Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Worst English players to play international  (Read 10188 times)
Rich Pullen

« Reply #45 on: Thursday, October 15, 2009, 20:32:47 »

Rio Ferdinand is a cert for South Africa. Doesn't mean he's world class though. He's very, very good footballer but world class? No, I don't think he is. When I think of world class defenders past and present Rio Ferdinand doesn't fit into the list.
Spencer_White

« Reply #46 on: Thursday, October 15, 2009, 20:35:57 »

At one time, earlier in his career, Rio Ferdinand was very overrated.

But over the last 4 years he has proven the plaudits right. Fantastic defender.
stfctownenda

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Thursday, October 15, 2009, 21:13:18 »

Rio Ferdinand is a cert for South Africa. Doesn't mean he's world class though. He's very, very good footballer but world class? No, I don't think he is. When I think of world class defenders past and present Rio Ferdinand doesn't fit into the list.

I would struggle to name 10 better centre backs in the world than him so does that not make him world class?
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Thursday, October 15, 2009, 21:14:37 »

Ferdinand is prone to the odd error, but he's the best we've got to partner Terry. Upson is technically a very good defender, but he lacks experience at the highest level.
axs
naaarrrrrppppp

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Thursday, October 15, 2009, 23:05:06 »

I would struggle to name 10 better centre backs in the world than him so does that not make him world class?

There's 200 odd countries in the world so presumably if he's in the top 200 he's world class.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Thursday, October 15, 2009, 23:14:52 »

There really aren't that many top notch centre backs around in the world today, Spain get along with Marchena and Puyol. Marchena is just a thug, and Puyol is alright but I'd probably take Terry and Ferdinand (prior to the last few months) over him.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Friday, October 16, 2009, 00:51:52 »

He's very, very good footballer but world class? No, I don't think he is. When I think of world class defenders past and present Rio Ferdinand doesn't fit into the list.

The present Rio Ferdinand is shit, fuck only knows what is going on inside his head. But at one point maybe 18 months or so ago he was easily one of the top centre backs in the world. He's made more class a fuck ups in the last 12 months than he made in the previous 5 years.

I reckon Capello should have told him he was shit and dropped him until he sorts it out.
Rich Pullen

« Reply #52 on: Friday, October 16, 2009, 07:16:06 »

Nostalgia gets in the way a bit because even the best made/make mistakes but it's clouded by all the good stuff they've done. However, I do think Rio Ferdinand is prone to errors too often... He's not had enough of those matches, especially at international level, where we look back and say "Ferdinand was immense that day".

I believe he should be both in the England squad and the England first eleven because he's very good and there isn't a stand-out player who can compete with for that place just yet. If only there was competition for him because maybe he wouldn't make such errors?

Ferdinand needs to learn that his legacy can't be secured because he's on £100,000 a week (or whatever) and has a good collection of medals - he needs consistancy and more career defining performances.

I happy to concede that there are several stand-out performances he might have had already but I'm not a West Ham/Leeds United/Manchester United fan so wouldn't really know, watching England I've seen solid displays but nothing to make me feel comfortable, especially against the better nations.
stfctownenda

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: Friday, October 16, 2009, 07:28:03 »

The present Rio Ferdinand is shit, fuck only knows what is going on inside his head. But at one point maybe 18 months or so ago he was easily one of the top centre backs in the world. He's made more class a fuck ups in the last 12 months than he made in the previous 5 years.

I reckon Capello should have told him he was shit and dropped him until he sorts it out.

I dont think its last 12 months at all, way over board.  I think the start of this season and only that before that he was one of the most consistent performers in Cappellos teams.  He has struggled with injuries over a period now so think that effects physical and mental sharpness, will be interesting to see if he starts playing regular whether all the mistakes will then cut out.
mexico red

Demasiado no es demasiado

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Friday, October 16, 2009, 07:29:04 »

the thing that annoys me about ferdinand is when ever england or manu score a goal he is always first to the goalscorer. every fucking time! surely as a defender he should be at the other end of the pitch but no, fucking rio is there. you watch in future and i will be proved right time and time again.
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Friday, October 16, 2009, 07:58:44 »

The thing that annoyed me with Ferdinand was that god awful programme he made a few years back, 'You've Been Merked'? or some such shit. Absolutely dire.

After subjecting us to that he should have never played for England again.

It's All Good..............
Rich Pullen

« Reply #56 on: Friday, October 16, 2009, 08:06:14 »

The thing that annoyed me with Ferdinand was that god awful programme he made a few years back, 'You've Been Merked'? or some such shit. Absolutely dire.

I don't think anyone could argue with this. I recall he slated Match of the Day for poor "banter" - while although many would argue that he may have a point I later saw him interview Tynchy Stryder for something and I've never listened to such mundane, monotonous "banter" from an interviewer in all my life.
nevillew
Tripping the light puntastic

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: Friday, October 16, 2009, 08:21:03 »

There's 200 odd countries in the world so presumably if he's in the top 200 he's world class.

No, that'd be international class.

Paolo Di Canio, it's Paolo Di Canio
Doore

« Reply #58 on: Friday, October 16, 2009, 08:46:56 »

I've not got much to add, but Ferdinand is a shoe-in to partner Terry.  No-one has yet come up with a convincing replacement.  I know he has made a few mistakes, but Upson is not in the same class.  The only one who would come close, if he had some knees, is Ledley King.  But he doesn't, so Ferdinand it is.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #59 on: Friday, October 16, 2009, 09:02:43 »

Haha I was chatting to someone about that on the night of the game. Sadly the memory of the show lives strong.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: