Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Just for Info Really  (Read 3472 times)
stfcinbmth

« on: Saturday, January 23, 2010, 21:05:58 »

Got a PC for sale in my local Free Ads, twas given to me so I thought I'd just as well upgrade it and flog it. Had some Arab(foreign) guy phone up about it tonight. Talked him through the spec etc, then gave him my addy, arranged for him to come round at 5pm tomorrow. Then at the death I told him that the HDD had been securely deleted, then overwritten with zeros, then a long windows format and finally a Windoze reinstall.
He then couldn't get off the phone fast enough, it was just a thank you, goodbye, see you. So I wonder wether some folk are out for a bit of data mining, buying up pc's locally just to extract info about the not so cautious and pc literate sellers.
Anyhow I will let you know if he turns up tomorrow

Contains all the tools for securely deleting your HDD

Code:
http://rapidshare.com/files/323229711/Hirens.Boot.CD.10.1.rar.html

Just be careful if your thinking about flogging your pc
« Last Edit: Saturday, January 23, 2010, 22:11:43 by stfcinbmth » Logged
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #1 on: Saturday, January 23, 2010, 23:20:28 »

http://hddguru.com/

Loads of free utilities there and you won't be violating any commercial licenses Smiley
stfcinbmth

« Reply #2 on: Sunday, January 24, 2010, 00:14:32 »

You think I should delete the link then si?
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #3 on: Sunday, January 24, 2010, 00:22:42 »

Think the link itself is fine, the disc asks you if you have the licenses I think. Obviously it's up to the individual whether they fib about that part.

I just wanted to point that out because we obviously don't advocate piracy on this forum. Ahem.

But it's all cool, I'm not telling you off or anything Smiley

Oh an good heads up as most people don't think about that.
Barry Scott

« Reply #4 on: Sunday, January 24, 2010, 11:11:20 »

There's also the freeware app Eraser, which allows you to create a "Nukedisk" which can overwrite data up to 35 times, rendering any attempt to find info on an old Hd useless.
stfcinbmth

« Reply #5 on: Sunday, January 24, 2010, 11:39:30 »

To run a full disk erase with Eraser as it's a .exe, you would have to remove drive from offending PC and connect it to one with Eraser installed, so it's more for certain folders rather than a whole drive. CCleaner also has this option.
Tho I have the means to do the full erase like that it's a lot of faffing about, and probably a no go for most folk
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #6 on: Sunday, January 24, 2010, 11:44:13 »

If you have any concerns whatsoever about data then never sell a PC with a used disk drive, buy a cheap new one and put that in, for the sake of £25-30 its better safe than sorry.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
stfcinbmth

« Reply #7 on: Sunday, January 24, 2010, 11:48:07 »

Good point JJ. Think I might do that if that bloke doesn't turn up. PC World yuk
Barry Scott

« Reply #8 on: Sunday, January 24, 2010, 13:00:47 »

To run a full disk erase with Eraser as it's a .exe, you would have to remove drive from offending PC and connect it to one with Eraser installed, so it's more for certain folders rather than a whole drive. CCleaner also has this option.
Tho I have the means to do the full erase like that it's a lot of faffing about, and probably a no go for most folk

Yes Eraser is an exe, but within the eraser program you can request for it to create a "nukedisk" which is a self booting disk you insert on start up. This then performs a full disk cleaning job independent of OS. It might be floppy disk only though. Smiley

DBAN also does it.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/dban/files/
stfcinbmth

« Reply #9 on: Sunday, January 24, 2010, 13:52:13 »

Yes Eraser is an exe, but within the eraser program you can request for it to create a "nukedisk" which is a self booting disk you insert on start up. This then performs a full disk cleaning job independent of OS. It might be floppy disk only though. Smiley

Can't find the Nukedisk option at all Barry using Eraser 6.0.6
Barry Scott

« Reply #10 on: Sunday, January 24, 2010, 14:19:51 »

Ah, it's probably something that's no longer within it then? I'm using 1.5.7 and it has it there, but then that is an old version! Smiley
stfcinbmth

« Reply #11 on: Sunday, January 24, 2010, 18:23:12 »

Wink Well he's an hour and 20 minutes late, I don't think he's coming, do you?

Still glad he didn't interrupt the Scunthorpe game, thoroughly enjoyed that
« Last Edit: Sunday, January 24, 2010, 18:24:48 by stfcinbmth » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: