Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 8   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Bingo hall to become music venue  (Read 11490 times)
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday, September 2, 2009, 21:12:45 »

Now we need a few people or companies to take a gamble on opening some decent restaurants/cafes in Theatre Square and Regent Circus area, not pubs though.  Try and bring the area up a little.  What with the Theatre and Swindon School of Dance in the same area there should be a real push to get supporting businesses to move in.  See if Mr Holmes fancies opening a new musical instrument shop up there (Reduced rates maybe), and independent record store if possible, a shop or two selling theatrical stuff, get the local groups to put some street performances on etc
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday, September 2, 2009, 21:14:11 »

Or the town could go really crazy and do both.

And visit Birmingham and check out the Symphony Hall, walk along the canal to the NIA and go - hang on, this works.  Ok, maybe we would need to keep it a bit smaller in size, but the concept is there and it works a treat.
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday, September 2, 2009, 21:21:45 »

Now we need a few people or companies to take a gamble on opening some decent restaurants/cafes in Theatre Square and Regent Circus area, not pubs though.  Try and bring the area up a little.  What with the Theatre and Swindon School of Dance in the same area there should be a real push to get supporting businesses to move in.  See if Mr Holmes fancies opening a new musical instrument shop up there (Reduced rates maybe), and independent record store if possible, a shop or two selling theatrical stuff, get the local groups to put some street performances on etc

All those would be quality. It's what the town needs. Sod all this extra shop lark. We need to get a hot bed for culture and arts going. It's why places like Oxford are a much better proposition for business.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday, September 2, 2009, 21:29:12 »

I think what the last few posts have demonstrated is the ability of one notable development to attract others.  The new music venue - if handled sensibly - will act as a catalyst for other developments which, in time, could really bring the centre of town up.

A few more ideas...

(1)  Build a fucking university.  Not something in a field, 4 miles away on the edge of town.  A town centre university...complete with lots of centrally located students who will want to spend time at the new music venue.

(2)  And yes...build the fucking canal as well.  With a little imagination, this could transform the town centre for the better.  It will cost a bit, but things that are worth having generally do.
Barry Scott

« Reply #34 on: Wednesday, September 2, 2009, 21:54:22 »

This will probably sound a bit, "yeah i know people and stuff," but i don't. Regardless, since it closed a couple of mates wanted to open it as a live music venue, but being poor as church mice I think the idea went out of the Window. Either that or they've talked parents into re-mortgaging and have managed to keep this completely under their hats for the past few years.

Obviously it's not them, but if it's a success no doubt they'll be kicking themselves for not forcing the issue with parents and what not!
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #35 on: Wednesday, September 2, 2009, 22:46:16 »

Saw The Damned in there.......good fun.
me too. They've put on a good show both times I've seen them
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday, September 2, 2009, 23:00:51 »

Bit off topic, but outside of wandering down the motorway, is it it possible to cross the road unlawfully in Britain?
Carry a couple of guns, and a nicked stereo under one arm and a big bag of crack under the other. That should do it
flammableBen

« Reply #37 on: Wednesday, September 2, 2009, 23:08:57 »

Not to get to technical on legal stuff, and I'm in no way a qualified lawyer, but I'm pretty sure that in the above scenario it wouldn't be the 'crossing the road' which would be the unlawful part of the actions committed.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday, September 2, 2009, 23:15:38 »

Wikipedia knows all:

In England and Wales it is legal to cross all roads except motorways, where pedestrians and slow vehicles are not permitted. The Highway Code contains additional rules for crossing a road safely, but these are recommendations and not legally enforceable, although as with other advisory parts of the Highway Code compliance or otherwise can be used to establish liability in civil law proceedings such as insurance claims. The term "jaywalking" is little used and not very well known, except amongst some young people from American TV.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday, September 2, 2009, 23:19:49 »

Not to get to technical on legal stuff, and I'm in no way a qualified lawyer, but I'm pretty sure that in the above scenario it wouldn't be the 'crossing the road' which would be the unlawful part of the actions committed.
Fair point. Bet you'd still get nicked though
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday, September 2, 2009, 23:28:54 »

Although apparently you could cross the road naked in Trafralgar Square without fear of getting nicked as long as you called yourself "art":

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/8233636.stm

Try doing that in Swindon, see how far you get
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Thursday, September 3, 2009, 00:27:20 »

Wikipedia knows all:

In England and Wales it is legal to cross all roads except motorways

Wikipedia knows fuck all. Last time I checked it was perfectly legal to cross a motorway on a footbridge.
flammableBen

« Reply #42 on: Thursday, September 3, 2009, 00:39:10 »

How many gigs a year do you think the place will have to hold to make it viable?

They should subsidise the turnover by running bingo nights.
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Thursday, September 3, 2009, 07:26:46 »

If its an academy it will run club nights on friday and saturdays as well and they'll expect it to be used 6 nights a week either for gigs or clubs.

Never knowingly overstated.
nevillew
Tripping the light puntastic

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Thursday, September 3, 2009, 07:27:42 »

Any chance we could get Paul McCartney and his band on opening night ?

Paolo Di Canio, it's Paolo Di Canio
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 8   Go Up
Print
Jump to: