Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Official Wolves v Swindon matchday thread.  (Read 43765 times)
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #435 on: Wednesday, August 26, 2009, 07:29:55 »

Only one side out there playing football last night and it wasn't Route One Wolves. Wilson will be a lot happier this morning than McCarthy and we can take a lot of pride both in our team and our fans.

Everyone on the pitch (in white) gave it their all, and never mind Wolves fielding a 2nd string side - by the end of the game, about half our team weren't 1st choice either. Difference being that our 2nd string didn't show they were. Marshall was a revelation, Kennedy really stepped up to the plate for a youngster thrown into a big game, Easton looked like he'd never been away from first choice.

Odebayi needs to learn to make a decision quicker and at this rate Paynter will either be fitter than he's ever been or dead by Christmas. Our back line were immense, Lucas is superb, really felt for Greer who'd worked his heart out for 120 mins and was dead on his feet by the time he stepped up for the pen - no shame there Gordon, take pride in a superb running through walls performance.

Bursting with pride all the way home and still hoarse this morning.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, August 26, 2009, 07:34:22 by pauld » Logged
The Artist Billy Paynter

Ignore
« Reply #436 on: Wednesday, August 26, 2009, 07:49:00 »

Great Effort from the lads.

DW has got them working hard.
glos_robin

« Reply #437 on: Wednesday, August 26, 2009, 09:32:26 »

Great performance last night, should have won but luck obviously wasn't on our side.

Backline was solid and I can see Greer and Cuthbert becoming our preferred centre back pairing sooner rather than later, the only time we gave Wolves a sniff was when we made a mistake either with a short backpass or a misplaced pass. A backline of Amankwaah, Cuthbert, Greer and JFL should be more than good enough and be a big threat from attacking set pieces.
What I will say is what a difference having a half decent keeper between the posts makes, Lucas's handling and kicking was top notch and most importantly having him in goal has definately improved the communication in the back line. Even in a packed stand you could still hear his voice above everyone else. Yes he'll probably make the odd mistake now and then but he makes both Smith and Brezovan last season look distinctly average, long may he continue in goal.

Midfield were busy and bossed the game for large parts, my only criticism was that the passing was pretty wayward from the midfielders last night but they more than made up for it by battling hard to win the ball. McNamee caused them lots of problems but I felt when Macklin and Marshall came on we really improved, the extra pace caused Wolves all kinds of problems. If Marshall plays like that whenever he gets a chance then he'll tie some league 1 players in knot,  I'm being slightly harsh but the only player I thought had a bad game was Tope who was largely useless and also a liability at times like trying to dribble the ball away from our own corned flag and he really doesn't like passing does he. I'd start either Marchall, O'Brien or Macklin ahead of him on Saturday, probably Marshall based on last night. With the defence looking relatively solid and Douglas in midfield there is more than enough cover to allow for an extra 'luxury' player and in any case Marshall does seem to try and defend so we should be OK.

Finally Paynter, as Paul said he's probably run more miles already this season than half of last season, hopefully we can get him refreshed for Saturday as he looked dead on his feet by the end tonght.

Our fitness coach will need to earn his pay check now to get all the players refreshed and ready for Southend on Saturday.

On a side note the ref was a bit fussy I thought and I'm surprised there wasn't more of a reaction when he decided to kick Tope of the pitch when he was injured which is a pretty stupid thing to do even by referee standards.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #438 on: Wednesday, August 26, 2009, 10:11:34 »

Reading the match reports from fans at the game makes me feel even prouder of the team than I was listening to it on the radio.

Well done all you great fans for making the journey and totally outsinging (from what we could hear on the radio) the Wolves fans.

I am now looking forward to games now for the first time since Sturrock was here.

Good times.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Summerof69

Ignore
« Reply #439 on: Wednesday, August 26, 2009, 10:27:55 »

That was our 3rd clean sheet in four games.

I believe we had 3 clean sheets ALL last season.

BAZINGA !!

Join the Red Army Fund and donate at www.redarmyfund.co.uk

Join the Football Supporters Federation for FREE at www.fsf.org.uk/join.php
ibelieveinmrreeves
Should've gone to Specsavers

Ignore
« Reply #440 on: Wednesday, August 26, 2009, 10:28:13 »

Tope can fuck off back to Bolton. Quick with his feet but fuck me he is slow up top. Would be inclined to give O'Brien the nod for saturday.

Really impressed with the penalty takers too. Three young lads, three excellent penalties (and you, Craig). Shame for Gordon really, but not worth losing any sleep over.

Good night really, would've been great if we'd managed to topple thme though.

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #441 on: Wednesday, August 26, 2009, 10:52:33 »

On the subject of Wolves' fans, they were shit.

The only time they made any real noise was when they did the 'Ho-ho silver lining' song before the 1st and 2nd half. Apart from that, they just copied every song we did and were very very quiet.
westcountry

Ignore
« Reply #442 on: Wednesday, August 26, 2009, 10:54:26 »

Good night last night,

had 'hello dare' shouting on our coach if anyone knows who im on about.

Atmosphere was good,

held a PL team for 120, shame we couldnt get the win in pens but still enjoyed the night,

Greer MOTM for me, despite the penalty miss. Bring on Saturday!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #443 on: Wednesday, August 26, 2009, 11:05:45 »

The only time they made any real noise was when they did the 'Ho-ho silver lining' song before the 1st and 2nd half. Apart from that, they just copied every song we did and were very very quiet.

Let's face it, a recent survey shows that most working in the West Midlands would rather not be there...it's understandable, why they're so miserable.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/aug/25/midlands-survey-population-broadband-access
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #444 on: Wednesday, August 26, 2009, 11:07:12 »

But didnt copy the 'FLASH - Ahaaaaaaaa' chant..........what cunts! Angry

Clems Army!

Ignore
« Reply #445 on: Wednesday, August 26, 2009, 11:08:49 »

wolves are one of the loudest groups of fans i've heard.when in full voice they put us to shame.
can't really expect them to get worked up about a game with us nowadays unfortunately
magicroundabout
Fanta Pants

Ignore
« Reply #446 on: Wednesday, August 26, 2009, 11:13:18 »

have to dissagree Arriba. went last season at home to Coventry and apart from We are wolves and that hi ho silver thingy they were quiet.

i even commented to my mates who i was with saying they don't sing much!

maybe i went on an off day but Coventry filled the bottom of the SB stand and could be heard for 90mins solid. even when being 1.0 & 2.1 down.

Ignore
« Reply #447 on: Wednesday, August 26, 2009, 11:19:06 »

in fairness i aint seen them play for years.but they stick in my mind as one of the loudest groups of fans i've heard.infact midlands clubs in general i've found to be loud as fuck.villa and stoke especially
westcountry

Ignore
« Reply #448 on: Wednesday, August 26, 2009, 11:22:53 »

Wolves have got to be the quietest club in west midlands (apart from Walsall) with the likes of WBA, Birmingham, Villa and Stoke around them.
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #449 on: Wednesday, August 26, 2009, 11:25:44 »

Lucas - 7 - commanded his box well, kicked well, and made some good saves. Fair play to him for taking the 5th penalty too

Amankwaah - 7 - played quite well, and was clearly knackered before we even got to 90 minutes!

Greer - 8 (MOTM) - hardly put a foot wrong, and looked solid and composed against some quality attacking players. Shame about the penalty, but it happens

Cuthbert - 7 - A good performance, I was very impressed. He was solid when defending and played the ball out of defence well

Kennedy - 7 - Fair play to the lad for making it through 120 minutes in what's probably the biggest game of his life so far. Hit his penalty well too

McNamee - 6 - Caused them some problems and hit a good shot that came off the bar with th ekeeper well beaten

Douglas - 7 - Did his usual job to his usual standard

Easton - 6 - Came in and didn't look out of place. He put in a good shift

McGovern - 6 - Not as influential tonight, perhaps because we weren't able to attack as freely. Still did a good job of chsing everything around the centre of the park though

Obadeyi - 4 - Greedy, wasteful, and off the pace. I was amazed he wasn't subbed earlier.

Paynter - 7 - Chased everything again and battled for every header. You can't ask too much more, although hi and Macklin managed to waste a great chance between them on the break

SUBS
Marshall - 7 - Came on, looked lively and scared the defence with his pace
O'Brien - 6 Didn't do too much but did look dangerous with his pace and did well to beat Hahnemann to a ball that the keeper should have had every time
Macklin - 6 - Chased defenders and worked hard, should probably have done better with a chance from a free-kick

I can't fault Wilson for his tactics, or any of the players for the effort they put in. Our fans were also fantastic, singing for the best part of 3 hours. How the Wolves fans could look pleased with their team or themselves after that is beyond me.

Bring on Southend - hopefully we'll have recovered by then!
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33   Go Up
Print
Jump to: