Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: help me make my computer super speedy  (Read 7341 times)

Ignore
« on: Saturday, November 21, 2009, 11:09:31 »

well maybe not super speedy,but quicker than its current stagnant state.
it takes ages to get itself sorted at start up.and has generally got slow as fuck lately(the mrs and kids use it mostly and i stick to my lappy)
i've tried defrag,and disc clean up etc.
i have read about remeoving stuff from start but dont know how to do that.any advice would be welcome.
ta..............
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, November 21, 2009, 11:12:24 »

http://thetownend.com/index.php/topic,36376.msg753928.html#msg753928 should help with startup processes.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, November 21, 2009, 11:18:34 »

Hi arriba...my advice would be to take it to the computer shop in Gorse Hill...its cheap and he does a good job...its probably a build up of rubbish and he has done a good job for me....its nearly imposible to do it yourself so maybe give him ago.
Rustle
Prediction League Champion 2012/13

TEF World Cup Stunners Champion 2010

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, November 21, 2009, 12:09:51 »

Hi arriba...my advice would be to take it to the computer shop in Gorse Hill...its cheap and he does a good job...its probably a build up of rubbish and he has done a good job for me....its nearly imposible to do it yourself so maybe give him ago.

I'll second this Arriba,he will usually do it the same day if you take it in early.

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, November 21, 2009, 12:47:50 »

i'm gonna try myself first but thanks for the recomendation
anyway when i go over startup and right click then open.it doesn't have anything in it?
i know there must be stuff but i cannot find any?
if i hover over startup it only comes up with.
dslmon and utility tray.seems to do nothing when i click either of them.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, November 21, 2009, 12:53:04 »

That's because a lot of startup processes aren't in the startup folder.

Si Pie posted this link which shows you how to disable them using msconfig > http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, November 21, 2009, 14:13:22 »

What OS are you running and how
much RAM do you have?

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, November 21, 2009, 14:20:52 »

Assuming it's XP, if you've got everything you need to keep backed up, the single biggest thing you can do to improve speed without upgrading hardware is reinstall. All versions of Windows need reinstalling every 6-12 months because they just deteriorate shockingly and no amount of cleaning up/registry sweeping/defragging will solve it.

I'm convinced that's a big part of why people think new versions of Windows are blindingly fast - it's not so much that new version x is actually that much faster than version y, but that their old install had got so much cruft in it, that most of the percieved speed increase they see is actually from having a clean install.

Or if re-installing seems like a lot of hassle, you could go down the TalkTalk route and "set fire to the fucking thing". Not sure how much speed improvement that makes though
Fred Elliot
I REST MY FUCKING CASE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, November 21, 2009, 14:30:48 »

Cheesy

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, November 21, 2009, 14:56:55 »

sippo.i have no idea how much ram,and i dont know what os means?

pauld your suggestion sounds like too much work.i dont have things backed up nor do i know how to do that.i'm pretty useless with computers unless i'm given instructions from more knowledgeable people.si's links were easy to follow so i'm gratefull for them.

i've gone down the windows defender route and disabled stuff from startup.that way it's still in there if i want to put it back.
seems faster,so it has done some good .
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, November 21, 2009, 15:27:07 »

Sorry had my geek head on. Is it xp or vista?

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #11 on: Saturday, November 21, 2009, 16:12:15 »

Assuming it's XP, if you've got everything you need to keep backed up, the single biggest thing you can do to improve speed without upgrading hardware is reinstall. All versions of Windows need reinstalling every 6-12 months because they just deteriorate shockingly and no amount of cleaning up/registry sweeping/defragging will solve it.

I'm convinced that's a big part of why people think new versions of Windows are blindingly fast - it's not so much that new version x is actually that much faster than version y, but that their old install had got so much cruft in it, that most of the percieved speed increase they see is actually from having a clean install.

Or if re-installing seems like a lot of hassle, you could go down the TalkTalk route and "set fire to the fucking thing". Not sure how much speed improvement that makes though

I fully agree with that Paul. 6-12 months is probably overkill unless you're a speed freak, certainly when you're waiting a few minutes for Windows to load it's a worthy consideration. A new faster and emptier hard drive along with a fresh install of windows has cut down load times on an old laptop of mine to well under a minute. Not bad for a £35 upgrade.

Changing the hard drive was the piss easy bit, copying files and re-installing everything was a bit more of a hassle but it has been well worth it. For most people that's a lot of hassle though, so it's a compromise to tweak what you already have.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, November 21, 2009, 17:09:11 »

pauld your suggestion sounds like too much work.i dont have things backed up nor do i know how to do that.i'm pretty useless with computers unless i'm given instructions from more knowledgeable people.si's links were easy to follow so i'm gratefull for them.
That's fair enough arriba. Unless you've got stuff backed up and are used to reinstalling, it can be a bit of a mare. Glad to hear Si's links helped out - like Si says, it is a lot of hassle so if you can improve things by tweaking, all to the good
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, November 21, 2009, 17:24:03 »

When I was re-installing Windows I'd always just buy a new hard drive and install to that as the new main drive, then have the old drive mounted as a secondary or external drive. It makes it nice and easy to switch back, by booting the other drive / swapping them over, and all the data is nice and easy to move over.

Its good to do it as it gets rid of all the old software you never use, data you don't use and all the shit that has been left lying around for whatever reason.
Barry Scott

« Reply #14 on: Saturday, November 21, 2009, 18:52:42 »

Well i'm gonna sound ultra smarmy now. Once i get my computer running sweet, i take a drive image and just reinstall the image whenever it starts to get on my tits. I also created about 5 images, for different operating environments, and just switch between them whenever i need to. Smiley
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: