Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Paul Sturrock  (Read 8416 times)
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #15 on: Saturday, August 22, 2009, 11:38:36 »

Good manager at the level we were at and would have done a job for us in League 1 as well. Shockingly naive off the field though and too keen to play the people's hero to see it. Which ultimately led to his own position becoming untenable via the Portugeezers.

This.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Saturday, August 22, 2009, 13:17:21 »

I'd have him, Summerfield and Blackley back here in a shot.

I'd even go and pick them up from Plymouth.
Spencer_White

« Reply #17 on: Saturday, August 22, 2009, 13:28:50 »

The bloke is on his last legs.

Arent you enjoying our pacy wing trickery? That would never have been allowed under Sturrock.

Flat 4-4-2 was all Sturrock could play.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Saturday, August 22, 2009, 13:35:03 »

But we had roberts and zaaboub on the wings under sturrock? And if rumours are to believed it was him who earmarked mcnamee.

He had a simpe system of play - big men up front, get the ball out quickly to the wide men to cross it in, and have 2 combative midfielders in the middle, which is why we got shot of weston.

It's proved to be a very effective lower league tactic

Things get better but they never get good
Spencer_White

« Reply #19 on: Saturday, August 22, 2009, 13:47:27 »

He was always out to draw a game first and win it second. If the other team werent giving way then the games could just descend into a stifling match, each team seeing who could sit on the game more.

That said, if we went a goal up, or the other team didnt really fancy it then we did play some really good stuff.

I respect him and Im very grateful for our promotion back to this league, but I can understand why Plymouth fans are getting fed up with the same turgid style of football. Sturrock likes to stear a steady path. He wont get as far in the Championship as a Gary Johnson or a Roberto Martinez. Both of those managers had spells at Swansea and City where they were shite for quite some time, then came good and kept improving. Sturrock tends to start and finnish on a simmilar standard.

Sturrock has done so much at Plymouth that they will have to give him the respect of getting them relegated before they can replace him. A bit like the season everyone knew Brian Clough was going to get Forest relegated, but everyone accepted it had to happen before the club could move on.

So yeah, I think Sturrock will get the Janners relegated if not this season, then next season.
glos_robin

« Reply #20 on: Saturday, August 22, 2009, 13:49:25 »

Arent you enjoying our pacy wing trickery? That would never have been allowed under Sturrock.

I would agree with most of that, he did a job and got us promoted but we stuttered over the line as it took us until the last game of the season. He wasn't here long enough to leave a lasting legacy so we'll never know how good or not he really was as he never really built 'his' team.

I definately think there were signs that his style of play was becoming outdated and he was struggling to adapt to modern football when he was here. I don't think his direct style of play really cuts it anymore and this seems to be evident at Plymouth now. He seems eternally loyal to players who have played for him at other clubs which at times can be good but at others having dressing room favorites probably causes some problems.

I think his main problem now is that he seems very naive to the modern business side of football and can be manipulated too easily as Diamandis did with him. He's a proper football man but I think his management is coming to the end of it's shelf life and his network of players are getting old now and retiring from playing. It happens with managers as football changes once successful managers can get left behind and I think this is the case for Sturrock.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Saturday, August 22, 2009, 13:49:56 »

Winning > Pacy Wing Trickery

Zaaboub had his moments, as did Roberts - just like McNamee...
Spencer_White

« Reply #22 on: Saturday, August 22, 2009, 13:57:11 »

He never had 4 attacking wingers at the club at the same time.

Zaaboub was about the only attacking midfielder he bought to the club. Roberts was only out there because there wasnt anything else we could do with him.

He would have loved Jonathan Douglas though.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Saturday, August 22, 2009, 14:00:35 »

Winning > Pacy Wing Trickery

Zaaboub had his moments, as did Roberts - just like McNamee...

Difference is McNamee "has his moments" at least 4 times in every game.Believe Deev!

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Saturday, August 22, 2009, 14:04:09 »

I must have missed those 4 moments at home to Franchise...
Spencer_White

« Reply #25 on: Saturday, August 22, 2009, 14:05:58 »

Dan loves Sturrock because he was predictable.

Dan loves predictable managers because then he turns out to be right more often on football forums.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Saturday, August 22, 2009, 14:07:13 »

Dan loved Sturrock because we did well under him and we havent been the same team since.

Predictable winning is fine by me.
Spencer_White

« Reply #27 on: Saturday, August 22, 2009, 14:13:08 »

Well I dont think weve been the same since Dennis Wise left.
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #28 on: Saturday, August 22, 2009, 14:14:04 »

I don't think we've been the same since Hoddle left.
Spencer_White

« Reply #29 on: Saturday, August 22, 2009, 14:46:51 »

After Barnet away, Stockport away I could have predicted what was going to happen at Grimsby away. Fair play, after that he got Barry Corr to sign for us, and his signing got us over the line.

Im not saying Sturrock wasnt a good manager for us. But there is no way Id have him back now.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: