Pages: 1 ... 690 691 692 [693] 694 695 696 ... 1214   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Ex Swindon Town Player Where Are They Now Thread  (Read 4293123 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #10380 on: Monday, October 15, 2018, 10:44:19 »

A friend of the Mrs used to run a country pub. They used to (illegitimately) stay open late and did quite a good trade with the farmers in the summer. Then they got dobbed in by someone (probably the other village pub). And that was that.

The classic model for a country pub used to be ex military or perhaps copper.... they retire early get a decent pension.  The missus would say you can't hang about doing nothing, so a village pub a good idea.  You wouldn't make much money, but didn't particularly need it.  Could live in maybe a nice part of the world and have that heart of the community feel.

4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #10381 on: Monday, October 15, 2018, 10:50:04 »

I got barred from my local many moons ago, the landlord didn't like me  Smiley
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #10382 on: Monday, October 15, 2018, 11:11:58 »

The classic model for a country pub used to be ex military or perhaps copper.... they retire early get a decent pension.  The missus would say you can't hang about doing nothing, so a village pub a good idea.  You wouldn't make much money, but didn't particularly need it.  Could live in maybe a nice part of the world and have that heart of the community feel.

He was ex-navy Smiley
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #10383 on: Monday, October 15, 2018, 15:52:06 »

I'm in a pub now.

It's where everyone should be.  Smiley

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #10384 on: Monday, October 15, 2018, 16:04:01 »

and that's why you're wobbly
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #10385 on: Monday, October 15, 2018, 16:26:46 »

I'm in a pub now.

Bit early for me.

Remember the days of old licensing laws?  You'd get the odd curious anomaly... a classic for Swindon was that pubs would open at I think 6 ( could be wrong may have been a little ) but the Goddards could serve at 5 as it was technically a hotel, so the hardcore would leave work and head for the Goddards. OT in line with many places could have all day opening on market day if required for the rural community coming into town from the sticks.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #10386 on: Monday, October 15, 2018, 17:19:53 »

Bit early for me.

Remember the days of old licensing laws?  You'd get the odd curious anomaly... a classic for Swindon was that pubs would open at I think 6 ( could be wrong may have been a little ) but the Goddards could serve at 5 as it was technically a hotel, so the hardcore would leave work and head for the Goddards. OT in line with many places could have all day opening on market day if required for the rural community coming into town from the sticks.

Trapped in the peak time window at Paddington.
What else is there to do.

Surprised more pubs didn't take advantage of the change in licensing laws for 24 hour opening.
Not many of the old 'early houses' left in London.
Maybe some around the big overnight markets, but probably a different type of clientele these days.

Would hate to see the day when visiting a pub becomes having to crowd into a Wetherspoons because everything else had closed down.

Anyway, hope Oggy can make a go of it.
Might be ok with offering basic bar snacks or allowing punters to bring food in.

Can think of a few former players who possibly relished the opportunity to get away from a professional fitness regime on retirement.
Duncan Shearer springs to mind.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
scillyred

« Reply #10387 on: Monday, October 15, 2018, 17:41:47 »

Spend many an happy hour at Paddington, as the sleeper train to/from Penzance gets in at 5.30am and leaves at 11.45 in the evening.
Odd train really, as it stops for a long period of the night on the line near Castle Carey and then stops at every station between Exeter & Penzance.
It would be quicker if I lived in Hong Kong !!

Luckily Paddington Station has been modernised and extended in recent years, which stops flashbacks of my many years commuting from O****d.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #10388 on: Monday, October 15, 2018, 18:24:57 »

I'm in a pub now.

See for me that’s also an issue. People on mobile phones or even laptops, in a pub. Gone are the days where you can actually chat in a pub without the need for mobile devices.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #10389 on: Monday, October 15, 2018, 18:40:19 »

not just pubs Sippo.

Saw something the other day that made me chuckle, " I'm having some people round to stare at their screens later and wondered if you wanted to come"
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #10390 on: Wednesday, October 17, 2018, 08:45:27 »

Really interesting interview with Mark Walters, who has a book out. I remember watching him when I was a young Town fan, but didn't really know that much about his career before us.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/oct/16/mark-walters-racism-rangers-coaching-england-aston-villa
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #10391 on: Wednesday, October 17, 2018, 09:35:27 »

I remember him kicking Beauchamp in the head at the CG.

Hero
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #10392 on: Wednesday, October 17, 2018, 18:39:31 »

I remember him kicking Beauchamp in the head at the CG.

Hero

I’d forgotten all about that. Was that the midweek 4-1? Didn’t Beauchamp react and get booked?
Flashheart

« Reply #10393 on: Wednesday, October 17, 2018, 18:46:52 »

There is a video on youtube I think, it's a joy to behold. I think Beachamp was actually stomped on the head at one point.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #10394 on: Wednesday, October 17, 2018, 19:56:09 »

Enjoy!

http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk/MatchCentre.asp?Tab=Video&MatchID=19970111

In fact, the still pic on the video is after Walters decapitated Beauchamp
Pages: 1 ... 690 691 692 [693] 694 695 696 ... 1214   Go Up
Print
Jump to: