Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon V Charlton Matchday Thread.  (Read 21981 times)
adje

Ignore
« Reply #225 on: Sunday, December 27, 2009, 12:58:59 »

I feel I have to defend myself here, for I did not buy it. My parents did. Shamefully.

You should read the league paper-you'd expect that to be accurate but in there OBrien was an unused sub and Lescinel and Hutchinson got more points out of ten than Douglas!

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #226 on: Sunday, December 27, 2009, 13:44:08 »

I, like everyone else, still can't see what Wilson must see in Hutchinson. I can't understand why he hasn't gone back to Celtic either, his loan spell has been a disaster and you'd think it would be in his and Celtic's best interests for him to return. Wasn't he closer to the Celtic 1st team than Ferry when he came here?
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #227 on: Sunday, December 27, 2009, 13:46:30 »

I think the obvious answer is that we're trying to keep Celtic sweet, seing as how we got Cuthbert off them and we'd love to keep Ferry longer than the loan term.
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #228 on: Sunday, December 27, 2009, 14:08:22 »

I think the obvious answer is that we're trying to keep Celtic sweet, seing as how we got Cuthbert off them and we'd love to keep Ferry longer than the loan term.
We've already got Cuthbert, and we've already extended Ferry's loan. I suppose there's an argument for saying we need to keep them sweet for possible future deals, and for potentially getting Ferry here more permanently, but I think Wilson would be totally within his rights to explain to Celtic that Hutchison has come here and looked totally disinterested, offered nothing, and has struggled to push for a place in the team. If he sent him back saying "He's crap, we don't want him" then it'd be a different story.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #229 on: Sunday, December 27, 2009, 14:29:02 »

I, like everyone else, still can't see what Wilson must see in Hutchinson. I can't understand why he hasn't gone back to Celtic either, his loan spell has been a disaster and you'd think it would be in his and Celtic's best interests for him to return. Wasn't he closer to the Celtic 1st team than Ferry when he came here?

Not according to a few Celtic fans that posted on the BBC or TFF.

They were unanimous in their praise for Ferry, and thought that he just needed games.

Hutchinson on the other hand was labelled lazy, useless and generally on his way out of Celtic.

I know this is only fans opinions, but it does seem to reinforce what we all now think.

As for yesterday, it was probably the most disappointed I have left a game that we haven’t lost.
Cheating Sodje gave Greer a really hard time, but in fairness I thought he (Greer) coped pretty well with it and played much better that he has of late.
As I think everyone else agrees, bringing on Hutchinson did appear to be an odd substitution, unless it is a contractual thing. As for the other subs it was pretty much what we would have expected. I think that JFL didn’t come off at half time as Wilson wanted to see if Charlton were going to change things before making his switch. As for Charlie, he was obviously struggling, and it made no sense to risk him making an injury worse.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #230 on: Sunday, December 27, 2009, 14:43:20 »

you made sense until you suggested bringing on timlin, he's dire

That still makes sense, as thats what Wilson usually does. Timlins talent aside Wilson is still likely to use him as a sub.

As Luci said-it must be contractual for Hutchinson to have come on.

I doubt it. That was his first league game since October
adje

Ignore
« Reply #231 on: Sunday, December 27, 2009, 14:55:41 »

That still makes sense, as thats what Wilson usually does. Timlins talent aside Wilson is still likely to use him as a sub.

I doubt it. That was his first league game since October

That's what I mean-he has to get the appearances in now!

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Anteater

Ignore
« Reply #232 on: Sunday, December 27, 2009, 16:25:40 »

Agree with some comments about yesterdays game but blaming Hutchinson for the draw if frankly ridiculous. I agree he gives us next to nothing and although he may deserve his scapegoat status, mainly due to his laziness, yesterday was down to a combination of other factors.
I thought we were the better side in the first 20 minutes and was unimpressed with Charlton as they seemed to be only capable of playing route one football for a good chunk of the game (even when they had 11 on the pitch) but we never took full advantage. Although our build up play (as usual) was decent, once 2-1 up we seemed to decide to try to walk the ball in. Plenty of opportunities to shoot from the edge of the box were wasted in favour of delicate chips into the box which went straight to their keeper or were over hit. Not sure why Ferry was subbed but would have preferred Macklin on as his replacement as at least he has a go when he has the chance. The game should have been out of sight before injury time. We also seemed not to use O'Brien as much as we could have and although he seems to have the touch of a rapist was in acres of room
that afforded him not needing a great first touch.
Pleased for Charlie and Billy getting on the score sheet but couldn't understand some stupid cow behind me slagging Painter off as if he was solely to blame for the draw.
Agree also that a win tomorrow will make this all the more bearable (even if I did lose my fiver at 14/1 for 2-1 to Town).  Doh
timmyg

Ignore
« Reply #233 on: Sunday, December 27, 2009, 22:13:07 »

I've spoken to a few people since I got back who said that it was a very dissapointing performance not to be able to beat 9 men, but I thought that Town did most things very well, and that Charlton defended very well and obviously have quality.

Charlton were a big bunch of lads, and had some very neat and tidy players, but as said above they didn't really look like a great footballing side, even when they had 11 on the pitch.  Shelvey is going to be a very good player and their giant centre-back Llera is pretty good too.

Both red cards were fully deserved (I've not seen them again yet, but the first was late and two-footed and the second was pure stupidity.  How the Charlton fans clapped off Burton I don't know!) but Charlton worked very hard for the remainder of the first half and did very well to not look too over-run.  Second half Town exploited the extra spaces muh better and did very well at both keeping the ball and probing into dangerous areas, but seemed to refuse to have a shot!  Instead we kept putting it wide an lobbing it up for their team of giants to head clear or for the keeper to claim unchallenged.  The goals came from balls driven into the box lower and with more pace, rather than floated up.

Where the ref got 4 minutes of injury time from in the second half is a mystery, but we were bloody unlucky with the way they got the equaliser, with a couple of very, very soft free-kicks going against us and then Ward (who I thought had a good little cameo) tried to block the clearance, got a little nick on it, Kev just misjudged it and Llera finished very cooly.  The bastard.

Overall, a good performance, good control of the game, just a shame we couldn't take a few more risks in the final third to put the game to bed int he last 15 minutes.  Bring on Yeovil!

never trust a nun...
Spencer_White

« Reply #234 on: Tuesday, December 29, 2009, 17:31:08 »

Havnt had a computer for a few days, but Im still fuming with the Hutchinson substitution. He is so fucking slow, in the head and in his legs. People say he isnt interested, Ive seen him when he wasnt interested at Wrexham, and he was absolutely dire, one of the worst performances by a Swindon player Ive seen for a few years. He was interested on Boxing day, but he just isnt up to it. He has to track everything back, he never plays a first time ball, he never gets a shot in, and he never gambles like a striker should.

Hes fucking rubbish. If we had Ward or Macklin come on Boxing day Im sure we would have got the 3rd goal (or even a 4th) and that would have been game over. Hutchinson shouldnt be making the match day squad at the moment, let alone actually getting game time (tears hair out).

Credit to Charlton though. The way they played showed a real team spirit and commitment. They knew how to get something out of the game, keep the game with just 1 goal in it, and save themselves for some desperate attacking in the last 10 minutes. That Shelvey is a fantastic prospect, only young and a very exciting player. Loves to take players on, a real crowd pleaser, up and down the field, good shot. He's going places.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, December 29, 2009, 17:36:22 by Spencer_White » Logged
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #235 on: Tuesday, December 29, 2009, 17:43:58 »

I really enjoyed the trip to Charlton. The Valley is a great ground, full of character right in the middle of the Charlton area, was great walking out down old school roads, so much nicer than coming out of places like Wigan. Would be great if the County Ground could be developed similar to something Charlton have.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Spencer_White

« Reply #236 on: Tuesday, December 29, 2009, 17:46:36 »

A ground steeped in history. The area around the ground wasnt as big a shithole as I thought it would be either. Nice ground.

Bob, we havnt got a hope in hell of averaging 17,000 in the third tier though.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #237 on: Tuesday, December 29, 2009, 17:52:27 »

A ground steeped in history. The area around the ground wasnt as big a shithole as I thought it would be either. Nice ground.

I realise this Spence. Obviously we don't need to develop the ground to the size of Charlton's, but something similar to their blueprint on a smaller scale would be good.

Was drinking in the Rose of Denmark before the game and the owner (I think) came up to us when he saw our Swindon shirts and shook all of our hands and welcomed us to Charlton. Unusual for Football fans to be treated so well.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #238 on: Tuesday, December 29, 2009, 17:53:44 »

Neither would they if they stayed down here as long as us! I agree with Bob to the exntent that it is a ground that has been worked on and improved without losing its character. If we could embark on a similar (slightly smaller) project then it'd be great
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #239 on: Tuesday, December 29, 2009, 17:54:23 »

I realise this Spence. Obviously we don't need to develop the ground to the size of Charlton's, but something similar to their blueprint on a smaller scale would be good.

Was drinking in the Rose of Denmark before the game and the owner (I think) came up to us when he saw our Swindon shirts and shook all of our hands and welcomed us to Charlton. Unusual for Football fans to be treated so well.
They were welcoming to us too, although we seemed to arrive before all the other Swindon fans so weren't sure if we were in the right place!
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17   Go Up
Print
Jump to: