Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Sports Personality of the Year  (Read 11119 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: Wednesday, December 2, 2020, 16:23:00 »

Rather than start a new thread I thought I would try a little resurrection....

This years nominees are possibly the least inspiring ever...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/sports-personality/55101008
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #76 on: Wednesday, December 2, 2020, 16:27:58 »

Could argue though for a few of them for a change
Cookie

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: Wednesday, December 2, 2020, 16:28:45 »

Hamilton has been immense again. To have a British generational talent is rare and he should win again.

I'd rather Rashford though.
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: Wednesday, December 2, 2020, 16:30:55 »

Hamilton should walk it, maybe Fury 2nd.
Didn't recognise the first two in all honesty and Ronnie O'Sullivan, as talented as he is, is a bit a of dick.
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: Wednesday, December 2, 2020, 16:32:40 »

Not a fan of F1 but Hamilton has to win

Nothing to see here
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: Wednesday, December 2, 2020, 16:37:59 »

Joe Wicks.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: Wednesday, December 2, 2020, 16:56:04 »

I'd rather Rashford though.

Fuck me, the BBC would never dare.

Hamilton should walk it, maybe Fury 2nd.
Didn't recognise the first two in all honesty and Ronnie O'Sullivan, as talented as he is, is a bit a of dick.

No fan of any of them, but if being a dick discounts you Fury should be nowhere near.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, December 2, 2020, 16:58:56 by horlock07 » Logged
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: Wednesday, December 2, 2020, 17:30:40 »

First time Ronnie has ever been nominated which tells you all you need to know about the credibility of the award
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: Wednesday, December 2, 2020, 17:53:38 »

I've never really understood the point of the award in the first place.  Is it someone who is good at sport, or is it someone who is a bit of a cad while also being involved in sport?  And why would any of them care about it anyway when they spend their sporting career seeking a goal in that sport, not competing in other ones.  Maybe they could bring back that old BBC programme where they had people competing across multiple sports and just give it to that winner, with a single round for making people laugh or sometihng?
JBZ

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: Wednesday, December 2, 2020, 18:04:13 »

I went to the VIP party after the TV show a few years ago. You name them, I met them.  Was a great night if you like your sport.

Nothing to see here
Panda Paws

« Reply #85 on: Wednesday, December 2, 2020, 18:06:14 »

I've never really understood the point of the award in the first place.  Is it someone who is good at sport, or is it someone who is a bit of a cad while also being involved in sport?  And why would any of them care about it anyway when they spend their sporting career seeking a goal in that sport, not competing in other ones.  Maybe they could bring back that old BBC programme where they had people competing across multiple sports and just give it to that winner, with a single round for making people laugh or sometihng?

The name has been lost over time. It’s sports person of the year. Never anything to do with what we now call personality.

Hamilton should win.
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: Wednesday, December 2, 2020, 18:24:23 »

I went to the VIP party after the TV show a few years ago. You name them, I met them.  Was a great night if you like your sport.

Bar steward?
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: Wednesday, December 2, 2020, 18:34:20 »

Some will argue the validity of certain "sports" like Snooker and F1 but many enjoy all sports, across all medium.

Hollie Doyle has probably done more this year than Fury, Broad or Henderson have but won't get anywhere near - in part due to her being a woman (not my opinion as to why this is the case) and her sport is argued by many that similar to F1, the vehicle (in this case the horse) is the main successor. In both there are much bigger teams behind the individual, even though both are considered as a solo event. Another nod is Horse Racing is one of the few sports at elite level which treats it's riders as equal in terms of gender - so in a male dominated environment (despite the surge of elite female jockeys in recent years) Doyle has probably had to work even harder too just to get certain rides. Extraordinarily brilliant season.
Verdict: Possible 3rd (but also deserved of 2nd)

Ronnie O'Sullivan is a bit of a cock but he is incredibly talented in his field. If the likes of boring bastards, *Andy Murray and Steve Davis can win SPOTY then there is no reason why he can't, considering his services to Snooker. Ambidextrous, arrogant, entertaining and continually record breaking; he's not bigger than the game but Snooker without O'Sullivan would be a very dour place.
Verdict: Runner-Up (any other year and he may have won it)

Lewis Hamilton of course has won before and I think been runner up a few times. Some might say, sharing the wealth would mean him not winning it again but I don't think his achievements can really be disputed. Finally doing the unthinkable and beating the greatest in Michael Schumacher (another loved and loathed) in nearly every record. If he hasn't yet, he certainly will and an 8th title looks imminent (a year from now) which will truly stand him alone as the greatest ever.

We can argue the era of motorsport and there are valid fors and against in matching him against Juan Fangio. Would a modern driver be able to drive well such an unsafe and difficult to handle car but the same could be reversed to Fangio, could he have handled the speed, Gs, power and all the technical instruments of a modern car? For their individual  era, Fangio certainly was the greatest. In this era Hamilton certainly is the greatest. I put him ahead of Schumacher - which I know is cardinal sin but it is time to accept that the unsurpassable has finally been surpassed. For it to be done by a British man, and in such a year full of uncertainty, this probably is worthy of being celebrated.
Verdict: Winner

*I was surprised to find that Andy Murray has won it three times?! Did he happen to win it when no one else did anything? I don't dispute what a great Tennis player he was and he probably deserved it one of the years but three seems a little extreme.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
JBZ

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: Wednesday, December 2, 2020, 20:22:55 »

Bar steward?

I have been called worse

Nothing to see here
4D