Pages: 1 ... 800 801 802 [803] 804 805 806 ... 1223   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Ex Swindon Town Player Where Are They Now Thread  (Read 4336165 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #12030 on: Thursday, July 16, 2020, 17:06:27 »

Quote from: Costanza
Sort of sad to see Wes turn into the reliable back-up.

yup
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #12031 on: Thursday, July 16, 2020, 17:20:21 »

just profitable
Exactly, probably even as backup he will be on double his Rangers wages at least, some decent keepers have not played loads of games but made a very good living out of being backups in the Premier League.

I guess it depends on if he prefers to further his career in terms of 1st team games played or in terms of getting a million pounds a year in his bank even if he doesnt start a single match.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #12032 on: Thursday, July 16, 2020, 17:40:16 »

I know you're right, and security in this market should not be underestimated.

just think he's too good to bench warm.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #12033 on: Thursday, July 16, 2020, 17:47:39 »

I know you're right, and security in this market should not be underestimated.

just think he's too good to bench warm.
I think everyone would agree with that, especially Town fans.

But I guess it would come down to 3 season at a Championship club on say £10k per week vs sitting on the subs bench for 2 years at £25k per week (perfectly feasible in the Prem) plus any extra bonuses, even more so if they qualify for europe.

It depends on how much he values his playing career vs income.

Big career move for him, but yes it is a waste.

Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #12034 on: Thursday, July 16, 2020, 18:13:12 »

Sort of sad to see Wes turn into the reliable back-up.

It's all about the money rather than being a regular championship or league one first choice at his age

So, give no fucks
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #12035 on: Thursday, July 16, 2020, 18:30:36 »

But that goes against everything he has said himself in his recent chat with big Si Ferry on Open Goal. I suggest watching again as his view on career is quite polar to what some of you are saying about him.

Of course players say a lot of things but he seemed sincere on that aspect (and on the comments about Gerrard), I had no reason to doubt what he was saying. Especially regarding aspirations. He felt he was good enough to be a regular no.1 at Rangers. Whilst the Sheff Utd move would be great financially, I see him pushing every opportunity to be no.1 there. If he indeed does go.

QPR would be ideal if they were challenging. Somewhere like Swansea, Derby or Forest would be a good fit. Maybe even Brentford. Going to a team just promoted to the Prem would be about right.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Peter Venkman

« Reply #12036 on: Thursday, July 16, 2020, 18:37:03 »

But that goes against everything he has said himself in his recent chat with big Si Ferry on Open Goal. I suggest watching again as his view on career is quite polar to what some of you are saying about him.
Yes but at the point there wasnt a Premier league side on the verge of Europe after him, he was looking at the Championship level at the highest.

Lets see what happens if they dangle a decent wage in front of him!

BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #12037 on: Thursday, July 16, 2020, 19:18:14 »

Yes but at the point there wasnt a Premier league side on the verge of Europe after him, he was looking at the Championship level at the highest.

Lets see what happens if they dangle a decent wage in front of him!

For sure. I still expect him to take every opportunity though and it would be great to see Wes as a no.1 in the Prem. There are probably a few in the Premier League (who are no.1) that I'd say Wes is at least as good as, Heaton, Ryan and Fabianski.

Options are good for him regardless. Will watch with interest Smiley

'Incessant Nonsense'

Panda Paws

« Reply #12038 on: Thursday, July 16, 2020, 19:50:17 »

There are probably a few in the Premier League (who are no.1) that I'd say Wes is at least as good as, Heaton, Ryan and Fabianski.

You're absolutely nuts. 600+ top flight games and 100+ international caps between those three.

I love Wes, but let's get real. He's played two seasons as first choice above League 1 level, and even that is arguable.
« Last Edit: Thursday, July 16, 2020, 20:01:08 by Panda Paws » Logged
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #12039 on: Thursday, July 16, 2020, 19:56:41 »

He hasn’t been able to get past a 38 year old Alan McGregor for the past 2 seasons, only way he gets a PL start is if first a choice gets injured.

I love Wes as well but the best level he gets starts for is at an average Champ team
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #12040 on: Thursday, July 16, 2020, 20:01:47 »

Agreed with the above

JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #12041 on: Thursday, July 16, 2020, 20:02:37 »

I am not sure how you can objectively assess the ability of a former player for whom you have a degree of fondness. Inevitably, it is difficult to look at their ability (or lack of) in an objective fashion.  

Nothing to see here
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #12042 on: Thursday, July 16, 2020, 20:05:49 »

You're absolutely nuts. 600+ top flight games and 100+ international caps between those three.

Absolutely fucking brilliant.

Superb, Bamboo!
mrverve

Ignore
« Reply #12043 on: Thursday, July 16, 2020, 20:10:19 »

I thought Wes really improved Under Domenico Doardo but as soon as Paolo left he seemed to stagnate under Fraser a little, picked it up in the last season with us and surprised he didn't take that next step with Rangers.

Sheffield Utd would be a hell of a move for him.
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #12044 on: Thursday, July 16, 2020, 23:14:07 »

You're all the experts on here obviously. Having carved out successful careers in the game.

For me Heaton got a good move at Burnley at the right time, the following year they got promoted. So what in the fuck was wrong with me saying Wes could do similar by joining say Brentford (or another) and being their No.1? Wes would be a similar age as Heaton was when he moved to Burnley. I believe Wes is about 28 and Heaton is 34?

Fabianski was never Arsenals No.1 but in 7 seasons there you would expect him to at least get around 100 apps. Don't think he managed 50 in the league. A bench warmer. His Polish selection for a long time was as a No.3 or No.2 and when he has appeared for them, it has been a few games at a time. Most likely due to injury. So a nice bit of luck for him. I think one season he had 10 apps due to the injured Szczesny but reverted back to just a few per season again. It's hardly like challenging for the England No.1 jersey is it. Yet again not a regular No.1 at International level and over 14 years 50 apps is pretty low considering the amount of qualifiers/friendlies. Most keepers with that many years under their belt get around 80 apps. Someone like Seaman springs to mind. Things got a bit more consistent for Fabianski when he moved to Swansea. A club that would struggle in the Prem at the lower end. But it was his first true sense of being a regular No.1 in the top flight....when did this happen? Oh around 6 years, when he was about 29/30, so chose the correct move to become a regular No.1 but it has stayed at that lower end of the Premier League, moving on from Swansea when they got relegated to West Ham, who also tend to flirt with relegation every season. I see no different being a keeper moving from a relegated Prem Club and joining a promoted Champ club, to a keeper joining a promoted from the Champ club or a club that is 'on the up'. Just protecting their interests first but also showing that they want regular game time. Fabianski can't get that higher up which is why he plays at the bottom end AS A No.1. He could quite easily have been stuck in top end Champ squad.

So on to my last 'similar' pick. Matty Ryan. Well again, in International terms Australia isn't quite Argentina. (Just a reminder that fucking Vigoroux has international selection under his belt, where's he playing? Hmmm ).

I'll give him his dues though, his International caps to games ratio already surpassed the great Fabianski and has 6 years on him to boot. So I'll put my hands up on that one. But again there are similarities regarding career moves/stagnation. Played in the Belgian Prem which isn't known for retaining its better players (they tend to come here or Spain) and indeed he signed for Valencia in La Liga but again was never seen as or considered to be a No.1. He only started the 20 or so apps due the injury of the No.1. That's what a back up is for but yet again we are talking about keepers who want to play as a No.1 so make a move accordingly. In a similar vein of not so shocking action. Ryan, moved to Brighton as they were promoted to the Premier League.

In all three cases, these keepers have at key career points, all chose to move to perceivably smaller clubs (Fab: Ars-Swan, Hea: Card-Burn, Ryan; Val-Bri) at that moment in time to ensure that they become the No.1 at their club.

So why then, at a key career point is it so seemingly 'nuts' that Foderingham could make a move that sees him join a club smaller than Rangers, yet play at a better standard as a regular No.1?

The Alex McCarthy comment is fairly moot because if you listened to the OGPC w Si Ferry then it may give you an insight into why, and seemingly for no other reason than and I quote the manager saying to him 'you're not my kind of guy'. Foderingham hasn't even been given a fair chance under Gerrard and those reasons seem to go deeper. Incredibly harsh and you can't really prove your ability if the manager has decided to freeze you out purely on personality (or possibly other reasons) and not for football ability reasons.

It does seem some of you love to just agree with others on here because you 'know them more'. Quick to pop out at the first minute something is said different. Yet incredibly quiet the rest of the time. Never coming into agreeance when say my opinion mirrors that of whoever you are halfway up the anus of. Strange that isn't it?  Hmmm Could never be a yes man.

As I say, you're all the experts here. Especially good old Chang. Must be so clever sitting on the fence all the time waiting for an opportunity. Shame. Thought you had your own backbone and not propped up on the back of others comments.

Of course, rather than forming your own opinion, it's much easier to just say 'I agree with Nick'.

After the bullshit thrown from someone like Valid Pint and their stalker like tendencies, along with several bouts of racism recently, I'm considering going anyway. Someone wanting to personally track the comment count of myself is far too close to home to things that have happened in my real life recently. So if having posters like Valid Pint, Sir Dread Ken, Mother Brown, Hobodan (Valid Pint) and suchlike is more preferable then fill your fucking boots. I'm pretty sure some will rejoice.

See ya.

#BunchOfCunts
« Last Edit: Thursday, July 16, 2020, 23:21:26 by bamboonoshop » Logged

'Incessant Nonsense'

Pages: 1 ... 800 801 802 [803] 804 805 806 ... 1223   Go Up
Print
Jump to: