Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: That Darned North Stand.  (Read 1351 times)
leefer

Ignore
« on: Sunday, November 15, 2009, 14:29:29 »

Reading a prog from Town v Bury in 1985...Town were just begining the period under Macari...crowds were low...finances dire,while reading the prog a page was put aside for then secretary Bob Jefferies for an incredible statement,it made sad reading then and begs the question are we still paying for it....here goes BJ,s Statement..remember this was in 1985

In 1971 following our success in the Lge Cup and promotion we decided to embark on building a new stand...the main reason being that the local authority had condemed the existing one.
In doing so the club were coerced into building a stand much grander than wanted as the council wanted it to fit in with there image of the New Swindon.
We borrowed at the time from the local authority £271,000 to be repaid over 40 years!
The initial annual payment was to be £16,000 per annum rising to £43,000 in the final year in 2012.
In fact the club in 1985 have already paid back £238,000 but the accuring interest has been crippling the club.
When the loan was taken out in 1971 the average crowd was 18,009...now (1985) it is 2,934 so you can see our task is an impossible one.
My suggestion is to make relevant payments based on the crowd average..if this is not possible lower payments over a longer period.
My wish is for us the club to purchase the ground and buildings.
I must emphasise we are meeting our day to day costs..the problem is the outstanding debt of £93,000 to the council and the £140 per day interest added(remember this was 1985).
I am sure every unbiased person will see that the club is in an impossible situation and the this problem must be resolved as soon as possible to the satisfaction of both parties.

I find this an really strange announcement at the time and its mind boggling to think that it was to be paid till 2012...ime sure with the comings and goings the debt has been resolved?...or are we still paying for it,anyone know....it was strong words for the club to be saying they were coerced by the council to build big....very strange indeed.

ron dodgers

shaddap your face

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, November 15, 2009, 17:03:08 »

so we didn't pay for it in the end cos we went into admin (twice) - it would be nice to know how much we actually paid in total
Spencer_White

« Reply #2 on: Sunday, November 15, 2009, 17:19:30 »

Ive got a complete set of home programmes from 1984-1986 and they are actually worth reading. The club talk very frankly about the problems they have, hooliganism, fences, finances in the editorials. Plus things like fans walking from Swindon to John O'Groats to raise money for the club.

I dont buy programmes now. They are like an edition of Score. Same old bullshit every week.

2012 will be just about in time for the North stand to be demolished.
SwindonTartanArmy
Go Team GB!

London Scottish - More History than Franchise!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Monday, November 16, 2009, 10:26:35 »

Ive got a complete set of home programmes from 1984-1986 and they are actually worth reading. The club talk very frankly about the problems they have, hooliganism, fences, finances in the editorials. Plus things like fans walking from Swindon to John O'Groats to raise money for the club.

I dont buy programmes now. They are like an edition of Score. Same old bullshit every week.

2012 will be just about in time for the North stand to be demolished.
[url width=304 height=380]http://s59.radikal.ru/i163/0905/dd/4df8a3f3f75a.jpg[/url]

Vi er best i verden! Vi er best i verden! Vi har slått England 2-1 i fotball!! Det er aldeles utrolig! Vi har slått England! England, kjempers fødeland. Lord Nelson, Lord Beaverbrook, Sir Winston Churchill, Sir Anthony Eden, Clement Attlee, Henry Cooper, Lady Diana--vi har slått dem alle sammen. Vi har slått dem alle sammen. Maggie Thatcher can you hear me?
Your boys took a hell of a beating!"
Bedford Red

Smithers Jones

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Monday, November 16, 2009, 21:01:48 »

Reading a prog from Town v Bury in 1985...Town were just begining the period under Macari...crowds were low...finances dire,while reading the prog a page was put aside for then secretary Bob Jefferies for an incredible statement,it made sad reading then and begs the question are we still paying for it....here goes BJ,s Statement..remember this was in 1985

In 1971 following our success in the Lge Cup and promotion we decided to embark on building a new stand...the main reason being that the local authority had condemed the existing one.
In doing so the club were coerced into building a stand much grander than wanted as the council wanted it to fit in with there image of the New Swindon.
We borrowed at the time from the local authority £271,000 to be repaid over 40 years!
The initial annual payment was to be £16,000 per annum rising to £43,000 in the final year in 2012.
In fact the club in 1985 have already paid back £238,000 but the accuring interest has been crippling the club.
When the loan was taken out in 1971 the average crowd was 18,009...now (1985) it is 2,934 so you can see our task is an impossible one.
My suggestion is to make relevant payments based on the crowd average..if this is not possible lower payments over a longer period.
My wish is for us the club to purchase the ground and buildings.
I must emphasise we are meeting our day to day costs..the problem is the outstanding debt of £93,000 to the council and the £140 per day interest added(remember this was 1985).
I am sure every unbiased person will see that the club is in an impossible situation and the this problem must be resolved as soon as possible to the satisfaction of both parties.

I find this an really strange announcement at the time and its mind boggling to think that it was to be paid till 2012...ime sure with the comings and goings the debt has been resolved?...or are we still paying for it,anyone know....it was strong words for the club to be saying they were coerced by the council to build big....very strange indeed.

I was sorting out programmes from 1970 last night, Sunderland H i think.

Anyhow, there was a lot in that about the new stand being built, the supporters club were saying it was £18k per year to 2012 and that they would need to do a lot of fundraising to help pay for it etc.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Monday, November 16, 2009, 21:25:56 »

It was about 85, that the supporter's club was turfed out of the Rendezvous Club. This for younger readers was a large space upstairs in the Arkells, which now contains smaller suites. The supporter's club originally was in a bunch of huts, in the car park by the CGH, in return for fundraising efforts and losing the huts..it got this smart facility.

The last time I remember using it, was for the party to celebrate getting 102 points after beating Crewe...all the players there, Macari stayed away so the players could enjoy themselves at end of season.

A lot were fucked off that the club was treating some of its most loyal fans in this way. It coincided with the change of articles, which allowed a more "commercial" type onto the Board....and it's been serious financial problems since.

The SC was a proper club ie open pub hours which organised all sorts of social functions.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: