Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 [30]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town V Oldham Official Matchday Thread  (Read 40517 times)
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #435 on: Thursday, February 11, 2010, 15:26:04 »

The way the defence covers is pretty consistent. When Amankwaah pushes forward (which he does a lot and far more than LJF, not complaining - just stating a fact) the rest of the defence shifts over to cover. Then when the opponents break down our right they shift over even further to cover, which leaves a gap on the left and if LJF didn't cover it would leave the same gap in the centre.

It is those gaps that the midfielders should be dropping back to cover and they haven't been - Ferry, Douglas and Ward were nowhere to be seen on the goals (that LJF is blamed for). If the central midfielders had covered LJF could move back to the left, or he could stay in the centre if the winger covers.
nevillew
Tripping the light puntastic

Ignore
« Reply #436 on: Thursday, February 11, 2010, 15:36:08 »

Don't think he was responsible for the Southend goals was he ?

Paolo Di Canio, it's Paolo Di Canio
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #437 on: Thursday, February 11, 2010, 15:40:24 »

I for one think that JFL is a decent player but is fairly raw and at the moment is a squad player, which he would be if Sheehan was fit.  I get the feeling that Wilson signed him on a relatively cheap contract as cover for the left back/CB position but didn't expect him to be needed to play as many games as he has. 

Therefore, unlike many, I can forgive him the odd mistake much like Smith, as I think it was planned to try to develop him into a good player and eventual first team regular.  It's just unfortunate, much like Smith, that a few of his recent errors have ended up costing us goals.  This is the reason he and Smith are getting pelted recently in my opinion.

Like I have said before, we are not in a position to have a quality like for like replacement for every position so we need to give a little latitude and support for those coming in and covering.  Nobody shouts about the positive things that these players do but are more than happy to jump up and down when they make a mistake.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...

Ignore
« Reply #438 on: Thursday, February 11, 2010, 15:47:40 »

Don't think he was responsible for the Southend goals was he ?
not solely to blame at all.infact the two players being debated here were our best performers at southend.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #439 on: Thursday, February 11, 2010, 15:52:14 »

Both came from the other side after manky got injured, nothing to do with LJF.
axs
naaarrrrrppppp

Ignore
« Reply #440 on: Thursday, February 11, 2010, 17:22:18 »

I too thought Ward had a poor first half, but a much better second.
Gnasher

Prefers animals to people (in a non sexual way)

Ignore
« Reply #441 on: Friday, February 12, 2010, 10:16:19 »

Not sure if this has been mentioned but two of our goals (Ward and Paynter) are featured on the BBC's goals of the week:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_2/default.stm

Cats are better than dogs FACT
blah blah

Ignore
« Reply #442 on: Friday, February 12, 2010, 12:00:12 »

As has correctly been said already, LJF & Smith are our back up players - and they are back-up players because they dont have the consistency so are capable of good games and not so good games. You only have to look back a few years to find comparisons - the year we won promotion to the Premier League, who was our back up centre back/left back ? Adie Viveash ! Again, capable of great performances (I remember playing Newcastle at home, Hoddle got injured just before the game & Adie came in and played a blinder), but also capable of the odd howler that cost us. If that team can win promotion with the likes of Viveash as squad players, I'm sure this team is just as capable with Smith & LJF.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #443 on: Friday, February 12, 2010, 12:21:27 »

As has correctly been said already, LJF & Smith are our back up players - and they are back-up players because they dont have the consistency so are capable of good games and not so good games.

Its kind of funny people calling LJF a back up player when he has played in 25 of our 28 league matches this season. Plus only Anteater and JPM have more assists in league matches - not bad for a back up player, especially as they have been important goals.
Colin Todd

Ignore
« Reply #444 on: Friday, February 12, 2010, 12:26:44 »

Is this pointless bollocks still going?
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #445 on: Friday, February 12, 2010, 13:22:33 »

Is this pointless bollocks still going?
Don't call jonny that, it's not at all nice Smiley
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #446 on: Friday, February 12, 2010, 17:20:04 »

Its kind of funny people calling LJF a back up player when he has played in 25 of our 28 league matches this season. Plus only Anteater and JPM have more assists in league matches - not bad for a back up player, especially as they have been important goals.
Yes he's played most games this year, but he is currently 2nd choice. Why is he 2nd choice? Because Wilson wanted somebody better to come in, and to use LJF as back up. Therefore, he is a back up player.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #447 on: Saturday, February 13, 2010, 12:33:40 »

i thought ward's finish for his goal was wonderful, very cultured
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #448 on: Saturday, February 13, 2010, 12:36:56 »

The movement, the pass... that goal was fucking wonderful.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 [30]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: