Pages: 1 ... 857 858 859 [860] 861 862 863 ... 1214   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Ex Swindon Town Player Where Are They Now Thread  (Read 4292725 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #12885 on: Tuesday, January 19, 2021, 14:55:37 »

Early 1980s (I think) Scott Endersby
Scotty was a very good keeper just a little short, he won player of the season in 83/84 and his performance away at Carlisle in the FA cup was one of the best goalkeeping performances from a Town keeper I have seen.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #12886 on: Tuesday, January 19, 2021, 15:55:57 »

I can think of several really bad keepers in my time as a fan
1970s Alan Spratley
Early 1980s (I think) Scott Endersby
More recently, the Belford brothers and Reece Charles-Cook , plus of course Fryer.
I think the above were worse than Kovar - he wasn’t a success by any means, and needed replacing, but by the end some on here and elsewhere would blame him for any goal conceded, and probably would have put last Saturday’s two down to him had he still been in goal rather than Travers - look back at some matchday threads if you think I’m exaggerating.

Not sure how you can say the other Belford as he never even played a full game for us and the one he did, he saved a penalty.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #12887 on: Tuesday, January 19, 2021, 16:06:49 »

Endersby got Player of the Season in 83/84.

Imagine what the rest of the squad were like!

(This is where Reg would remind me that 83/84 was one of our worst FL campaigns... Come back Reg! Unless, he is back and I didnt notice)
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #12888 on: Tuesday, January 19, 2021, 16:38:43 »

Kovar carrying on where he left off I hear with a hat-trick of cock ups for Utd youth this evening!

The first goal is the surprising one as his footwork is up there, if not better than most of the outfield players.
The second one - a simple save at the near post is familiar as is the 3rd one, positioning himself in no-mans land.

I'd be surprised if he makes it, but then wasn't expecting Alzate to play 20 games in the prem last year, although he did have more about him.   Suspect Kovar's been signed by united because of his footwork and size, but it just doesn't look like keeping comes naturally to him.   He needs games but is going to struggle to get them on that form.

Reckon he'd be better playing up top
Trashbat?

Ignore
« Reply #12889 on: Tuesday, January 19, 2021, 16:56:13 »

I remember thinking Tom Heaton wasn't up to much during his loan here, but he had a decent career. Sadly I do not see that for Kovar, not unless he drops down to National League or League 2 for a few seasons.

I do feel sorry for him, he seems like his confidence was shot from the first game he played. I can only imagine the stick he would have got if fans had been allowed in.

BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #12890 on: Tuesday, January 19, 2021, 17:15:18 »

In all fairness to Kovar, the current Town set up has ruined him really. The move should never have happened. Had Town been cruising in mid-table to sniffing the play-offs the environment may would have been much different. Whether us fans were sold or (more likely) Wellens bullshitted us the idea that he was brilliant and ready for a low end L1 battle is neither here nor there. Town relied on him more than should have been expected. He should have been used sparingly and an older GK should have been retained to mentor him. Use him in the TinPot Trophy and or maybe a League Cup run out. Then if doing ok in the league and a match that makes little difference. Bring him on in the last 30mins to give him a taste of proper league action. If he does well, a few games later maybe give him a full league match. He then would go back end of the season with a chunk of different type of appearances and likely a bit more confidence to take on his next challenge.

It will probably take even longer for him to have self belief now because it's evident no one in the management was giving him any. I do wonder also what the fuck is Mildenhall employed for?! He obviously hasn't coached anything into the lad whilst here or we would have seen more improvement on the basics. Which then begs the question; Is Mildenhall even a decent GK Coach?...Going on 40+ goals shipped so far...possibly not.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #12891 on: Tuesday, January 19, 2021, 17:40:34 »

He was crap from day 1 bamboo. And depressingly consistent too.

I get we should have got an experienced keeper to take pressure off. But finances didn't even allow us to sign Baxter .

Also on Twitter the United fans say he was solid last season, and were surprised at yesterday's performance. That's presumably what Mildenhall saw before giving the nod
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #12892 on: Tuesday, January 19, 2021, 17:41:08 »

That's a tough one to call re Mildenhall - Benda was the exact opposite with the same GK coach.  

Not having a McCormick there doesn't help, but perhaps you just can't polish a turd
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #12893 on: Tuesday, January 19, 2021, 18:23:16 »

Mildenhall has been here with Vigs, Benda and McCormick - all good keepers and Benda and Vigs both improved under him.

Kovar was just crap and almost uncoachable.
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #12894 on: Tuesday, January 19, 2021, 18:29:57 »

He was crap from day 1 bamboo. And depressingly consistent too

I think that's my main point though, the deal should never have happened. Not with him as our No.1. Understudy and develop, as most youth loans should always be. You can't chuck an untested/inexperienced keeper in and expect him to hold his own. But Town did...We all know most keepers develop at an older age. Look at how confidence hit Quintana was at Man United initially? Not many would envisage him the kind of plaudits he gets now. Yet he had considered leaving them after one season so it shows how things can impact even (now) one of the greatest keepers around currently.

That's a tough one to call re Mildenhall - Benda was the exact opposite with the same GK coach.   

Not having a McCormick there doesn't help, but perhaps you just can't polish a turd

It is but surely that is Mildenhall's job to identify errors in a GK? It's all fine and dandy when the keeper on your hands is half decent to good - too easy to coach in that sense.

I think the McCormick (or similar) reference is quite key. Maybe you can't but I still think it was unfair to put a totally inexperienced keeper in as No.1 from the outset. It would be like putting Archie Matthews in as No.1 and then blaming him when things go south. Then again Sheridan doesn't appear to want to bother with a back up keeper any more....

'Incessant Nonsense'

BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #12895 on: Tuesday, January 19, 2021, 18:31:25 »

Kovar was just crap and mostly uncoachable...

I think we may have to revisit this statement in around 10 years or so  Wink

'Incessant Nonsense'

RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #12896 on: Tuesday, January 19, 2021, 19:13:31 »

Kovar won't make it in the game without a couple of fundamental technical changes - I really don;t know if he will be able to achieve them, I suppose that is what a good coach is there for.

For mw, he stands too upright, too tall.  It puts him on the backfoot as a keeper.  I can't explain it properly, but he plays in goal like an outfielder would.  He looked awkward at getting down, which I think was the near post issue he faced.  I don't think a good keeper would have saved some of them, but a good keeper would have looked closer to the ball, or like he was 'trying'.  Kovar looked like he had not intention of getting down there properly.

He was also like a bunny in the headlights when the box got filled-up and balls were put in - he's quiet clearly not been in that situation before.  Academy football is very  much a keep it on the floor game, and it's probably made him feel much safer than he felt when playing for us. 

The combination of those two seemed to shoot any confidence he may have had to pieces.

The latter may be solved with experience, the former seems far too fundamental a technique gap to me.  Would need a lot of work.  Travers is as tall, but looks like he enjoys the floor a bit more, same with Benda.  Kovar is the sort of keeper that, as a forward, you'd drill shots low and near to him.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #12897 on: Tuesday, January 19, 2021, 19:15:33 »

I agree with Rob pretty much word for word.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #12898 on: Tuesday, January 19, 2021, 19:47:44 »

The Newport keeper has just scored from a goal kick!

Is it a bit windy this evening?
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #12899 on: Tuesday, January 19, 2021, 19:48:48 »

He was crap from day 1 bamboo. And depressingly consistent too.
I thought he was showing signs of improvement toward the end of his time with us. It was too late by then, the damage had been on both sides, in terms of the defence's confidence in him and his confidence being shot to shit. Which by the sounds of it has continued into his first game back with United. I'm with bamboo, it was just completely the wrong move for him, he was left way too exposed.
Pages: 1 ... 857 858 859 [860] 861 862 863 ... 1214   Go Up
Print
Jump to: