Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 ... 20   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Takeaway Curry in Swindon  (Read 76227 times)
Barry Scott

« Reply #180 on: Saturday, June 6, 2015, 16:52:07 »

Likewise, thanks for the tip Mrs Brown. I just bought some. P&P is pretty pricey, so I'll see how the curry stacks up.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: Saturday, June 6, 2015, 16:57:23 »

quite like the spice entice kits which pre prep required spices and provide recipe.

similar thing I suppose
deltaincline

« Reply #182 on: Saturday, June 6, 2015, 16:59:13 »

Jewel In Crown still comes out top for me. Portion sizes are not exactly generous compared with some, but the taste and quality is very, very good.

The Khyber run them a very close second.
Red and Proud

Ignore
« Reply #183 on: Saturday, June 6, 2015, 18:07:11 »

Has it's advantages being the son of an Anglo Indian when it comes to making a curry. With that comes the attitude of when eating out I am often to critical and look at what is presented with the attitude of could I have done better at home.... Mind you I apply that to non Indian food as well.

Bare in mind what constitutes for High St. curry (all of them no matter how authentic they claim to be) is a metamorphosis of what my father, his generation, forefathers and indigenous Indians actually eat in their home land. In other words what passes for curry has been anglicised to cater for our pallets over about 6-7 decades.

The Taj Mahal on the corner of Victoria Road, Groundwell Road, Princess St was the first in Swindon to my Knowledge and my dad would cycle from Walcot to get a take away, this is before we had a phone. I'm sure he set out the day before....

Honestly guys, making a curry is piss easy. If you want want a recipe for a basic home style curry let me know and I'll post one on here.
@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #184 on: Saturday, June 6, 2015, 18:12:35 »

Has it's advantages being the son of an Anglo Indian when it comes to making a curry. With that comes the attitude of when eating out I am often to critical and look at what is presented with the attitude of could I have done better at home.... Mind you I apply that to non Indian food as well.

Bare in mind what constitutes for High St. curry (all of them no matter how authentic they claim to be) is a metamorphosis of what my father, his generation, forefathers and indigenous Indians actually eat in their home land. In other words what passes for curry has been anglicised to cater for our pallets over about 6-7 decades.

The Taj Mahal on the corner of Victoria Road, Groundwell Road, Princess St was the first in Swindon to my Knowledge and my dad would cycle from Walcot to get a take away, this is before we had a phone. I'm sure he set out the day before....

Honestly guys, making a curry is piss easy. If you want want a recipe for a basic home style curry let me know and I'll post one on here.

Will take you up on that offer
The mrs makes her own and arent that that bad am sure she would relish having a crack at your recipe

Yes
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #185 on: Saturday, June 6, 2015, 20:38:05 »

Isn't Walcot to the end of Groundwell Road only about half a mile?  Huh?
Red and Proud

Ignore
« Reply #186 on: Saturday, June 6, 2015, 23:47:34 »

Isn't Walcot to the end of Groundwell Road only about half a mile?  Huh?
Nah, that's posh Walcot. The real Walcot starts the other side of QD. Marlowe Ave is even further, which is of course where the old chap cycled from!!!!!!!!!!

That in turn is not as far as India, where he came from originally, just to clarify!!!!!!!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #187 on: Sunday, June 7, 2015, 00:39:33 »

Nah, that's posh Walcot.

Yep, that's Walcot East...Walcot West is the other side of Queen's Drive
Red and Proud

Ignore
« Reply #188 on: Sunday, June 7, 2015, 12:40:50 »

Will take you up on that offer
The mrs makes her own and arent that that bad am sure she would relish having a crack at your recipe

Yes

For you my friend.

This recipe is for two, clearly double up for more diners. Top tip, as with all curries, stews, casseroles etc. Cook the day before and warm through the day of eating.

Chicken: two breast fillets or four thighs.
Lamb: 3/4lb use shoulder
Beef: 3/4lb use cheap stewing steak. The better the cut (chuck or braising) the less cooking. Remember it's peasant cooking not haut cuisine...
Vegetables: whatever you like, again you don't want to overlook as this will turn to mush. You can add vegetables to the above dishes but near the end of the required cooking time.

4 tablespoons veg oil
1 large onion finely chopped or slices
2 cloves garlic
1/4 inch sq piece of fresh ginger finely chopped
3/4 teaspoon coriander powder
Pinch turmeric
1/4 teaspoon cumin powder
1/4 teaspoon garam masala powder
1 teaspoon paprika powder
2 tomatoes chopped
Salt to taste
Chopped coriander leaves to garnish.

Heat oil in pan add onion and sauté gently until golden brown (it's a tough one to do but worth it if you can) though don't burn them and if you don't get the desired finish just lob them in anyway. It says to fry the spices in a set way, I just chuck them all in to the onions and fry for five mins or so add 200 ml of water and simmer for ten mins, add tomatoes.

Set aside and brown your meat of choice gently. Add them to the sauce and simmer for an hour for chicken and up to two hours for the lamb or beef but no more.

Leave to cool and stand overnight. Warm through. Serve with rice or Nan's.

You'll notice NO chillies...I add my own you can do the same as you see fit in either powder form, freshly sliced (the BOOM comes from the seeds BTW) or dried crushed ones, again the seeds within will give you after burn.

I just love coconut milk so I tend to add a bit more chilli and temper it with coconut milk and just reduce the liquor until rich and yummy. I also don't use fresh tomatoes, two-three tins of chopped tomatoes is my preferred method.

You'll find this book a good resource depending on your level of culinary expertise and how enthusiastic you are.

50 great curries of India by Camellia Panjabi ISBN 1-85626-546-3

Enjoy
« Last Edit: Tuesday, June 9, 2015, 11:27:13 by Red and Proud » Logged
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #189 on: Sunday, June 7, 2015, 12:52:48 »

Cheers, will have a crack at that in the week.

Oh, and It's the membrane in the chillies that hold the heat, not the seeds
Red and Proud

Ignore
« Reply #190 on: Sunday, June 7, 2015, 13:01:51 »

Cheers, will have a crack at that in the week.

Oh, and It's the membrane in the chillies that hold the heat, not the seeds
fuck off I'm 1/4 paki, I should know  Cheesy
Red and Proud

Ignore
« Reply #191 on: Sunday, June 7, 2015, 13:17:13 »

Actually on the subject of chillies and their power based on the scoville scale, my dad's uncle died from liver failure many years ago. Apparently he'd eat handfuls or some ridiculous amount of chilies with most meals and these ones were the small and thin type that blow your face off. I suppose you'd become immune to them at some point but they did him in eventually.
@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #192 on: Sunday, June 7, 2015, 13:48:32 »

Thanks for the recipe
She is actually making 2 at the mo for tomorrow so will let you know how get on with yours  Yes
Barry Scott

« Reply #193 on: Sunday, June 7, 2015, 16:30:23 »

I'm ordering a curry tonight. After having a long period of inconsistent and frankly terrible curries, I've now found Rafu's to offer consistently good curry and deliver in good time. Think someone mentioned Jack Spice as well, they've likewise been good and my faith in takeaway curry has been restored.
Mrs Brown

Ignore
« Reply #194 on: Sunday, June 7, 2015, 17:50:09 »

Nick Bamosomi, the Rafi's in York is indeed an offshoot of the one in Sudbury.  Their mail order service is second-to-none and you already know about how great their products are.  Don't forget to use the discount code U1A6MG4 for 10% off your first order.

Barry Scott, I'm sure you won't be disappointed!  Once you've placed your first order, they'll start sending you discount vouchers for future ones that usually cancel out the cost of the postage.

Batch, yes, sounds similar.  The cooking instructions are printed on each pack.  The delightful thing is that they are so easy that you don't need to do much.  Put the mix in a pan with some water and simmer for about 10 minutes, add the meat, simmer until the meat is cooked.  My kind of cooking!  I think each pack creates a serving for around six people.

The similarly named Rafu's Indian restaurant in Highworth also does delicious eat-in or takeaway curries and is always worth a visit.  Never been disappointed with a curry from there.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 ... 20   Go Up
Print
Jump to: