Pages: 1 ... 803 804 805 [806] 807 808 809 ... 1223   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Ex Swindon Town Player Where Are They Now Thread  (Read 4338592 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #12075 on: Saturday, July 18, 2020, 11:39:06 »

Rhead spotted for him.
Rhead spotted any stray food.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
bathford

Ignore
« Reply #12076 on: Saturday, July 18, 2020, 18:39:09 »

Razor Ruddock and Steve McMahon are on 'Pointless' currently showing on BBC1.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #12077 on: Saturday, July 18, 2020, 18:47:11 »

Starting now on Sky Sports Football channel - Swindon vs Sheff U Play off game - get on it for the goal fest...

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #12078 on: Saturday, July 18, 2020, 19:04:08 »

Gladwin’s strike to make it 1 nil, what a hit.

And it’s easy to forget how good Kasim was, absolute quality...  when you see this game it’s hard to comprehend where Gladwin and Kasim are now..

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #12079 on: Sunday, July 19, 2020, 09:15:40 »

When you look back at it we really should have got promoted that season with the players we had

Things get better but they never get good
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #12080 on: Sunday, July 19, 2020, 09:34:52 »

When you look back at it we really should have got promoted that season with the players we had

I think "could have" would be  better..... in mid Jan we went top, but then only won 7 of the next 20. Thus falling into the PO's.  That would be in keeping with a young inexperienced side... good on its day but not strong enough for the attrition of a Div 3 grind.

OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #12081 on: Sunday, July 19, 2020, 10:17:56 »

Won with a goal from a corner by the massive Matt Rhead who looks like he has been enjoying lockdown more than the rest of his team.

Probably with Akinfenwa. Except the big A probably got on the weights while Rhead spotted for him.
So...Halifax were playing in yellow and their goalkeeper was wearing a slightly different shade of yellow...how on earth does the referee allow that? You see it quite a bit these days...
adje

Ignore
« Reply #12082 on: Sunday, July 19, 2020, 10:23:09 »

Ruddock on pointless? How appropriate

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #12083 on: Sunday, July 19, 2020, 10:36:24 »

Would anyone fancy a Louis Thompson return? Loaned out to Dongs in January from Norwich - played 9 games.

With them being relegated I can see him being available/released.

Just seen he is contracted to 2023. Almost all of their PL squad are contracted until at least the end of next season. Going to be difficult paying PL wages in the Championship - even with parachute payments. Could be on the slippery slope similar to Hull, Stoke, Middlesbrough etc.
« Last Edit: Sunday, July 19, 2020, 10:43:12 by The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey » Logged
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #12084 on: Sunday, July 19, 2020, 10:39:05 »

I think "could have" would be  better..... in mid Jan we went top, but then only won 7 of the next 20. Thus falling into the PO's.  That would be in keeping with a young inexperienced side... good on its day but not strong enough for the attrition of a Div 3 grind.

Nah, I still think should. Wes, Luongo, toffollo, Stephens, swift and Byrne all now established at championship or above, Prime kasim getting premiership interest (was it Swansea bid £1m?) and Williams getting 20 goals

Yes it was a young team, but when you look at what a significant proportion are capable of Cooper should really have got us promoted automatically with them

Things get better but they never get good
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #12085 on: Sunday, July 19, 2020, 11:30:44 »

Nah, I still think should. Wes, Luongo, toffollo, Stephens, swift and Byrne all now established at championship or above, Prime kasim getting premiership interest (was it Swansea bid £1m?) and Williams getting 20 goals

Yes it was a young team, but when you look at what a significant proportion are capable of Cooper should really have got us promoted automatically with them

The point is that for an attritional Div 3 campaign you need some experience.... the players mentioned had potential, and will have benefitted from the experices gained that season, but they didn't have enough of it at the time. It's why you miss auto and get a PO spot, then as we know it's a lottery, but you've not really lost anything because by not finishing in the auto slots it shows that you're not quite good enough.
hefty toe

Ignore
« Reply #12086 on: Sunday, July 19, 2020, 11:56:35 »

We were slightly unfortunate in that Bristol City, Franchise and Preston were v.good sides for L1 that season finishing with v.high points tallies. Our decline in form coincided with Louis Thompson's injury. Midfield lacked defensive balance without him.
NotHarryAgombar

Ignore
« Reply #12087 on: Sunday, July 19, 2020, 19:21:44 »

I totally agree with that - Louis T’s injury was a big factor in our decline. The rest of midfield - gladwin, Karim, Luongo, Swift and Byrne were not strong when we lost possession.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #12088 on: Sunday, July 19, 2020, 20:06:21 »

I totally agree with that - Louis T’s injury was a big factor in our decline. The rest of midfield - gladwin, Karim, Luongo, Swift and Byrne were not strong when we lost possession.

Not really.... we'd only won 2 in 7 from when we went top in Jan to the start of March when Louis went lame. He'd played a lot of games and that may be part of the reason why he went lame.... it's what can happen to young players over the course of an attritioinal season. It catches up with them and form tails off anyway.

It's what made watching Anthony Grant such a pleasure last season... a seasoned pro who really knew his way round a game.... little things like drawing a foul, just so that everyone can take a bit of rest, clear heads and reorganise.
Oaksey Moonraker

Ignore
« Reply #12089 on: Sunday, July 19, 2020, 21:56:57 »

Louis Thompson dislocated his shoulder so hardly an attritional injury just an impact injury.

Valid point that City, Preston and Franchise had the experienced players and killed us off over the Easter period.

There were other factors at play with the Cooper and Williams relationship widely reported to be deteriorating. NT being declared fit for the Preston game and the speed with which the QPR moves happened afterwards maybe suggested all wasn't right or enough riding on it.

We tried to cruise into the play offs like Hoddle did in 1993 when automatic was gone. The Sheffield Utd games left us mentally and defensively shot against a highly motivated Preston team.

Had we come through the semis without the comeback drama the final could have been more equal.
Pages: 1 ... 803 804 805 [806] 807 808 809 ... 1223   Go Up
Print
Jump to: