Pages: 1 ... 833 834 835 [836] 837 838 839 ... 1224   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Ex Swindon Town Player Where Are They Now Thread  (Read 4349303 times)
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #12525 on: Thursday, October 1, 2020, 08:26:07 »

Scott Twine got man of the match vs Newcastle last night

I’ll be the first to admit that I assumed he’d have had 30 minutes off the bench by now this season and his spell wouldn’t amount to much. Sounds like I’ve been very wrong on that - happy for him, and hopefully it means good in the future for stfc too

I think this could be the loan spell that makes or breaks him. If he can have a good spell in league 2 then as you say that can only be good for us. I'm sure we wouldn't give him a 3 year contract if Wellens didn't think there was something about him. (we did give him 3 years didn't we?)

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #12526 on: Thursday, October 1, 2020, 08:26:39 »

A piece on Scott Lindsey - former U18’s manager

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54264102

Can't imagine it. Worst nightmare stuff. Fair play to him for carrying on.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #12527 on: Thursday, October 1, 2020, 08:30:22 »

I think this could be the loan spell that makes or breaks him. If he can have a good spell in league 2 then as you say that can only be good for us. I'm sure we wouldn't give him a 3 year contract if Wellens didn't think there was something about him. (we did give him 3 years didn't we?)
He did play well in the 60 mins or so I managed to watch yesterday, playing in a similar role to how we play Payne, attacking midfielder sat behind the striker/s, he did well against the thug Shelvey.

Newport surprised me how they wanted to play football, thats a total reversal of the last couple of season under Flynn, they don't have many players that can do it very well but fair fucks to them for trying.

If Twine can get game time, get match fit and contribute with goals it will be the best thing to happen to him.

Good luck, shame Newport were beaten on pens, Newcastle we pretty shit.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #12528 on: Thursday, October 1, 2020, 08:36:37 »

He did play well in the 60 mins or so I managed to watch yesterday, playing in a similar role to how we play Payne, attacking midfielder sat behind the striker/s, he did well against the thug Shelvey.

Newport surprised me how they wanted to play football, thats a total reversal of the last couple of season under Flynn, they don't have many players that can do it very well but fair fucks to them for trying.

If Twine can get game time, get match fit and contribute with goals it will be the best thing to happen to him.

Good luck, shame Newport were beaten on pens, Newcastle we pretty shit.

Newcastle supporting mate who watched it suggested it was the worst he had seen them play for years, also noted that Twine was making Shelvey look every inch of the lazy prima donna he is.

He also noted that he thought that Twine was probably too small to make it in the FL so who knows.
Flashheart

« Reply #12529 on: Thursday, October 1, 2020, 08:36:42 »

I think having a saleable asset might be a godsend for us this year...

Although it might not be needed depending on how much we got from Bogle.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #12530 on: Thursday, October 1, 2020, 08:40:15 »

He also noted that he thought that Twine was probably too small to make it in the FL so who knows.
Twine is small and lightweight but then so is Payne.

Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #12531 on: Thursday, October 1, 2020, 08:41:38 »

Wouldn't be surprised to see Newcastle throw in a little bid for him, a couple of hundred grand, on the basis it's small-change to them and they'd expect to pick up prospects at bargain prices on the pretext that they're throwing a lifeline to the poor lower league sops.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #12532 on: Thursday, October 1, 2020, 09:49:25 »

I think we have a similar feel around the club as we had with Macari in 85, there is a buzz that the club have at last a decent young (ex Man Utd player) as manager, we won the championship of the bottom division after being blooded in the season before doing great in some games and less so in others as the new manager removed the deadwood from previous managers.

That season we made it through the play offs and were promoted for 2 successive seasons.

Back then everyone loved playing for Macari, the fans could see what he was trying to achieve and were coming back in droves again after our lowest ever league position (again very similar).

Both are shrewd in interviews and give little away but Macari always had a smile on his face whereas Wellens is far more dour.

I do see many similarities, although Macaris fitness regime and style of football was not as entertaining it got a strong of great results, Wellens style is exciting but we still need to work on the defence a bit, the future on the pitch looks bright again at Swindon, long may it last.

I see your points, but for me there's an obvious difference,,,, cup games.... Macari generated interest (buzz) by winning cup games. Town had been a traditional cup side for years, of course things are a bit different now or so we're told, but we've not been really close to that buzz since PdC. Not withstanding the Chelsea game under Cooper, when they fielded a very strong outfit, including the lesser spotted Marco van Ginkel who may have played his only game for Chelsea, and he's now been there for 7 years and just got a new year contract

The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #12533 on: Thursday, October 1, 2020, 09:52:41 »

George Ndah’s disallowed goal and getting a ticket for parking in Aldi!
Peter Venkman

« Reply #12534 on: Thursday, October 1, 2020, 10:00:17 »

I see your points, but for me there's an obvious difference,,,, cup games.... Macari generated interest (buzz) by winning cup games. Town had been a traditional cup side for years, of course things are a bit different now or so we're told, but we've not been really close to that buzz since PdC. Not withstanding the Chelsea game under Cooper, when they fielded a very strong outfit, including the lesser spotted Marco van Ginkel who may have played his only game for Chelsea, and he's now been there for 7 years and just got a new year contract
There is no doubt that clubs can gain more of a "buzz" from a couple of good cup runs, look at Lincoln who effectively doubled their average home attendance on the back of 1 good FA cup run.

We seem to have forgotten how to win cup matches this century.

Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #12535 on: Thursday, October 1, 2020, 10:02:20 »

There is no doubt that clubs can gain more of a "buzz" from a couple of good cup runs, look at Lincoln who effectively doubled their average home attendance on the back of 1 good FA cup run.

We seem to have forgotten how to win cup matches this century.

Newport are another good example. It seems to be the last 3 or 4 seasons they always make excellent progress in the cups. Such a shame that this season's run was in front of empty stadia.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #12536 on: Thursday, October 1, 2020, 10:02:49 »

George Ndah’s disallowed goal and getting a ticket for parking in Aldi!

Dany N'Guessan  Hmmm
Peter Venkman

« Reply #12537 on: Thursday, October 1, 2020, 10:04:18 »

Newport are another good example. It seems to be the last 3 or 4 seasons they always make excellent progress in the cups. Such a shame that this season's run was in front of empty stadia.
Absolutely, they have had a couple of very good runs which brought a few fans back but their hoofball style was never going to win over many new fans, I was impressed by how much their "brand" of football has changed from one extreme to the other almost overnight, and still managed to out play a Premier League side for large parts of the game.

tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #12538 on: Thursday, October 1, 2020, 10:08:32 »

Matt Preston signs for Barnet
Peter Venkman

« Reply #12539 on: Thursday, October 1, 2020, 10:21:30 »

Matt Preston signs for Barnet
If he hadn't moved to Mansfield for the money there could be a chance he would still be with us in L1. He wasn't awful he just wasn't as good as he thought he was, too many weaknessed in his game and loved to give away fouls, often inside his own box.

Pages: 1 ... 833 834 835 [836] 837 838 839 ... 1224   Go Up
Print
Jump to: