Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Borders Bookstore Swindon  (Read 10459 times)
Talk Talk

« Reply #15 on: Sunday, July 12, 2009, 21:52:21 »

dare I say it but the one in Madchester is even better !

Come to think of it Madchester is better full stop

Manchester is an awesome city. Complete buzz. Only Leeds is nicer oop north.
Barry Scott

« Reply #16 on: Sunday, July 12, 2009, 21:56:07 »

I think this is the first time i've been remotely moved by the closing of a large business crushing American Chain. I go in there almost weekly. Sad
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Sunday, July 12, 2009, 22:03:59 »

I was a bit surprised Borders opened in the first place, even more so by their high prices.

What's the point when you can get any book you want, cheaper, within a couple of days from Amazon?
deltaincline

« Reply #18 on: Sunday, July 12, 2009, 22:52:37 »

I was a bit surprised Borders opened in the first place, even more so by their high prices.

What's the point when you can get any book you want, cheaper, within a couple of days from Amazon?

Amazon is for cheapskate wankers.

Borders is ace for browsing and having a good look at a book before buying it. The real cheapskates can even sit in comfort and read their books cover-to-cover for fuck all if they want to, their magazine range is fucking huge and the Starbucks upstairs is a convenient place to unwind.

OK, Borders is a chain store on a shit retail park in a shit-hole nondescript, soul-less, depressing housing development, but you can't take your kids on the internet or to fucking Amazon when you're trying to encourage them to read and generally expand their knowledge base, can you?

nochee

« Reply #19 on: Sunday, July 12, 2009, 23:13:14 »

Amazon is for cheapskate wankers.

Borders is ace for browsing and having a good look at a book before buying it. The real cheapskates can even sit in comfort and read their books cover-to-cover for fuck all if they want to, their magazine range is fucking huge and the Starbucks upstairs is a convenient place to unwind.

OK, Borders is a chain store on a shit retail park in a shit-hole nondescript, soul-less, depressing housing development, but you can't take your kids on the internet or to fucking Amazon when you're trying to encourage them to read and generally expand their knowledge base, can you?

Just lost your job then?

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Monday, July 13, 2009, 00:39:55 »

Borders is nice to visit but way way over priced. You can get the same books in Asda (fiction), from Amazon or eBay (non-fiction) for a fraction of the cost.
If you really think you can get the same range of fiction in Asda as in Borders, I'd suggest your reading range may be slightly limited. That said, I'm with Yeovil - chain stores like Borders/Watermans have been slitting the throats of proper bookshops for years, now they get it back at them. Meh.
Talk Talk

« Reply #21 on: Monday, July 13, 2009, 04:55:23 »

If you really think you can get the same range of fiction in Asda as in Borders, I'd suggest your reading range may be slightly limited.
<shrug>

I don't read fiction and never have done. I'm parroting what my good lady says and yes, her reading range is pretty limited.
Talk Talk

« Reply #22 on: Monday, July 13, 2009, 05:15:17 »

Have you ever heard of a public library? That's where I took my children to get them interested in books. But then I really must be a cheapskate wanker as that didn't cost me a penny (well apart from paying for it in Council Tax).
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Monday, July 13, 2009, 07:38:54 »

Don't really care about the loss of Borders as such, though its nasty people will lose their jobs.

But the loss of Starbucks is a shit. Even if they did seem to take ages to serve you.
Don Rogers Shop

« Reply #24 on: Monday, July 13, 2009, 08:44:38 »

Have you ever heard of a public library? That's where I took my children to get them interested in books. But then I really must be a cheapskate wanker as that didn't cost me a penny (well apart from paying for it in Council Tax).
I have recently joined with my daughter and she loves it
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Monday, July 13, 2009, 08:53:41 »

If over a period of decades you fail to establish a university in the centre of town and leave an old college building derelict for 3 (?) years, you shouldn't be too surprised when bookshops start closing.
Don Rogers Shop

« Reply #26 on: Monday, July 13, 2009, 08:56:14 »

I suggest we all go to the old college and read
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #27 on: Monday, July 13, 2009, 10:05:42 »

It's got 24 hour security guards so be carful if you do go.

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Monday, July 13, 2009, 10:10:42 »

i'm in the cheapskate wanker crew.i've never bought from borders,despite quite liking the shop.the prices are just too high.my books come from the library for fuck all,amazon,or from the market stall(who buys them back when you've read them)
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Monday, July 13, 2009, 10:13:44 »

I have recently joined with my daughter and she loves it
Same as - our kids have plenty of books at home but still love going to the library and always come home with armfuls of new books. And it's not necessarily a cheapskate option if you forget to take them back and have to pay late fines, so everyone's happy
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: