Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 18   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon V Norwich. Official Champions League Thread.  (Read 20946 times)
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #225 on: Wednesday, November 11, 2009, 00:57:10 »

The Arkell's has to be open for hospitality etc, which is fine. Why the fuck didn't they just shut down the Don Rogers stand and fill up the Arkells and Town End though?

Ace as our new board have been, they need a bit of fucking nouse in the football world as well as general business accumen.  A hostile Town End may of been the difference tonight.

I agree, I thought it would make sense to open the Arkells and TE, instead of Arkells and DRS.
DMR

« Reply #226 on: Wednesday, November 11, 2009, 01:37:20 »

A hostile Town End may of been the difference tonight.

You must be having a giggle, a hostile Townend? We've not had one of those for years and we certainly weren't gonna get one in the fucking Tin Pot trophy against a bunch of Norfolk inbreds.
nevillew
Tripping the light puntastic

Ignore
« Reply #227 on: Wednesday, November 11, 2009, 07:20:18 »

You must be having a giggle, a hostile Townend? We've not had one of those for years and we certainly weren't gonna get one in the fucking Tin Pot trophy against a bunch of Norfolk inbreds.

Unbelievably, I find myself agreeing with you DMR.

By the same token, if we'd have won tonight, would everyone be demanding the Town End closed for all cup games ?

Paolo Di Canio, it's Paolo Di Canio
timmyg

Ignore
« Reply #228 on: Wednesday, November 11, 2009, 08:52:01 »

I thought we were pretty good last night.  I know they were at half strength, but we had the much better chances, just kept hitting them straight at the keeper.

Hutchinson was very lively in "the hole" and seemed to have a bit more confidence about his play, actually wanting the ball and moving it on, not afraid to have a shot when it opened up.  I don't think he's up to much, but he was good last night. 

Revell was also good, I thought.  Won most things in the air and linked up well with Lescinel down the left flank a few times.  He also won us a fair amount of possesion just from chasing down their keeper and defenders and forcing missed passes.

Cuthbert and Greer were, as always, top quality and very solid.

It was my first time in the Don Rogers Stand and I hated it.  I hate not standing and singing, and for a cup tie I think you need that, even if there were only 500 in the Town End, at least we would have made a bit of noise instead of just clapping every now and then.  A shootout in front of an empty stand is just plain wrong.

Overall, a good effort and good display.  Unlucky.

never trust a nun...
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #229 on: Wednesday, November 11, 2009, 09:19:07 »

Safe to say it wasn't a classic but was a hell of a lot better than saturday.

I have no idea if it was because the town end was shut/it was only a tenner a ticket/or whether i was just plain unlucky but i seemed to have more than my fair share of moaners sat near me (in my usual seat) last night.

The highlights were an old boy complete with his family shouting at Wilson to sub Douglas after 15 minutes because he is shit and then following various inane ramblings during the game shouting at Wilson to resign after we lost the penalty shootout because his team is shit.

I thought others may object but then there was also a bloke in front of me who shouted at Greer to "get off the pitch" after he cleared a ball (his job) but overhit it out for a goal kick.

For crying out loud if people are going to get on Wilson, Dougie's and expecially Greer's backs after a 0-0 draw with Norwich then there is no hope.
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #230 on: Wednesday, November 11, 2009, 09:47:11 »

I'm seriously starting to not enjoy going to the County Ground. It's not due to the football, it's the ever increasing air of negativity that is permeating in a large number of the home support.

It's fucking depressing and ruins what used to be a great day out.

There seems to be a lot more people who go with unrealistic expectations, who demand fantastic football every week, who expect all our players to be premiership standard, who believe we should be in the Championship, etc, etc.

I go in the hope of seeing a good game, in the hope that we'll get a good cup run, in the hope that we'll secure promotion and in the hope that our players will put in 100% effort.

But I also go realising that our players aren't world beaters, we are a lower league side, we have no divine right to be playing in a higher division, we aren't the richest or best supported team in our league, we will lose/draw games, we will sometimes play badly.

Not so long ago all supporters of teams outside the elite few had the same views, hope countered by realism. Now it seems everyone expects and demands.

It's All Good..............
dell boy

« Reply #231 on: Wednesday, November 11, 2009, 09:51:50 »

I'm seriously starting to not enjoy going to the County Ground. It's not due to the football, it's the ever increasing air of negativity that is permeating in a large number of the home support.

There seems to be a lot more people who go with unrealistic expectations, who demand fantastic football every week, who expect all our players to be premiership standard, who believe we should be in the Championship, etc, etc.

I go in the hope of seeing a good game, in the hope that we'll get a good cup run, in the hope that we'll secure promotion and in the hope that our players will put in 100% effort.

But I also go realising that our players aren't world beaters, we are a lower league side, we have no divine right to be playing in a higher division, we aren't the richest or best supported team in our league, we will lose/draw games, we will sometimes play badly.

Not so long ago all supporters of teams outside the elite few had the same views, hope countered by realism. Now it seems everyone expects and demands.

I feel a bit depressed after reading your post.

Can I suggest you move to the centre of the DRS stand around row M, we are a nice bunch of happy clappers who support the side, have the odd grown, very rarely do you hear abuse thrown at Swindon players.

« Last Edit: Wednesday, November 11, 2009, 09:53:36 by dell boy » Logged
dell boy

« Reply #232 on: Wednesday, November 11, 2009, 10:03:27 »

Re the match: I thought Hutchinson had one of his best games last night, tremendous piece of skill on the left hand touch line in the first half.

Austin looked very good, he must start in the next game.

Second half was quite entertaining, especially the last 20 minutes, good value for a tenner.
STFC_Gazza

« Reply #233 on: Wednesday, November 11, 2009, 10:08:42 »

Must say the second half started a bit boring but picked up. My Uncle came along as it was a cheap match. Was great to haer almost the whole ground chanting COME ON YOU REDS at one time. Didnt feel like a JPT match to me. Fair Play to Norwich, their fans were very loud at times.
Rustle
Prediction League Champion 2012/13

TEF World Cup Stunners Champion 2010

Ignore
« Reply #234 on: Wednesday, November 11, 2009, 10:10:14 »

I feel a bit depressed after reading your post.

Can I suggest you move to the centre of the DRS stand around row M, we are a nice bunch of happy clappers who support the side, have the odd grown, very rarely do you hear abuse thrown at Swindon players.

Although it sounded a bit depressing i think herthab summed it up pretty well,fair play to the guy who tried to get the crowd going by standing up and singing give us an S,at least he was being positive and trying to get everyone to get behind the team.
dell boy

« Reply #235 on: Wednesday, November 11, 2009, 10:14:19 »

Although it sounded a bit depressing i think herthab summed it up pretty well,fair play to the guy who tried to get the crowd going by standing up and singing give us an S,at least he was being positive and trying to get everyone to get behind the team.

Totally agree with what you say. Was it Herthab who stood up near the Town End?
The atmosphere, well there was no atmosphere for 80 minutes of the match, very low-key can't help the players when it is that quiet.

Gazza for the amount of Norwich fans in The Arkells I thought they were pretty poor, they only came out in song every 15 minutes.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #236 on: Wednesday, November 11, 2009, 10:23:07 »

Good post Steve and one I agree with. I just feel it needs to be pointed out that it was Fitton himself who claimed Championship football in 3 years and it was Wilson himself who at the start of the season was talking about the play offs.

I know there is a fine line between being ambitious/deluded and unambitious/realistic but I don't think those types of comments help.
Barry Scott

« Reply #237 on: Wednesday, November 11, 2009, 10:26:11 »

This is my thinking as well. I've started to leave matches early because i HATE hearing the team booed, which from what i understand, is any result other than a resounding home win.

Our fanbase is full of thick, knuckle-dragging idiots who are ruining my enjoyment. I remember when i could leave a draw, or even a loss, and find the positives and not always feel bad. Now i almost always leave angry or even livid at some of the mindless shit the idiots around me talk or shout about. It's like a virus, too much negativity just spreads and affects everyone in the end.

What we need are armed stewards. Anyone who shouts negative criticism without justifying it, or makes squawking sounds, gets their face blown through the back or their skull.
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #238 on: Wednesday, November 11, 2009, 10:30:25 »

Good post Steve and one I agree with. I just feel it needs to be pointed out that it was Fitton himself who claimed Championship football in 3 years and it was Wilson himself who at the start of the season was talking about the play offs.

I know there is a fine line between being ambitious/deluded and unambitious/realistic but I don't think those types of comments help.

Yep, agree with that, although sitting in 8th place it's possible we could get into the playoff places come May and I hope we do. Fitton just said what he believes is possible, as did Wilson.

I believe it's possible as well, I just don't think we should be demanding it. Bigger clubs than us struggle to get out of this league.

It's All Good..............
STFC_Gazza

« Reply #239 on: Wednesday, November 11, 2009, 10:32:04 »

I TRY to find the positives out of games. Back of the Town End , Terry (who complained to the adver about not fitting in the new shirts) and the guy that looks like Beano, every play, or touch they complain and start shouting at the players. Its ridiculous. I for one am very happy were we are. Just remember where we were last season? It could be a lot worse especially after losing Coxy.....
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 18   Go Up
Print
Jump to: