Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: West Ham v Millwall  (Read 14767 times)
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: Monday, August 31, 2009, 13:49:15 »

just how much money FIFA think they can make from the tournament.

i cant see them making a fortune in south africa somehow..
Spencer_White

« Reply #106 on: Monday, August 31, 2009, 16:30:32 »

Or Brazil.

And it has to be said, that Platini's objectives as UEFA boss to make football into more of a sport and less of a business are very admirable.

Yes there are some FIFA corrupt officials out there. Jack Warner is one particular disgrace. But I think England has the most greedy, money obsessed culture in world football. Playing Premier League games in China? You cant get any more greedy than that? We sold our souls a long time ago and have no right to be preachy.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: Monday, August 31, 2009, 16:48:32 »

Not sure its fair singling out football or English football, for being solely interested in money.

The NFL is playing regular games in the UK now and there will be more and more in the future, its a question of when and not if the Super Bowl will be played at Wembley. The 2015 rugby World Cup was awarded to England primarily to raise some cash for the IRR. Cricket holds a stupid number of world cups for one day and twenty20 formats and we'll most likely be hosting Pakistan home matches in the near future - money being a major factor.

The big difference with English football and especially the Premier League is that they've mastered making money out of the game to a degree the rest of the world can only dream about. Any complaints from other countries are driven by jealousy more than anything else - the Italians and Spanish would be talking about hosting games in other countries if they thought there would be interest in it. If we don't do it, someone else will.
Spencer_White

« Reply #108 on: Monday, August 31, 2009, 17:14:19 »

Not sure its fair singling out football or English football, for being solely interested in money.

Yeah, but I didnt say that did I?

We sign teenage players on pro contracts which is banned in most European countries. So there are real grievances from other countries. It's where Macheda and Fabregas have come from.

As regards Cricket, that is a very different situation. As for NFL and rugby? Who cares?
Spy

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: Tuesday, September 1, 2009, 11:59:52 »

I assume your talking about the notorious Inn on the Green incident in April 2007.  Subsequent to that game, there were arrests and successful prosecutions.

Nah not that one it was a different game.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: