Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Windows 7  (Read 13224 times)
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, November 4, 2009, 22:54:08 »

I couldn't even build a kennel let alone a kernal.

Plus you can't even spell it.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, November 4, 2009, 23:04:56 »

Ooo check you. Is there really any performance increase running a custom kernel? Not a criticism, genuine question. I fancy compiling my own kernel but i'm not sure if it's worth the hassle.
Marginal these days tbh. Or at least yes there can be but there's likely to be so many more factors affecting performance that are worth looking at first, the usual suspects. I just resent how easy it all is for newbies these days - when I were a lad, we had to build our own kernels, then our own X-server, and THEN we had to know the exact modeline to use in case we blew up the monitor. Graphical installers, indeed!

I haven't built my own kernel in years - I have grown soft and flabby with being spoilt by being able to install the whole kit and kaboodle from scratch in a couple of hours like everyone else. But last time I did, it's not really that much hassle, so worth a try, see if it does do anything for you. Made little or bugger all difference last time I tried it, but it was curiously satisfying if only for the retro blast Smiley
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, November 4, 2009, 23:45:16 »

Plus you can't even spell it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KERNAL

I meant this obviously.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Thursday, November 5, 2009, 00:30:04 »

How long did you spend searching for a reference to "Kernal" that you could use to try to cover your arse?
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #19 on: Thursday, November 5, 2009, 00:39:39 »

I think you really missed the point. You must try harder if you want to be a smart arse.

About the misspelling
The KERNAL was known as kernel[1] inside of Commodore since the PET days, but in 1980 Robert Russell misspelled the word in his notebooks forming the word kernal. When Commodore technical writers Neil Harris and Andy Finkel collected Russell's notes and used them as the basis for the VIC-20 programmer's manual, the misspelling followed them along and stuck
Melksham Red

« Reply #20 on: Thursday, November 5, 2009, 08:04:12 »

Marginal these days tbh. Or at least yes there can be but there's likely to be so many more factors affecting performance that are worth looking at first, the usual suspects. I just resent how easy it all is for newbies these days - when I were a lad, we had to build our own kernels, then our own X-server, and THEN we had to know the exact modeline to use in case we blew up the monitor. Graphical installers, indeed!

I haven't built my own kernel in years - I have grown soft and flabby with being spoilt by being able to install the whole kit and kaboodle from scratch in a couple of hours like everyone else. But last time I did, it's not really that much hassle, so worth a try, see if it does do anything for you. Made little or bugger all difference last time I tried it, but it was curiously satisfying if only for the retro blast Smiley

I don't think i'll bother. I really haven't got the time lately what with preparing for babby. I used to install a differnet distro at a rate of about one a day at one point (sad cunt) Including base installs of Arch, Gentoo, Debian, Slackware and building them up. Fucking around with obscure WMs like JWM and Awesome. I've just about tested them all several times. In the end I thought fuck it KDE and QT are the best and I want an easy life so it's Suse and be done.   
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Thursday, November 5, 2009, 09:03:45 »

I don't think i'll bother. I really haven't got the time lately what with preparing for babby. I used to install a differnet distro at a rate of about one a day at one point (sad cunt) Including base installs of Arch, Gentoo, Debian, Slackware and building them up. Fucking around with obscure WMs like JWM and Awesome. I've just about tested them all several times. In the end I thought fuck it KDE and QT are the best and I want an easy life so it's Suse and be done.  
Although I can't claim to have reached quite your peaks of geekery/sadness, it sounds like we've followed a remarkably similar trajectory, although away from SuSE/KDE to Ubuntu/Gnome in my case. Although openSuse 11.x is on my todo list (see, still get the itch Smiley )
Melksham Red

« Reply #22 on: Thursday, November 5, 2009, 09:12:47 »

Although I can't claim to have reached quite your peaks of geekery/sadness, it sounds like we've followed a remarkably similar trajectory, although away from SuSE/KDE to Ubuntu/Gnome in my case. Although openSuse 11.x is on my todo list (see, still get the itch Smiley )

Opensuse 11.2 with kernel 2.6.31 and ext4 , oooh yeah baby!!! You know you want to.

How did my life come to this?  Sad
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Thursday, November 5, 2009, 11:18:56 »

Opensuse 11.2 with kernel 2.6.31 and ext4 , oooh yeah baby!!! You know you want to.
I do, I do! (Although using ext4 already and it's nice) But I don't have time atm and am trying to resist the urge. Get thee behind me, Melksham.

How did my life come to this?  Sad
When you find yourself having conversations like this, the term "life" is inappropriate Smiley
Phil_S

Who changed my Avatar ?!

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Thursday, November 5, 2009, 11:19:39 »

Sad, very sad

From the Dark Side
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Thursday, November 5, 2009, 11:27:40 »

Paul, I didn't have tou down as a beardy wierdy, open sandal with socks type man.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Thursday, November 5, 2009, 11:45:10 »

Paul, I didn't have tou down as a beardy wierdy, open sandal with socks type man.
I have the lack of social life, just without the fashion sense Smiley

In mine and MR's defence, I'd point you at the hotly raging "flat rate of VAT" debate between the accountants on the Southend administration thread. When it comes to sheer tedium, beancounters outdo geeks hands down.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Thursday, November 5, 2009, 11:52:33 »

Can't disagree on that Paul!
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Thursday, November 5, 2009, 12:01:25 »

Also, it is his job is it not?
Melksham Red

« Reply #29 on: Thursday, November 5, 2009, 12:06:17 »

I do, I do! (Although using ext4 already and it's nice) But I don't have time atm and am trying to resist the urge. Get thee behind me, Melksham.
When you find yourself having conversations like this, the term "life" is inappropriate Smiley

I love it, there's not many of us freedom fighters around.

Have you tried kde 4.3.2 Paul? It's sweet and kicks gnomes ass for speed, functionality and beauty. If you want to stick with the buntus then give kubuntu 9.1 a test. It's a really good qt distro now. Right up there with suse and mandriva now in my opinion.   

Even my behatch runs kubuntu on her laptop, she was so sick of vista. And there's no way i'm shelling out for windows 7.
« Last Edit: Thursday, November 5, 2009, 12:08:47 by Melksham Red » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: