Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Jimmy Glass Biography..........  (Read 4433 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« on: Wednesday, December 22, 2004, 16:19:25 »

Read this over on the Bormuff Rivals site,  about JG, might interest someone, but probably wont.

Have just read the book and it certainly makes you realise that not all players earn good money.He is very honest and it left me feeling quite sorry for him.Reading between the lines,he has never really come to terms with his "instant" and very brief fame.Basically,towards the end of his career he just couldn't get a club and left the game.He still had large debts from gambling and did not tell his wife- oops! After working in IT for two years he packed it in and tried to make a comeback which failed.He is now working as a taxi driver and goes to Gamblers Anonymous.
You could say that he had his chance and blew it or that he just was not good enough.However,I finished the book and wished that it had a happy ending but I am not so sure that he will make it.Well worth reading.
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, December 22, 2004, 16:22:14 »

Quote from: "Reg Smeeton"
Read this over on the Bormuff Rivals site,  about JG, might interest someone, but probably wont.

Have just read the book and it certainly makes you realise that not all players earn good money.He is very honest and it left me feeling quite sorry for him.Reading between the lines,he has never really come to terms with his "instant" and very brief fame.Basically,towards the end of his career he just couldn't get a club and left the game.He still had large debts from gambling and did not tell his wife- oops! After working in IT for two years he packed it in and tried to make a comeback which failed.He is now working as a taxi driver and goes to Gamblers Anonymous.
You could say that he had his chance and blew it or that he just was not good enough.However,I finished the book and wished that it had a happy ending but I am not so sure that he will make it.Well worth reading.
Anybody with a gambling problem has onlt themselves to blame, but to be honest it was ridiculous that he ever played for Swindon in the first place. Everybody knew he couldn't play football yet we still paid him! Talk about getting somebody's hopes up.
Anonymous

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, December 22, 2004, 18:12:24 »

R4E, i think your very wrong there Gambling is very, very addictive. I'm only 17 but have lost a dollar plenty gambling you get a rush and speed of excitement that is addictive
Johno

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, December 22, 2004, 18:52:27 »

i don't see the point in gambling really, and if you start its your own fault.

Jimmy Glass is a player, who played in high divisions for no reason cause he wasn't good enough. but that goal for carlisle is special!
Dazzza

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, December 22, 2004, 22:01:22 »

Think I may purchase that, cheers Reg:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0752431811/qid=1103752206/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/202-6415349-1854268

Got to feel for the chap.  I always thought it odd that he dropped out of the game so quick after that goal.

He was certainly not the greatest keeper but I always thought he was Div 3 standard certainly Conference.

Not sure the instant fame part is that applicable, after all he was a league player for some time and while he wasn't a house hold name certainly regionally where he played he would have been well known.

Gambling is a funny old addiction though.  My step uncle is a big time gambler and is constantly either minted or on a low ebb that said I think the low ebb is essential to the addiction.  Unlike drugs and drink it means the tolerance never really develops and there is always a new high to experience.

On the other side of the coin I have met a chap who is probably close to being what's called a pro.  He's cold, calculating and knows his stuff.   Rarely shows the emotion when winning or losing and I think that distance gives him the edge.  When I met him he was hard up himself and he would often borrow £20.00 in the afternoon and when I ran into him later on the Town he would be sat on a table with bottles of Champagne on the go.  He could easily turn £20.00 to a few hundred in a very short space of time.  His only downfall was that he was used to living such an extravagant lifestyle his winnings where quickly spent on luxuries rather than re-invested.

yeo

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, December 22, 2004, 22:08:10 »

Reeves4england and Johno your so bloody niave it  kills me.

/
W56196272
blinkpip
His Infernal Majesty

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, December 22, 2004, 22:28:23 »

I didnt know he had a book out. I still got a signed pair of gloves of his.

ee the trick is only pick on those that can't do you no harm
Like the drummer from Def Leppard's only got one arm

I annoyed Yeovilred 28/01/06
Panda Paws

Arse

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, December 22, 2004, 22:42:32 »

Quote from: "Yeovil Red"
Reeves4england and Johno your so bloody niave it  kills me.

For definate -  you need to get into the real world, lads!

I'll join the queue of people to buy that one, once the Xmas pressies have been paid for!!!

I knew that Jimmy had fallen out of the game and into a life in IT. I didn't know the poor guy ended up gambling away what little he had.

Perhaps it was all an attempt to get back to the buzz he must have got that day up at Brunton Park.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, December 22, 2004, 22:56:07 »

The sad thing is that Jimmy's goal only gained Carlisle a temporary reprieve...after such an epic they should have fired up the league, like Torquay(well sort of) after the McNichol being bitten by a dog added on time game, Burnley who flirted with a final day relegation and Brighton at Hereford. (They've not been back)
Johno

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, December 22, 2004, 23:03:31 »

well at least now we have a wide range of opinions, just our perspective.
Dazzza

« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, December 22, 2004, 23:04:51 »

Just looking back at their history it's hard to imagine them pulling 27500: vs Middlesbrough 07/02/1970 in the FA cup.

I did think they looked to be on their way a season or so before JG's goal but then did sink again.

Strangely enough apparently they have been looking at a merger with Scotch team Clydebank.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, December 22, 2004, 23:07:50 »

A Johnoism is always good Cheesy
Johno

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, December 22, 2004, 23:21:22 »

'tarn tooten'  Soapy Tit Wank  probably is its normally when everyone thinks im being stupid.  :x
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, December 23, 2004, 18:41:03 »

I remember him playing in Goal for Bournemouth against Bristol Shitty in a game shown live on Sky.

He played an absolute blinder and helped Bournemouth beat them.  Soapy Tit Wank

I remember thinking he was a good Keeper when we signed him.

It's was only after seeing him play a few games for us that you realise that was "HIS DAY", until the 'GOAL' I guess.

Haven't got an axe to grind with the Bloke though, Hope he comes out of it OK.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: