Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: swindon town v southampton official matchday thread  (Read 27308 times)
wheretherealredsare
Change me

Ignore
« Reply #270 on: Wednesday, August 19, 2009, 09:44:24 »

Pardew's comments smack of a man shitting himself over the possibility of becoming the second managerial casualty this season.

Fear
magicroundabout
Fanta Pants

Ignore
« Reply #271 on: Wednesday, August 19, 2009, 09:45:02 »

taken from a Saints fans site

We were awful, and I can't believe AP said on the official site that there were some good performances out there and that we deserved something from the game! One good performance from Kelvin - that's it.

Last night was a lesson in pace and movement, Swindon's wingers ran James and Harding ragged - especially Harding because he had no help from Lallana. I know we all agree the quality isn't there and we're in a transitional phase but I've never seen a professional football team so static when they're in possession!

In the first half I remember us winning the ball back on the halfway line and Wotton fed James at right-back....he looked up and there were three Saints players with their feet planted like statues, all about ten yards away from him! The Swindon lads could have had a cup of tea and a fag before telegraphing a pass and cutting it out. So James hoofed it looking for Lambert, a familiar sight at Huddersfield and last night.

And don't even get me started on throw-ins down the right. Paterson, Mellis and Lambert, all stood in a line, not a flicker of movement from one of them. So James gives it short to Schneiderlin, Swindon close down, Schneiderlin goes back to James or Lancashire for an optimistic hoof to no-one.

What with that and defending set-pieces, AP's got a lot to get on with on the training ground!

juddie

Ignore
« Reply #272 on: Wednesday, August 19, 2009, 09:47:23 »

I still have a smile on my face from last night! Cheesy
westcountry

Ignore
« Reply #273 on: Wednesday, August 19, 2009, 09:48:38 »

I still have a smile on my face from last night! Cheesy
all Swindon fans should have i think Smiley
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #274 on: Wednesday, August 19, 2009, 10:00:48 »

gutted i missed this, oh well.

i think a lot of credit needs to be given to danny for the way the side have bounced back from the gills game...i haven't seen us yet this season and won't until the wolves game but there seems to be a lot of promising stuff around (if you ignore the doom merchants on the adver site)
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #275 on: Wednesday, August 19, 2009, 10:06:53 »

This has been a great read...my hangover is subsiding, too.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Phil_S

Who changed my Avatar ?!

Ignore
« Reply #276 on: Wednesday, August 19, 2009, 10:22:33 »

I bought 3 mates who support Chelsea, Liverpool & Brissle Wovers. All well impressed, & the Rovers supporter reckons on that performance we're a cert for the play offs.

From the Dark Side
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #277 on: Wednesday, August 19, 2009, 10:39:44 »

I bought 3 mates who support Chelsea, Liverpool & Brissle Wovers. All well impressed, & the Rovers supporter reckons on that performance we're a cert for the play offs.

If we play like that all season we probably would be. However, I'm not booking my Wembley hotel room just yet Smiley

I must confess I went into the game with a certain amount of trepidation, as I took two work colleagues along - one a Saints fan who couldn't get tickets in the away end, one a neutral, Indian guy who's recently moved to Swindon and me a Rik (the Saints fan) told him he had to come and support his new town. And Rik brought along a mate who's a Liverpool fan. So I was a bit nervous that we might have a mare and that the atmosphere might go flat, as I'd then have months of "You pay to watch that?" etc etc

Needn't have worried, all very impressed. I can only repeat what's already been said by others, but the comments from my colleagues were interesting:
Rik - "Your wingers tore us apart" "We couldn't pass wind" "I wish we had a midfield like yours" "You should have scored a hatful" "Very disappointed with our supporters but yours were great"
Brahmesh - "English football is brilliant. Can I come again next time you play a team as bad as Southampton?" Smiley

And as it's school holidays, took Joe to see his first competitive evening game. He was ecstatic.

Utterly fantastic night, one of those nights that reminds you why you love football so much, if only I hadn't succumbed to some kind of lurgy to add to my pirate eyes so I could go into work and assert my bragging rights!
nevillew
Tripping the light puntastic

Ignore
« Reply #278 on: Wednesday, August 19, 2009, 10:44:37 »

If we play like that all season we probably would be. However, I'm not booking my Wembley hotel room just yet Smiley

I must confess I went into the game with a certain amount of trepidation, as I took two work colleagues along - one a Saints fan who couldn't get tickets in the away end, one a neutral, Indian guy who's recently moved to Swindon and me a Rik (the Saints fan) told him he had to come and support his new town. And Rik brought along a mate who's a Liverpool fan. So I was a bit nervous that we might have a mare and that the atmosphere might go flat, as I'd then have months of "You pay to watch that?" etc etc

Needn't have worried, all very impressed. I can only repeat what's already been said by others, but the comments from my colleagues were interesting:
Rik - "Your wingers tore us apart" "We couldn't pass wind" "I wish we had a midfield like yours" "You should have scored a hatful" "Very disappointed with our supporters but yours were great"
Brahmesh - "English football is brilliant. Can I come again next time you play a team as bad as Southampton?" Smiley

And as it's school holidays, took Joe to see his first competitive evening game. He was ecstatic.

Utterly fantastic night, one of those nights that reminds you why you love football so much, if only I hadn't succumbed to some kind of lurgy to add to my pirate eyes so I could go into work and assert my bragging rights!

Admit it, you're at home counting your doubloons aren't you ?

Paolo Di Canio, it's Paolo Di Canio
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #279 on: Wednesday, August 19, 2009, 10:45:45 »

Admit it, you're at home counting your doubloons aren't you ?
Aaaaaarrrggghhhh!
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #280 on: Wednesday, August 19, 2009, 12:20:40 »

Brahmesh is sounding like a potential convert.  And once you have achieved this, he should set to work on his 1.1 billion compatriots.
ibelieveinmrreeves
Should've gone to Specsavers

Ignore
« Reply #281 on: Wednesday, August 19, 2009, 12:30:21 »

"I wish we had a midfield like yours"

Hands up whoever thought we would ever have a midfield to be jealous of again?

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #282 on: Wednesday, August 19, 2009, 12:57:47 »

Brahmesh is sounding like a potential convert.  And once you have achieved this, he should set to work on his 1.1 billion compatriots.
That's the plan Ardiles, one step at a time. Good job we took him to his first game last night and not Saturday. So, I fall on the wisdom of the TEF, which game should I take Brahmesh to next to continue the deceit that "It's always like that watching Swindon"?
magicroundabout
Fanta Pants

Ignore
« Reply #283 on: Wednesday, August 19, 2009, 13:04:26 »

loving the sky sports take on the match

Alan Pardew's under-performing Southampton side remain without a League One win after being comprehensively outplayed by Danny Wilson's Swindon, going down 1-0 at the County Ground.

The home side dominated from the off with wingers Anthony McNamee and Jon-Paul McGovern tormenting Saints full-backs Lloyd James and Dan Harding at will.

The hosts grabbed what turned out to be the game's winner in the ninth minute after some trademark McNamee trickery down the right had earned a corner.

McGovern's inch-perfect delivery found centre-back Sean Morrison who thumped a header past a sprawling Kelvin Davis in the Southampton goal.

The Robins should have been 2-0 ahead five minutes before the break when man-of-the-match McNamee's whipped centre found Billy Paynter unmarked five yards out, but his diving header was superbly saved by Davis.

The Swindon onslaught continued throughout the second period and despite failing to get the second goal their fine play deserved, an unlikely point for the visitors never looked like coming.

apparently JPM is now a winger

reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #284 on: Wednesday, August 19, 2009, 13:10:10 »

That's the plan Ardiles, one step at a time. Good job we took him to his first game last night and not Saturday. So, I fall on the wisdom of the TEF, which game should I take Brahmesh to next to continue the deceit that "It's always like that watching Swindon"?
Wolves away would be a good one! We'll have a decent following and nobody will expect us to get anything from it. As long as he understands the whole underdog thing you can't lose. We'll have a club shop in Mumbai in no time!!!
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23   Go Up
Print
Jump to: