Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Help with connecting my work laptop to t'internet  (Read 9520 times)
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday, November 24, 2009, 06:47:07 »

No they don't. I have been using them at home for a couple of years and they are great. I live in a 3 story house and the wireless is very tempremental.

I don't know what brand they are as I got them free off BT when they bodged the installation of a new phone line into our old house.
Simple plug and play. The ones that Batch advertised at the top of the thread are the ones to go for. Read the reviews against them.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
sheepshagger
Suburban Capitalist........

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday, November 24, 2009, 07:57:14 »

Agree with Batch on this - I have 4 of these working at home really well.  We have a 3 story house and wireless is a bit shit - but these work so well I can stream HD movie content to my PS3 no problem at all.

The kids both have PC's and I use another 2 to connect their PC's to the t'internet

I also have 2 of the Netgear 200 jobbies - stay clear of these !!  The bandwith you get is absolutely shite compared to the cheaper ones.  The difference is about ten times when I ran a test using exactly the same plug points !

You also need no drivers at all - they come with a little application but this is basically to scan the things and tell you what speed you are getting......

One other thing - try to plug directly into mains - not through an extension block - this slows the signal dramatically - and if they are the "surge protect" models then often the signal doesn't get through at all.....

Hope that helps :-)

Wise men say........
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #17 on: Tuesday, November 24, 2009, 11:53:59 »

Or you could pay me to install a proper cat6 (throughput up to 1gb) cable and ends like this:

[url width=200 height=200]http://www.solentcables.co.uk/acatalog/5052209015380-1.jpg[/url]

pm me if interested.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday, November 24, 2009, 12:07:25 »

What John said. Materials will be cheaper, just the potential mess of routing the cables. But if you've got liftable floorboards it should be a piece of piss.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #19 on: Tuesday, November 24, 2009, 12:10:34 »

I wouldn't want to quote without seeing the job but I imagine I could do it for around £50.
sheepshagger
Suburban Capitalist........

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday, November 24, 2009, 12:44:12 »

What about a 3 story house with laminate floors throughout - about 10 points needed - no cables showing as the missus will poo poo it !!!

Wise men say........
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #21 on: Tuesday, November 24, 2009, 14:18:29 »

What about a 3 story house with laminate floors throughout - about 10 points needed - no cables showing as the missus will poo poo it !!!

I can do it, but it would cost you!
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday, November 24, 2009, 15:24:10 »

Up the walls. Easy.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #23 on: Tuesday, November 24, 2009, 15:47:40 »

You must have a lot of compter gear
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: