Pages: 1 ... 500 501 502 [503] 504 505 506 ... 1221   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Ex Swindon Town Player Where Are They Now Thread  (Read 4328043 times)
Flashheart

« Reply #7530 on: Tuesday, July 26, 2016, 20:19:47 »

I don't really care about Bournemouth, or Brentford, or other teams that spend beyond their means. It'd be hypocritical to do so after all considering our fairly recent past with PDC, Wray, Black et al. I wouldn't to be too adverse to a sugar-daddy at STFC. It may be a myopic view, but it would be fun... while it lasted.

If they're spending money that they don't have then it'll catch up with them sooner or later. Or not. *shrugs shoulders*

What does bother me is that while we are/were criticised for overspending, other clubs that were doing EXACTLY the same thing, often on a grander scale, somehow escaped criticism altogether. Sometimes the criticism came from fans of the clubs that were overspending more than we were.

I remember Wilder moaning about our spending when we won the L2 title, only for it to be revealed that they lost about 4M the same year?
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #7531 on: Tuesday, July 26, 2016, 20:24:56 »

I don't really care about Bournemouth, or Brentford, or other teams that spend beyond their means. It'd be hypocritical to do so after all considering our fairly recent past with PDC, Wray, Black et al. I wouldn't to be too adverse to a sugar-daddy at STFC. It may be a shortist view, but it would be fun... while it lasted.

If they're spending money that they don't have then it'll catch up with them sooner or later. Or not. *shrugs shoulders*

What does bother me is that while we are/were criticised for overspending, other clubs that were doing EXACTLY the same thing, often on a grander scale, somehow escaped criticism altogether. Sometimes the criticism came from fans of the clubs that were overspending more than we were.

I remember Wilder moaning about our spending when we won the L2 title, only for it to be revealed that they lost about 4M the same year?

Exactly.

I was being sarcastic in my last post (I hoped that was obvious but just in case!) but what I generally find infuriating is the disparity between cheating and fairytale. It all fits a certain narrative, I suppose. But over spending is over spending.

And, as I've said before, I judge clubs (in as much as you can) by their fans, and Bournemouth have some real dickheads in my experience.

Doesn't mean I want everyone who supports them to drown in a lake of fire, or that I wouldn't want STFC to be in the Premiership (I'm not sure, but it's irrelevant to the argument).

I just don't like them because of the hypocrisy and the twattery of their fans.

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
StfcRusty

Ignore
« Reply #7532 on: Tuesday, July 26, 2016, 20:52:20 »

And, as I've said before, I judge clubs (in as much as you can) by their fans, and Bournemouth have some real dickheads in my experience.
I just don't like them because of the hypocrisy and the twattery of their fans.

Doesn't this apply to most clubs though? See our special FB page for fan twattery. Plus most of us loved the overspending of the PDC period *at the time* (because we were winning and didn't think the money would run out) and labelled criticism by the likes of Graham Turner as bitterness. Due to our chequered financial past, I should imagine other team's fans could equally accuse us of hypocrisy during the Black/PDC period in the same way as some of us are criticising Bournemouth now?
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #7533 on: Tuesday, July 26, 2016, 21:01:49 »

It is an old argument we've had many times.  I dont consider it to be their fault more the fault of the continual media 'fairytale' narrative that drives me mad. 

The merciless nature they had to take Ritchie when we were up shit creek was excellent business for them but that couple with us having put money in their buckets and all the fairytale crap has certainly made them a bete noire for me.

Never knowingly overstated.
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #7534 on: Tuesday, July 26, 2016, 21:04:34 »

Doesn't this apply to most clubs though? See our special FB page for fan twattery. Plus most of us loved the overspending of the PDC period *at the time* (because we were winning and didn't think the money would run out) and labelled criticism by the likes of Graham Turner as bitterness. Due to our chequered financial past, I should imagine other team's fans could equally accuse us of hypocrisy during the Black/PDC period in the same way as some of us are criticising Bournemouth now?

I think that's what I just explained?

I judge them on that because it's the only thing I can judge them on - I "hate" them because some of their fans are pricks. That's part of the fun of football rivalry if you want to put it like that. There are people I'm sure who hate us because some of our fans are pricks, and that's fair enough. As long as it doesn't leave the ground and a flick through the leagues in the newspaper that's pretty much how football is, isn't it? I mean I don't want to go mad but I've met some nice people in Oxford.. ! But I still "hate" them.

The hypocrisy was annoying because it came not only from them but the media, and even people with only a passing interest in football. Whatever we did in the past is irrelevant to our current situation, give or take, but we always seem to be judged for it.

Call it a persecution complex if you will, but who helped us when we were on our arse?

Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #7535 on: Tuesday, July 26, 2016, 21:07:56 »

Might be worth remembering that we nicked Charlie from under their noses when they were in the poo. You couldn't say we got the bum end of that trade-off. What comes around etc.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #7536 on: Tuesday, July 26, 2016, 21:14:18 »

Might be worth remembering that we nicked Charlie from under their noses when they were in the poo. You couldn't say we got the bum end of that trade-off. What comes around etc.

Yeah, I'm not bitter about the whole Ritchie thing. Basically what I'm trying to say is it's possible to dislike Bournemouth without hoping they all die, or not wanting a man to spend money on your team, or accepting you've fucked up previously.

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #7537 on: Tuesday, July 26, 2016, 21:41:17 »

I'd happily be where Bournemouth are now, even at the risk of doing a Pompey. What a ride.
DarloSTFC84

Twittah.. @DarloJAG84

Ignore
« Reply #7538 on: Tuesday, July 26, 2016, 21:46:13 »

I'd happily be where Bournemouth are now, even at the risk of doing a Pompey. What a ride.

Agree.

Roaming the land while you sleep..
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #7539 on: Tuesday, July 26, 2016, 21:47:19 »

Not for me I'm afraid.

Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #7540 on: Wednesday, July 27, 2016, 07:53:12 »

Not for me I'm afraid.
Nor me, I wouldn't mind getting there again but have no urge to rush back to the Premiership, it was fun.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Flashheart

« Reply #7541 on: Wednesday, July 27, 2016, 10:27:19 »

Leon 'crybaby' Clarke joins Sheffield United
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #7542 on: Wednesday, July 27, 2016, 10:32:50 »

Has he played for every team in league one yet or is that the challenge he's setting himself?

Never knowingly overstated.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #7543 on: Wednesday, July 27, 2016, 10:36:11 »

Has he played for every team in league one yet or is that the challenge he's setting himself?
I think.... 1. he has found his level and 2. he has shares in Pickfords Cheesy

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #7544 on: Wednesday, July 27, 2016, 11:03:05 »

Charlton rumoured to be signing Louis Thompson on loan from Norwich.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Pages: 1 ... 500 501 502 [503] 504 505 506 ... 1221   Go Up
Print
Jump to: