Pages: 1 ... 471 472 473 [474] 475 476 477 ... 1223   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Ex Swindon Town Player Where Are They Now Thread  (Read 4341481 times)
WestYorksRed

Ignore
« Reply #7095 on: Wednesday, April 27, 2016, 21:07:20 »

I'll put a case for the defence of Smith as well: last season, good goal at Orient away, great goal against Scunthorpe away although the latter maybe not the best match to cite given the end result. Ok he had a bit of a 50 pence head at times but always put in a shift in the games I saw him play last season. Can't comment on Wembley, have obliterated it from my memory.
derbystfc

Ignore
« Reply #7096 on: Thursday, April 28, 2016, 09:35:32 »

But we are still talking about flashes in the pan from Smith, it wasn't consistent, hes flaws outweighed the good.

You rate Smith I don't. He put a shift in, well Blair Sturrock used to put a shift in too. It could go on and on He's not here no more, move on.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #7097 on: Thursday, April 28, 2016, 10:15:08 »

But we are still talking about flashes in the pan from Smith, it wasn't consistent, hes flaws outweighed the good.

You rate Smith I don't. He put a shift in, well Blair Sturrock used to put a shift in too. It could go on and on He's not here no more, move on.

You do realise we're in Div 3? Michael Smith is still youngish and showed himself to be a decent player, although this season has been a write off for him.

Blair was never more than a squad player, who played for us without pay in the dog days of Diamond Mike....helped get us out of Div 4, so I see that as largely credit in his column.
jimbob

Ignore
« Reply #7098 on: Thursday, April 28, 2016, 10:28:46 »

I'm with Derby on this one...smith is 24 and his biggest flaw is is 1st touch. If he ain't put the work in to perfect this at his age then he ain't going to. Div 4 or conference is his level. Fuck knows what clough saw in him to think he was worth over £500k but I'm gutted we didn't get rid. Beeks is 25 and they are worlds apart in terms of quality.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #7099 on: Thursday, April 28, 2016, 10:44:21 »

If the figures on here are to be believed Smith has played the same number of games for us as Obika and scored 5 more goals?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015%E2%80%9316_Swindon_Town_F.C._season
REDBUCK

« Reply #7100 on: Thursday, April 28, 2016, 10:48:12 »

Boom, good work :-)
derbystfc

Ignore
« Reply #7101 on: Thursday, April 28, 2016, 10:51:36 »

You do realise we're in Div 3? Michael Smith is still youngish and showed himself to be a decent player, although this season has been a write off for him.

Blair was never more than a squad player, who played for us without pay in the dog days of Diamond Mike....helped get us out of Div 4, so I see that as largely credit in his column.

Yes, I know we are in Div 3

If by your reckoning a decent hold up player is someone who has a first touch as a rapist then who am i going to argue against your reasons.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #7102 on: Thursday, April 28, 2016, 11:11:46 »

Yes, I know we are in Div 3

If by your reckoning a decent hold up player is someone who has a first touch as a rapist then who am i going to argue against your reasons.

Last season, which was our highest finish in the 21st Century in Div 3, MS played in 43 games, scored 15 goals, and a couple more in the PO's.

Clough, would know that if he could get something like that out of Smith, they'd be challenging....for whatever reason it's gone pear shaped for him this season; Lee Johnson, who appears to be no mug, thought the same.

jimbob

Ignore
« Reply #7103 on: Thursday, April 28, 2016, 11:47:37 »

So smith is better than beeks Eek
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #7104 on: Thursday, April 28, 2016, 11:55:20 »

Yeah but not as good as 'Him' obviously, amazing what can be done with statistics.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #7105 on: Thursday, April 28, 2016, 12:02:23 »

tbf I'm not sure a direct comparison is at all fair, Obika's all round game is far more polished than Smith's and goals alone do not reflect his contribution to the team.

Smith was not much of a target man, he was inconsistent but showed flashes of skill
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #7106 on: Thursday, April 28, 2016, 12:07:41 »

He's allright.  When off his game his touch was poor which made him look really bad.  When on his game he was a real handful. 

Never knowingly overstated.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #7107 on: Thursday, April 28, 2016, 15:11:06 »

They're both decent players. This season Mighty Mike has gone backwards, Super Jon has made some progress....he needed to mind at 25, Whether it will be enough, to get him a decent move, we'll have to wait and see, but my guess is there won't be queue at Power's door.  It might mean he'll go off somewhere like an Adam Rooney or James Collins on the Sweatie run.
« Last Edit: Thursday, April 28, 2016, 15:13:58 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Oaksey Moonraker

Ignore
« Reply #7108 on: Thursday, April 28, 2016, 16:45:35 »

They're both decent players. This season Mighty Mike has gone backwards, Super Jon has made some progress....he needed to mind at 25, Whether it will be enough, to get him a decent move, we'll have to wait and see, but my guess is there won't be queue at Power's door.  It might mean he'll go off somewhere like an Adam Rooney or James Collins on the Sweatie run.
You could argue the turning point in Smith's career at Swindon was when we stopped playing 2 up front from end of January and brought in the extra midfielder for the latter part of the season.

We rotated Williams, Obika and Smith fantastically well through the November to December patch but as we brought the Asian Cup two back in, Cooper or Luke, decided to play Tinker man.

From 3 in form strikers fighting for 2 places it was 3 into 1 and all of their form dropped off. Got the feeling Smith was a confidence player and once that got rocked he dropped away.

Sent from my HTC One M9
FreddySTFC!

Ignore
« Reply #7109 on: Thursday, April 28, 2016, 17:11:17 »

You could argue the turning point in Smith's career at Swindon was when we stopped playing 2 up front from end of January and brought in the extra midfielder for the latter part of the season.

We rotated Williams, Obika and Smith fantastically well through the November to December patch but as we brought the Asian Cup two back in, Cooper or Luke, decided to play Tinker man.

From 3 in form strikers fighting for 2 places it was 3 into 1 and all of their form dropped off. Got the feeling Smith was a confidence player and once that got rocked he dropped away.

Very good post

I have a culture, I don't stop my culture!!
Pages: 1 ... 471 472 473 [474] 475 476 477 ... 1223   Go Up
Print
Jump to: