Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Women's Super League  (Read 1077 times)
jonny72

Ignore
« on: Thursday, December 10, 2009, 22:37:23 »

So the FA's Women's Super League will finally be starting in 2011, played over the summer with 8 teams.

Maybe I've had too much to drink, but I reckon this is the sort of thing we should be getting involved in.

The money involved isn't too bad, at max £250k a season less whatever comes in from ticket sales, merchandise, TV or whatever. The only downside I can think of other than the money is the wear on the pitch over the summer, but there are plenty of positives.

It will give us the option of watching Swindon play over the summer, it will attract a lot of women fans, help grow the status of the club, give us some fit birds to wank over (women footballers aren't all rough) and most importantly will most likely result in more people turning up for the main event.

Surely its a win, win?
Doore

« Reply #1 on: Thursday, December 10, 2009, 22:41:04 »

Depends on your domestic situation.  I have enough problems with the football season every year and the World Cup/European Championships every other summer.  The summers in between are where I earn my "not watching football" brownie points.  A selfish view, of course, but I need those brownie points.7

From an objective perspective though, I completely agree with you.
flammableBen

« Reply #2 on: Thursday, December 10, 2009, 22:47:29 »

It will be interesting to see how it goes for the clubs involved. However, for a club in our position I'd say the £250k would be better spent invested in the youth system, or lowering home game match tickets by a few quid.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, December 10, 2009, 22:57:51 »

Actually I've just done some checking and even Arsenal, who are the most successful women's team and fully backed by the proper Arsenal, only get a few hundred turning up for games. So playing at the CG would be a bit of a joke and a waste. So a deal with a small local club would be the way to go, Supermarine for example.

But I stand by my main point that women's teams should be part and parcel of a club and that they could be a major asset if done correctly. I think I'd go to a good few games, if not all, just because they were Swindon - provided there was at least one hottie of course.

With regards to my £250k cost, I think the only requirement is an investment of £70k (which the FA match) so it could be done cheaper. In the short term it would cost, but in the long term it would be well worth it.
Spencer_White

« Reply #4 on: Sunday, December 13, 2009, 12:49:48 »

The FA are desperate to do something about the womens game because they keep getting criticised by the government.

But the fact is, no one wants to watch womens club football. The leftys in Labour need to look at the harsh economic realities.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, December 13, 2009, 13:22:15 »

But the fact is, no one wants to watch womens club football. The leftys in Labour need to look at the harsh economic realities.

Totally agree. I'd rather watch all 5 days of a test match sober than watch womens football.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: