Pages: 1 ... 702 703 704 [705] 706 707 708 ... 1210   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Ex Swindon Town Player Where Are They Now Thread  (Read 4278811 times)
bigbobjoylove

Ignore
« Reply #10560 on: Monday, January 14, 2019, 16:47:31 »

You'd think with our Waterford links there would be a target man in Ireland worth a punt?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #10561 on: Monday, January 14, 2019, 16:49:40 »

Steve Morison at Millwall could still do a job as TM and hes 35 now and not been a regular for the 'wall this season, mostly sub appearances, probably well out of our wage structure though.

When Lou Macari wanted a target man, he did much as John Trollope before him, look in the non leagues for a likely big lad that you could work on to bring up to standard.

JT got Jimmy Quinn playing for Oswestry, Lou got Colin Gordon from Oldbury United. Quinny took a bit  longer than Gordon.

I remember seeing CG bundle a winner in at Spotland early in his career, and he was a proper lardarse, a couple of months of full time training and he was much fitter.

Back then though it was easier as you could bring them through using Combination games.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #10562 on: Monday, January 14, 2019, 18:08:45 »

When Lou Macari wanted a target man, he did much as John Trollope before him, look in the non leagues for a likely big lad that you could work on to bring up to standard.

JT got Jimmy Quinn playing for Oswestry, Lou got Colin Gordon from Oldbury United. Quinny took a bit  longer than Gordon.

I remember seeing CG bundle a winner in at Spotland early in his career, and he was a proper lardarse, a couple of months of full time training and he was much fitter.

Back then though it was easier as you could bring them through using Combination games.
True, I saw Quinns first combination game and Trollope played him as a centre back, at the time Quinny had not decided on his best position but that soon became clear when he signed for us and scored a load in just a couple of games as centre forward.

Gordon was a big lad but not your normal tagret man, he was not that great in the air but was a big old lump and knew where the net was.

Back then we signed Quinn for £10k and Gordon about £5k which nowadays would probably equate to around £100K & £50k these days(we signed Calderwood for £3k and Mayes only a couple of years before for a then club record £80k) not small change for non league untested players.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #10563 on: Monday, January 14, 2019, 18:18:55 »

You'd think with our Waterford links there would be a target man in Ireland worth a punt?

That'd be cheap.  They use Euros now, anyway.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #10564 on: Monday, January 14, 2019, 18:19:53 »

That'd be cheap.  They use Euros now, anyway.

Potatoes would be even cheaper!

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #10565 on: Tuesday, January 15, 2019, 14:43:28 »

Trio of players who after being released by us STILL have not got a club, as far as I know. Linganzi, Donal McDermott and Anton Rodgers. Anymore of our recent ex-players who are struggling for work?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #10566 on: Tuesday, January 15, 2019, 14:53:45 »

I assumed House was the target man...
Peter Venkman

« Reply #10567 on: Tuesday, January 15, 2019, 14:56:54 »

Trio of players who after being released by us STILL have not got a club, as far as I know. Linganzi, Donal McDermott and Anton Rodgers. Anymore of our recent ex-players who are struggling for work?
RCC and until a couple of weeks ago Ben Purkiss too. Yasir Kasim struggling to find a club too

Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #10568 on: Tuesday, January 15, 2019, 15:04:05 »

RCC and until a couple of weeks ago Ben Purkiss too. Yasir Kasim struggling to find a club too

I thought RCC had signed for a Danish side? Yasir has only just been released so I guess he still has a couple of weeks to find a club.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #10569 on: Tuesday, January 15, 2019, 15:06:20 »

Wasn't Purkiss going to Walsall only really a paper move to disrupt the petty attempts by Gordon Taylor to prevent Purkiss upsetting his gravy train?
Peter Venkman

« Reply #10570 on: Tuesday, January 15, 2019, 15:07:54 »

I thought RCC had signed for a Danish side? Yasir has only just been released so I guess he still has a couple of weeks to find a club.
RCC signed in October apparently and Kasim has been told to find a club at the start of the season he was never given a number this season.

Wasn't Purkiss going to Walsall only really a paper move to disrupt the petty attempts by Gordon Taylor to prevent Purkiss upsetting his gravy train?
I have no idea but he has to have a contract to stay in his position so could be.

Ticker45

Ignore
« Reply #10571 on: Tuesday, January 15, 2019, 16:51:12 »

Just been reading Akinfenwa's autobiography and Paul Sturrock wanted to sign him but he failed the medical due to a badly broken leg the previous season which took a long time to heal.

Also,

Akinfenwa was released by Watford as a youngster by Dave Hockaday whose opinion was that he might make it as a pro but not at top level. Suffice to say he is not a Hockaday fan!

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is unknown but today could be a whole lot better.
bigbobjoylove

Ignore
« Reply #10572 on: Tuesday, January 15, 2019, 16:53:47 »

Will Randall released by Wolves.
chrisser

Ignore
« Reply #10573 on: Tuesday, January 15, 2019, 17:04:25 »

Just been reading Akinfenwa's autobiography and Paul Sturrock wanted to sign him but he failed the medical due to a badly broken leg the previous season which took a long time to heal.

Also,

Akinfenwa was released by Watford as a youngster by Dave Hockaday whose opinion was that he might make it as a pro but not at top level. Suffice to say he is not a Hockaday fan!
Having just signed Barry Corr permanently following his loan, who was recovering from a back injury at the time, Sturrock couldn't afford to take a risk on a second injured striker. Hindsight is easy, but he probably took a chance on the wrong one

Sent from my moto g(6)
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #10574 on: Tuesday, January 15, 2019, 17:07:22 »

Having just signed Barry Corr permanently following his loan, who was recovering from a back injury at the time, Sturrock couldn't afford to take a risk on a second injured striker. Hindsight is easy, but he probably took a chance on the wrong one

Sent from my moto g(6)

I loved Barry Corr! When fit he was top notch. Never forget that goal at Bournemouth away amongst others
Pages: 1 ... 702 703 704 [705] 706 707 708 ... 1210   Go Up
Print
Jump to: