me at all.

We went to the Hobgoblin in the centre of Reading before the game (cracking little pub, if anyone is in the area).  Good day out, but I think I prefer being able to walk from the station to the pub to the ground and back again without having to resort to buses & taxis etc.

Agreed. The repetative bowl design is tiresome and boring now, but at least the Madejski has a unique design in the way it links the stands, rather than it being just round. A small thing, but you look at Coventry, Leicester, Cardiff, MK, Southampton... boring.

Also agree entirely about the stadium in a crap location. Hence my comment in support of you redeveloping TCG. Older grounds still have a soul, charachter, spirit. Also the four stand design, and not looking like lego (Wigan) is a dying breed now. I'm looking forward to seeing a smartened up CG.

(.)Boobies(.)

« Reply #17 on: Thursday, February 18, 2010, 15:11:07 »

Look it up. The promotion season from Division 2/League 1 I believe was higher than that as well.

As for your poor fishing attempt with 5000; I've watched us since 93 and our averages were never that low in that time. Years previous, sure.

Someone posted a link up on our forum, I'll try and find it, but it shows a steady increase in our attendances from 99/00 to the present, where you'll see there's a hardcore home attendance of around 14k (home support), and then dependant on the away attendance, the gates fluctuate between 15-19k.

This is a bad season for us and we're still heading for 16k average. You're in play-off contention and averaging what, sorry? If you want to mock, always be prepared to be mocked.

PS - find a site with out attendances from 2000 to the present.

King of Tonga

Go to www.royals.org ---> Previous Seasons, and knock yourself out.
« Last Edit: Thursday, February 18, 2010, 15:16:01 by (.)Boobies(.) » Logged
mexico red

Demasiado no es demasiado

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Thursday, February 18, 2010, 15:18:09 »

All i can remember is going to elm park loads in the eighties and it always being half empty.

But maybe i had arrived late and most of your lot had already run away.
Spy

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Thursday, February 18, 2010, 15:33:22 »

Cheesy
(.)Boobies(.)

« Reply #20 on: Thursday, February 18, 2010, 17:17:43 »

All i can remember is going to elm park loads in the eighties and it always being half empty.

But maybe i had arrived late and most of your lot had already run away.

The decade we almost went bust when the then chairman, and a corrupt chairman, tried to create Thames Valley Royals by mergind Reading and Oxford and building a stadium in Didcot.

As I said earlier, new stadiums make football family friendly, and although I don't find that appealing as it has ruining much of the atmoshere you used to get at games, it does bring in new supporters.

You'd do well to try and justify your poor attendances this season? The football you're playing and a sniff of promotion, you should be getting 13,000's at the very least!

For what's his face, see - http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attnclub/read.htm

Apart from the near relegation under Tommy Burns (RIP) when we were in the now League 1, attendances steadily increased ever since.

Silly arguement really when you can't even fill a 15k capacity in your position.  Roll Eyes
mexico red

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Thursday, February 18, 2010, 17:27:16 »

And the above answer is why i fucking hate Reading.
Ralphy

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Thursday, February 18, 2010, 17:38:24 »

We have 7,000 proper fans.

Not 20,000 plastic day trippers.

I wonder how your gates will fare when you get relegated this season?
mexico red

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Thursday, February 18, 2010, 17:53:23 »

The decade we almost went bust when the then chairman, and a corrupt chairman, tried to create Thames Valley Royals by mergind Reading and Oxford and building a stadium in Didcot.

As I said earlier, new stadiums make football family friendly, and although I don't find that appealing as it has ruining much of the atmoshere you used to get at games, it does bring in new supporters.

You'd do well to try and justify your poor attendances this season? The football you're playing and a sniff of promotion, you should be getting 13,000's at the very least!

For what's his face, see - http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attnclub/read.htm

Apart from the near relegation under Tommy Burns (RIP) when we were in the now League 1, attendances steadily increased ever since.

Silly arguement really when you can't even fill a 15k capacity in your position.  Roll Eyes

This is the decade we nearly went bust too. We have the 7th highest average in a division which has norwich leeds and charlton in. We still have rovers and norwich to come so i can see our season average attendance being about the 9000 mark. Look down the average attendances in this division we are more than holding our own.

Plus Readings support was always traditionally shit. You know it, we all know it. You are a small club that got lucky. Your day in the sun has come and gone and it wont be long before your wallowing in the lower leagues playing in a half empty stadium whilst all your daytrippers have fucked off back to chelsea. Milk it while you can.

Fucking Reading. Wankers.
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Thursday, February 18, 2010, 17:56:04 »

The problem we have is a lot of the fans that were here back in the glory days of the early 90s have now drifted away and lost interest through poor management and ownership and not to mention for the best oart poor football. The club built a little bit of a bad rep around the town and only now is it starting to turn around in the other direction. A new CG will increase crowds for sure as will CCC football. The same happened for you. You may have a decent average gate now but if you continue to slide (going down this season would be a start to that) crowds and interest will soon drop. It'll be interesting to see what you would get in mid table L1.

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Thursday, February 18, 2010, 17:56:35 »

reading progressed really well in a short time.this would have attracted many new fans and they have seemed to keep hold of most of them.if that lasts only time will tell.
mexico red

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Thursday, February 18, 2010, 17:57:31 »

Well you were both a lot more polite than me Smiley
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Thursday, February 18, 2010, 17:58:00 »

Well you were both a lot more polite than me Smiley

Ha true. I guess if he was looking for a bite he failed.
Langers

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Thursday, February 18, 2010, 18:20:22 »

This is the decade we nearly went bust too. We have the 7th highest average in a division which has norwich leeds and charlton in. We still have rovers and norwich to come so i can see our season average attendance being about the 9000 mark. Look down the average attendances in this division we are more than holding our own.

Plus Readings support was always traditionally shit. You know it, we all know it. You are a small club that got lucky. Your day in the sun has come and gone and it wont be long before your wallowing in the lower leagues playing in a half empty stadium whilst all your daytrippers have fucked off back to chelsea. Milk it while you can.

Fucking Reading. Wankers.

Summed it up quite nicley!
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Thursday, February 18, 2010, 18:43:11 »

reading progressed really well in a short time.this would have attracted many new fans and they have seemed to keep hold of most of them.if that lasts only time will tell.

I actually know a fair few who used to watch us, but now watch Reading. I dont talk to them anymore as a rule, well not without lots of laughing and piss taking.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to: