Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Rev. Pat Robertson  (Read 9363 times)
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #75 on: Saturday, January 23, 2010, 14:14:02 »

I don't think that's the main focus of The Bible.
Highland Robin

« Reply #76 on: Saturday, January 23, 2010, 15:41:41 »

I doubt if many people want any more sermons from me, and even less, a critical account of the Bible and how it came into being - but actually in order to understand the Bible (as with any book) it is quite important to know a bit about its background; so all I would say is that, apart from the first two, the Commandments are nothing revolutionary for any society, and that's the point.  There is lots of stuff in the early books which take old stories and old laws that were generally known and used right across the board, and repeat them (so making the point that the Israelites were not excused from the basic laws of society) but given a gloss which related to their particular understanding fo their relationship with God.

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: Saturday, January 23, 2010, 15:46:35 »

do you believe in adam and eve, and the world being created in 7 days?
also, all that is written in the old testiment?
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: Saturday, January 23, 2010, 15:51:38 »

So what would the ten commandments be about then?
I hope this is an adequate summary...

The 10 Commandments are not a set of rules designed for us to follow to get to heaven. It is widely recognised in the Christian community that noboday has, does or will ever live up to the teachings of the Commandments. Except Jesus.

If people were supposed to follow the Commandments to get into heaven, Israel would not have had a sacrificial system. Nor would it have had high priests to mediate between the people and their God, as there would be no divide. Nor would Jesus have gained any great credibility for his lifestyle, for his teaching, or for his death. None of them would have been necessary. The Commandments were designed to lead us to understand a need for Jesus' self-sacrifice. The Bible tells us to apply teachings about obedience to God and love towards our neighbour to our own lives in response to the sacrifice He made as an attonement for our own inability to fulfil the Commandments.
Highland Robin

« Reply #79 on: Saturday, January 23, 2010, 21:03:50 »

Wow....I'm not going to follow Reeves....its too late; but arriba asked if I believed in Adam and eve etc...

The short answer is, if you mean by that, do I believe that to be a historical account of how the world came into being, and literally the first human beings lived, No.  Absolutely not, and nor do the vast majority of Christians today.  They are myths, myths that were circulating very widely in the world of those days (whatever the date of Genesis is!), as was a story of a great flood.  Myths are more than legends, but less than 'historical truth' - they are stories which in a symbolic way tell us something deeper about a subject.  I am perfectly at ease talking about the Creation Myth.
As for the Old Testament as a whole, as i said before, it is really important to understand what it is - a diverse range of documents which include poetry, sermons, wise sayings, laws and a bit of historical stuff too.  They tell a story of the struggle of a people who believe they have been called into a special relationship with God, but just like today, keep on failing to live up to what God hopes from them.  I think that, whilst we live in a very different world, with a great deal more knowledge and much less credulity, the OT still tells us a lot about the human condition, and while books like Leviticus and Numbers are almost incomprehensible to us, they are an integral part of the story, and help us to understand how and why the story turned out the way it did, even into the time of Jesus and beyond.
Talk Talk

« Reply #80 on: Saturday, January 23, 2010, 21:10:40 »

Playboy is a better read and it has good pictures as well.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #81 on: Saturday, January 23, 2010, 23:25:55 »

Playboy is a better read and it has good pictures as well.

You shouldn't be so harsh on your posts, but you're probably right  Grin
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #82 on: Saturday, January 23, 2010, 23:43:00 »

I'm atheist and proud - shit happens, get on with it without wondering which cosmic alien is testing your faith.
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: Sunday, January 24, 2010, 06:22:54 »

Threads like this are hilarious. Discussing your religous (Or lack of religous) beliefs as though anyone really gives a fuck what YOU think is pretty stupid.

As long as other peoples beliefs don't encroach on how I live my life I really don't care what their belief system is.

Most people who align themselves to a particular religion aren't fanatics trying to kill or subject their views on others, they're people who take something from their beliefs to enrich their lives. Why do people have a problem with that? Every thread on here about a fanatic(s) always ends up in a 'debate' on religion in general, with the same loud mouthed, opinionated twats offering their views as if they add something to a topic which has clear sides: you either believe in a religion, or you don't. Talk Talk giving his insightful views on why religion is rubbish isn't going to get any Christians denouncing Jesus, just as Reeves4englands faith isn't going to change an atheists mind.

Live and let live people.

Apart from Mormons. All Mormons should be destroyed.

It's All Good..............
yeo

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: Sunday, January 24, 2010, 06:59:39 »

Actually you're wrong, I read this thread and was Born Again, joined a Choir and put some Nails through my Hands.

/
W56196272
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: Sunday, January 24, 2010, 07:01:47 »

Actually you're wrong, I read this thread and was Born Again, joined a Choir and put some Nails through my Hands.

Fair play.

I retract my previous post.

herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: Sunday, January 24, 2010, 07:02:17 »

Apart from the bit about destroying mormons.

Talk Talk

« Reply #87 on: Sunday, January 24, 2010, 09:31:36 »

Every thread on here about a fanatic(s) always ends up in a 'debate' on religion in general, with the same loud mouthed, opinionated twats offering their views as if they add something to a topic which has clear sides.

Or every thread ends up with some loud mouthed opinionated twat telling everybody else that they shouldn't express their opinions.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: Sunday, January 24, 2010, 12:02:41 »

I put a hex key through my hand yesterday. It hurt.
Don Rogers Shop

« Reply #89 on: Sunday, January 24, 2010, 12:13:36 »

I just got back from church.Father Jeremy said you was a cunt Alan
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to: